• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF @ UNCCH Nov. 14, 2020

Walk away from the keyboard before spilling the koolaid. Being ranked has never served Wake football especially well.

I hear you but don’t care. I always want our players to get recognized if they’ve earned it. In past seasons we haven’t always lived up to the billing. You never know if this team would thrive on it.

ESPN has projected us to the Sun Bowl.

I don't care about the rankings this week. If we beat UNC, we'll be ranked. But even better, we'll have beaten UNC.

It will be interesting to watch them against Dook this weekend. I hope they win by a big margin and get their heads back in the clouds.

I was just making the point that rankings this early in the season are useless and baseless. It's a popularity contest consisting of hype. A contest that Wake will rarely win.

I was just making the point that rankings this early in the season are useless and baseless. It's a popularity contest consisting of hype. A contest that Wake will rarely win.

It’s November. We are not early in the season anymore

It is time for Wake to be ranked. Halloween is in the rear view mirror.

Walk away from the keyboard before spilling the koolaid. Being ranked has never served Wake football especially well.

lol

let's not be successful because then we might not continue to be successful

It’s November. We are not early in the season anymore

Except that we are. This isn't a typical season for obvious reasons. The ACC is roughly 6-7 games in, the SEC 4-5 games in, and the BIG 2 games in. Lots of football still to be played.

Except that we are. This isn't a typical season for obvious reasons. The ACC is roughly 6-7 games in, the SEC 4-5 games in, and the BIG 2 games in. Lots of football still to be played.

So the ACC is more than halfway through it’s season. Definitely not too early to care about rankings

Anyone have any real analysis about our strengths and weaknesses vs UNC? I've watched all of our games but know nothing about their team.

Anyone have any real analysis about our strengths and weaknesses vs UNC? I've watched all of our games but know nothing about their team.

All you need to know is they have MACK and they are BACK

Hope we get creative with ways to disrupt and pressure Howell.

Their offense is elite. UNC is 6th in the country in yards per play (and two of the teams ahead of them have played 2 or fewer teams). In their last 4 games, UNC has scored 56 (against VT), 28 (against FSU and gained over 500 yards), 48 (against State) and 41 (against UVA). UNC is 2nd in the ACC in scoring, 1st in total offense (532 ppg), 3rd in rushing, 2nd in passing. UNC two leading rushers are on pace for 1,000 yard season and are averaging 7.8 ypc (Michael Carter) and 6.5 (Javonte Williams). UNC also has the #1 receiver in the conference, Dyami Brown, who is averaging 107 ypg and has 6 TDs. Sam Howell (who is a bit overrated IMO) is 1st in the ACC in passing efficiency. So, their offense is explosive.

UNC's defense has been spotty. Some of their stats are skewed by the Cuse game where they held them to 6, but they have given an average of over 35 ppg over the last 4 games. Also, if the game is close, UNC kicker is 6 for 11 on FGs, and they are last in the ACC in net punting. So, their special team aren't very special.

Will be a tough game, but definitely winnable.

Last edited:
Different conferences are at different places in their schedule. There are seven teams ranked who have played two or fewer games. While it is not early in the season for the ACC, it is for the Mountain West, Big10, and Pac 12, all of whom have teams among those seven, along roughly a half dozen others who are receiving votes. Unless your only concern is rankings versus other ACC teams, it's pretty early to place any real importance on rankings.

Hope we get creative with ways to disrupt and pressure Howell.

agree here - we got to Howell often last year and it helped

this has not been a strength of this year's defense so far

I don't think we're going to have an aggressive pass rush this year either. The secondary is playing well. The DL is good. They have a great running game. I'd be surprised if we blitz.

I don't think we're going to have an aggressive pass rush this year either. The secondary is playing well. The DL is good. They have a great running game. I'd be surprised if we blitz.

I think we'll be very selective with the blitz. I'd like to see us get more pressure with the front 4, Boogie needs to be Boogie and get to Howell some when we're only rushing 4.

It also works in our favor if UNC has to keep an extra blocker to contain Boogie. Gives Howell fewer options. If we can force them to go 6 on 4 against our pass rush then our secondary can go 5 on 4 against their backs and receivers. I think we take that.

Howell has been running more this year, but not anywhere near the quarterbacks we saw in the last two games. The up-tempo offense does not favor us in this game. Our best chance is to run the ball and shorten the game.

Which is all the more reason why it's important to be in them. Success begets success. Recruits notice ranked teams, period. If we want to make the "jump" to being a more consistently good program, we need the exposure that comes from being ranked. Pretending like it doesn't matter, or even that it's a negative, is just the same a "we didn't want him anyway" attitude when it comes to losing a recruit.

Clawson probably (rightly) tells his players that rankings don't matter in the locker room and practice, but you can bet he thinks they matter when he's sitting around the recruiting board with his staff. They both matter, and don't.

Last edited:
Howell has been running more this year, but not anywhere near the quarterbacks we saw in the last two games. The up-tempo offense does not favor us in this game. Our best chance is to run the ball and shorten the game.

Honestly, that's their best chance to win too.

Back