• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

State of Wake Football

liveanddiedeac

Reaction score
Watching this team so far this year, I've just got the feeling that it is in really good shape. I don't know what the rest of the season holds, the schedule is extremely tough here on out. Even Duke is no bargain if we're realistic. However, seeing the quality of players we're putting on the field, younger players, guys that might not even be playing right now if not for the unique circumstances makes me feel like Clawson has this program on really solid footing. The improvement from the first 2 weeks has been impressive and again it's coming from a lot of younger players. That really isn't supposed to happen at Wake. Grobe's tenure really fell off the cliff I think in 2010 when he was forced to play a lot of younger players, but we just seem to have younger players that are a level above what we're used to having. Again, for all I know now we could lose out, but I just have a good feeling where Clawson has got us as a program not only for now, but for the future.

Good post - only thing that worries me short term is Walker entering draft. He’s special and is good at making something of nothing (which is a big need toting the rock at Wake). If that happens we’ll basically have no one with any experience coming back. Otherwise i feel good at OL, WR, QB, DB and K for the foreseeable future - good young talent in all those groups. Front 7 on D less sure about but let’s see.

Good post.

Not sure about 2010 since 2011 we were at Clemson with a chip shot field goal that, quite possibly puts us back in the ACCCG. I believe we closed the season with an easy win the next week.

Speaking of young guys getting it done, Gavin Holmes is a winner. What’s the status of his injury?

I mean Holmes, Carson, Nick A who just missed another INT on Saturday. Very impressive recruiting and player development by Clawson.

I’ve also been impressed by RT Nash coming back so quickly. O line much improved since first week.

Walker can’t enter the draft until after next season. I’m sure we will have a replacement lined up by then.

Good post.

Not sure about 2010 since 2011 we were at Clemson with a chip shot field goal that, quite possibly puts us back in the ACCCG. I believe we closed the season with an easy win the next week.

Speaking of young guys getting it done, Gavin Holmes is a winner. What’s the status of his injury?

I mean Holmes, Carson, Nick A who just missed another INT on Saturday. Very impressive recruiting and player development by Clawson.

I’ve also been impressed by RT Nash coming back so quickly. O line much improved since first week.

Right, we did come back in 2011 and did some good things, but remember Grobe didn't have a winning season at Wake after 2008. We were really bad in 2010, we only beat Presbyterian, a bad Duke team and a bad Vandy team. We failed to make a bowl in 2009 which was an atrocity with the team we had and I just don't think Grobe ever recovered coming off that collapse and the 2010 season.

Walker can’t enter the draft until after next season. I’m sure we will have a replacement lined up by then.

Like your confidence in WF's football recruiting. When WF gets the stage where Clawson just re-loads with KWIII level players (who is looking like one of the best 5 RBs in the last 30 years of WF football), look out. FWIW, WF has had two RBs drafted in the NFL common draft era (53 years), Topper Clemmons in the 8th round (NFL draft is only 7 rounds now) in 1986 and Ovie Mughelli in 4th round in 2003.

Like your confidence in WF's football recruiting. When WF gets the stage where Clawson just re-loads with KWIII level players (who is looking like one of the best 5 RBs in the last 30 years of WF football), look out. FWIW, WF has had two RBs drafted in the NFL common draft era (53 years), Topper Clemmons in the 8th round (NFL draft is only 7 rounds now) in 1986 and Ovie Mughelli in 4th round in 2003.

You though, we've had a pretty decent string of backs. Colburn and Cade were pretty good and they've been followed by CBS and KWIII. I know what you're saying about Walker, he may be a once in the decade or 2 type player for us, but it's reasonable to expect we'll have a good replacement or 2 by then.

If colburn and Cade hadn’t overlapped with each other they would’ve put up huge numbers. They are #5 and #8 on Wake’s all time yardage list, and they played three seasons together.

I'm not as excited about our receivers as some. A.T Perry needs to make a big jump next season. Morin is solid but doesn't have breakaway speed. Groulx has underwhelmed and we lose Roberson.

Greene will play at least one more season and is a great player for us but we need another like him.

Who knows, maybe Groulx and Perry will make big leaps this offseason....we need it.

Tommy Bohannon was a 7th round pick IIRC.

I think it’s more likely Walker stays for another 3 years than he leaves for the draft after 3 years.

I'm not as excited about our receivers as some. A.T Perry needs to make a big jump next season. Morin is solid but doesn't have breakaway speed. Groulx has underwhelmed and we lose Roberson.

Greene will play at least one more season and is a great player for us but we need another like him.

Who knows, maybe Groulx and Perry will make big leaps this offseason....we need it.

Roberson has made a big jump this year I think. I also think AT has looked pretty good at times. Groulx is just getting his feet wet, Morin will be fine and I think the staff are very high on Ke'Shawn Williams.

Right, we did come back in 2011 and did some good things, but remember Grobe didn't have a winning season at Wake after 2008. We were really bad in 2010, we only beat Presbyterian, a bad Duke team and a bad Vandy team. We failed to make a bowl in 2009 which was an atrocity with the team we had and I just don't think Grobe ever recovered coming off that collapse and the 2010 season.

I agree about 2009. That was sad. Especially Navy.

Roberson has made a big jump this year I think. I also think AT has looked pretty good at times. Groulx is just getting his feet wet, Morin will be fine and I think the staff are very high on Ke'Shawn Williams.

Oh Roberson has been terrific. I'm saying that we lose him after this season.

I hope Groulx proves me wrong. And yes, I'm excited about Keyshawn williams too. He and Morin will share time at the slot for the foreseeable future.

How does Perry compare to Washington at this point in his career? Does Perry have breakaway speed? I'm asking because I really don't know.

I guess what I'm saying is outside receiver is where I'm a little hesitant to feel great about. Looking at next season, after Perry and Groulx, who do we have on the outside? Banks? Anyone I'm not thinking of that we should be excited about?

Creamy, you think Roberson is leaving for the draft?

*knocks vigorously on wood*

Correct me if I'm wrong but the more I look at this roster the more I see a Wake superweapon team in 2021. Assuming nobody leaves, we would have a senior CBS, junior KW, 5th year Sam Hartman, senior Donavon G, Jr AT Perry, 5th Yr Roberson on offense and jr Carson, Anderson and others on D. That could be a fun fun year.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the more I look at this roster the more I see a Wake superweapon team in 2021. Assuming nobody leaves, we would have a senior CBS, junior KW, 5th year Sam Hartman, senior Donavon G, Jr AT Perry, 5th Yr Roberson on offense and jr Carson, Anderson and others on D. That could be a fun fun year.

Also, WF only has one senior on its OL, Je'Vonte Nash, who has really come of nowhere to have an excellent season at OT. He could return. Zach Tom is an NFL prospect, and he could go. If the OL returns in tact, look out.

Isn’t Donovan Greene only going to be a redshirt freshman next year? It sounds insane but he only played 4 games last year and this season doesn’t count for eligibility right?

Since this year doesn't count for eligibility, couldn't Terrance Davis theoretically play next year too?

Back