• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF @ UNCCH Nov. 14, 2020

If we slow the game down I predict our offense will ultimately play catch up especaially in the final moments of the game given UNCCH's proclivity for explosion in the offense. Hopefully, I'm dead wrong and WF ends the game with the game well in hand but for that to happen WF will need points off several TOs plus great execution for 60 complete minutes.

Hard for me to feel optimistic about this game. Fear UNC O will have a field day and our O too predictable for their D. Their D is not great, but very athletic.

Hard for me to feel optimistic about this game. Fear UNC O will have a field day and our O too predictable for their D. Their D is not great, but very athletic.

If Clawson has some stuff in his bag of tricks, this might be the game to use it. He knew, deep down, that no amount of trickeration was going to beat Clemson. NC State was real close, and I believe Clawson thought the win was there without any wrinkles. (It was...almost.)

The next four wins didn't need any trickeration, as Wake won three of the four with ease. Now, u*NC-CH game is the right time to open up those back pages of the playbook.

Also, the O-line has now had time to work together and to gel much more than it had in the first games. New voice at center making the line calls. Four of the five starters new to starting where they are playing. Strong O-line play is critical for making a lot of trick plays work, because many of them take some time to develop.

I feel very optimistic. People seem to have a view of this UNC team that isn't based in reality. They are a solid team, nothing more and nothing less. We too are a solid team and improving every game and UNC looks to be vulnerable every other week. I also love that we are sandwiched in between Duke and ND on their schedule. The only thing that worries me is losing a bit of momentum during this bye week. We will be ready.

This is your take for every game.

Yes, we all know that you believe that WF's offense, which has 9 new starters and which is averaging 37 ppg, is "predictable" and easy to defend. As an FYI, opposing ACC coaches feel differently.

I feel very optimistic. People seem to have a view of this UNC team that isn't based in reality. They are a solid team, nothing more and nothing less. We too are a solid team and improving every game and UNC looks to be vulnerable every other week. I also love that we are sandwiched in between Duke and ND on their schedule. The only thing that worries me is losing a bit of momentum during this bye week. We will be ready.

Kinda like the other Blue Wave?

This is your take for every game.

Yes, we all know that you believe that WF's offense, which has 9 new starters and which is averaging 37 ppg, is "predictable" and easy to defend. As an FYI, opposing ACC coaches feel differently.

The Wake offense is "predictable" in that it runs a lot of the "same" slow mesh RPO plays. However, in reality it is pretty varied, as any one of those plays can change from a running back run to a pass to a quarterback run during the time and space of the mesh. In a second or two, during live action, the actual play can change from "running back off tackle" to "quick slant pass" or "go route pass play" depending on what the defense does.

From a defensive coaching standpoint, that is really hard to defend. The teams that defend it best are able to get middle pressure from their defensive tackles, disrupting the play at or just after the mesh. Clemson and Michigan State were able to do that and hence slow or stop the Wake offense.

If Clawson has some stuff in his bag of tricks, this might be the game to use it. He knew, deep down, that no amount of trickeration was going to beat Clemson. NC State was real close, and I believe Clawson thought the win was there without any wrinkles. (It was...almost.)

The next four wins didn't need any trickeration, as Wake won three of the four with ease. Now, u*NC-CH game is the right time to open up those back pages of the playbook.

Also, the O-line has now had time to work together and to gel much more than it had in the first games. New voice at center making the line calls. Four of the five starters new to starting where they are playing. Strong O-line play is critical for making a lot of trick plays work, because many of them take some time to develop.

I agree and hope so...like any negative pick regarding Wake, I hope I'm wrong.....just have to play the game and see....

Last edited:
The Wake offense is "predictable" in that it runs a lot of the "same" slow mesh RPO plays. However, in reality it is pretty varied, as any one of those plays can change from a running back run to a pass to a quarterback run during the time and space of the mesh. In a second or two, during live action, the actual play can change from "running back off tackle" to "quick slant pass" or "go route pass play" depending on what the defense does.

From a defensive coaching standpoint, that is really hard to defend. The teams that defend it best are able to get middle pressure from their defensive tackles, disrupting the play at or just after the mesh. Clemson and Michigan State were able to do that and hence slow or stop the Wake offense.

You are right and it works a lot. Its just that when teams adjust (Mich St, Syracuse, UNC last year), what do we have to fall back on? Hartman has had more quick throws than Jamie, but I dont know if they were due to increasing frequency of middle pressure...

Last edited:
Execution and discipline trumps trickeration but agree WF could use some wrinkles (no great revelation).
Mostly, WF needs to play its own game for a solid 60 minutes. The team with better discipline and execution will win. Just ask our opponent.

It's obvious at this point that people are just determined not to like the offense regardless of the results. In our last 2 games against Syracuse we've scored 68 points with 470 passing yards and 340 rushing yards, plus we lost a starting QB in one of those games. And we lost in OT with our best receiver about to run into the endzone to win the game. And yet Syracuse somehow gets dropped as an example of a team that "adjusted" to our offense. Unreal.

Agree. Syracuse was more on the D last year allowing a big lumbering back-up QB who hadn't played much, lead them to 33 points. Seems it was VT who adjusted and got to Newman more in the 2nd half....hurries, sacks, etc

I mean knock on wood but I don't think we've been outscored in the 2nd half all year. Quite the adjustment from the "hold on for dear life" of last year.

The line should come down. Wake is 5-1 against the spread. That won't go unnoticed and early money will be on the Deacs.

My info shows Carolina 12-13. Agree too high. Bettors liked what they saw yesterday from Carolina against hapless Duke.

Keep that shit in the Tunnels where all the children enjoy slinging feces at each other.

Agreed. If you don't "toe the line" there, feces get piled on top of you.

Screw UNC. Their O scares me. I know Wake can hang but my question is, can the D slow them down just enough. Can we keep them from scoring 40+?

Back