• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Home Theater System Question

DeacsPop

Resident Old Man
Reaction score
Bought a home and inherited a surround sound system with a 10-12 year old 65” Pioneer flat screen TV which I’m sure was quite an expensive piece of equipment in its day.
Included with the System is a Yamaha receiver and a TiVo unit attached with a Panamax M5400-PM surge protector unit.
It appears that the Panamax unit needs to be replaced. Researching it looks like a similar unit runs in the $550-$800 range. Yikes!!
My question to anyone who may know a hell a lot more than I do about these things.
Do I still need such a unit and if so, what might be a more reasonable and less expensive alternative?
Thanks In advance so much for the help.

I don’t know what your setup is but you can find surround sound receivers at Best Buy for under $300

1. If you have an older surround set up, like 7.1 or 5.1, you can get away with an older model receiver. (The .1 is the subwoofer).

2. If you have built ins, then your surround sound format is dictated by your speaker setup. You don’t need a 9.1 or 7.2 receiver if you only have 5 surrounds. So you don’t need to waste money on a Dolby Atmos compatible receiver if you don’t have that speaker setup.

2. Check the impedance of your surround speakers before you buy a receiver. If you have 4ohm speakers you’ll need a more powerful amp to push them, a smaller less powerful receiver will overheat trying to push 4ohm speakers.

Bought a home and inherited a surround sound system with a 10-12 year old 65” Pioneer flat screen TV which I’m sure was quite an expensive piece of equipment in its day.
Included with the System is a Yamaha receiver and a TiVo unit attached with a Panamax M5400-PM surge protector unit.
It appears that the Panamax unit needs to be replaced. Researching it looks like a similar unit runs in the $550-$800 range. Yikes!!
My question to anyone who may know a hell a lot more than I do about these things.
Do I still need such a unit and if so, what might be a more reasonable and less expensive alternative?
Thanks In advance so much for the help.

A real audiophile on here might disagree, but I don't think a $500+ surge protector is really necessary. You can get a Panamax line conditioner/surge protector for around $100 on Crutchfield.

Thanks again. The audio guy gave me the "better safe than sorry" speech.
I settled for a Panamax MR-4300 that retails for $350 but on sale on Crutchfield for $175+.
Seemed like a reasonable compromise.

Back