• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Election Month Thread: COUP falls short, nothing to see here

I get what you’re saying, but if Trump won AZ WI and GA he would have tied. The margin in PA was 80k, or a swing of 150k votes from 2016. The election was close, or not, depending on how you want to look at it.

Tie would’ve sent it to the House though, where he’d win.

I’m most racist, but, what the fuck is wrong with White people?

The need to protect white privilege. Not much has changed electorally.

The voting preference of white voters hasn't changed and it isn't going to change. If you compare the 1980 exit polls to the 2020 exit polls (yes, exit polls are problematic), the voting by race is pretty much the same. In 1980, 56% of white people voted for Reagan. In 2020, 58% of white people voted for Trump. The difference is in 1980, white, non-Hispanic people made up 79.6% of the country and 88% of the electorate. This year, white, non-Hispanic people make up 60.1% of the population and 67% of the electorate.

http://ropercenter.cornell.edu/how-groups-voted-1980

The Republican candidates (plus Perot) have gotten 55-60% of white votes in every election from 1980-2020. I think we can just assume that’s not changing no matter what. Democrats have gotten between 34-43%. Mondale, Carter, and Hillary were on the low end and Bill Clinton in ‘96 and Obama in ‘08 hit the high points at 43.

The left needs to focus policy goals on working class Americans and Americans stuck in poverty. But they need to recognize that among them, they have the best chance recruiting BIPOC voters who are either tepid Democrat voters, infrequent Democrat voters, or non-voters who could be convinced to vote Democrat. That's where the organizing and GOTV energy needs to go for Progressives in primaries and Democrats in the general.

Official Election Month Thread: Drunken morons trying to get on OANN

Or get rid of the Electoral College, pass a new Voting Rights Act, etc.

I don’t hold out much hope for winning over people who were so easily conned in 2016 and 2020. Democrats are the party of working men and women. Democrats are not the party of non-college educated white people. Stop using “working men and women” as if only non-college educated white people work.

I'm not. What I'm stressing is focusing on issues that matter to the majority of the voters, because that's how you win an election. My comment had nothing to do with race; it applies equally across all races. For example, the Democrats should have done much better with Hispanic "working men and women" in multiple states. I'm not naïve. I know exactly what Trump and his enablers did to cater to white fear. This was a different subject.

I'm not. What I'm stressing is focusing on issues that matter to the majority of the voters, because that's how you win an election. My comment had nothing to do with race; it applies equally across all races. For example, the Democrats should have done much better with Hispanic "working men and women" in multiple states. I'm not naïve. I know exactly what Trump and his enablers did to cater to white fear. This was a different subject.

There's room to grow, but Biden/Harris did about the same with Hispanic voters (65-32) as Obama/Biden did in 2008 (67-31). If you look over time, there's more volatility in Hispanic exit polling, but it averages out to Democrats winning two-thirds of Hispanic voters.

I'm saying that Democrats need to focus policy on all working people and acknowledge that's probably not going to help increase the Democrat share of white voters. Along with that, white Democrats need to understand that they won't be a majority within the party within the next 2 or 3 cycles.

There's room to grow, but Biden/Harris did about the same with Hispanic voters (65-32) as Obama/Biden did in 2008 (67-31). If you look over time, there's more volatility in Hispanic exit polling, but it averages out to Democrats winning two-thirds of Hispanic voters.

I'm saying that Democrats need to focus policy on all working people and acknowledge that's probably not going to help increase the Democrat share of white voters. Along with that, white Democrats need to understand that they won't be a majority within the party within the next 2 or 3 cycles.

As long as we have the electoral college and senate, national racial percentages won’t ever be as important as regional and state population skews, for electoral purposes. Democrats need a national unifying message by way of finding the most common concerns of all their voters. For white voters within Democratic reach, the common element seems to be lower income college educated.

You cannot compare the hispanic vote in 2016 and 2020 and act like it’s the same thing. Racist executive orders, children in cages, separating families, the comments about racists and criminals, denigrating a federal judge of Hispanic decent. It wasn’t the same, or at least shouldn’t have been. Maybe what the Democrats are doing could be better. That’s what I’m saying.

Sure, but I'm saying that Biden performed about how Democrats have been performing with Hispanic voters. Hillary won Hispanic voters 65-29 compared to Biden's 65-32. That's virtually the same. All the talk about Biden doing worse with Hispanic voters is local, South Florida and the Texas border. But even then, Biden won by considerable margins but not by enough to overwhelm the static Republican advantage with white voters. The change isn't the percentage of Democratic support among voters of a particular race. The change is the percentage of Black, Hispanic, and Asian people in the voting electorate.

So the electoral math going forward is about two things. Addressing voting rights and making sure everyone can vote which will diversify the electorate. And then, maximizing support among key groups in key areas of key states.

And I'll say a third thing I've said before. Try to juice the suburban population shifts that have led to Virginia and now Georgia quickly shifting from red to purple and then blue. Much of the suburban shift is simply suburbs (i.e. Fairfax, VA and Atlanta suburbs) becoming more diverse.

Last edited:
Trump loses again as Wisconsin Supreme Court refuses to hear his case.

ETA:

Link to Washington Post article

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/12/03/joe-biden-trump-transition-live-updates/

The official ruling was to follow the law that says that the case must start in a lower court and can't immediately go to the WI Supreme Court. The Trump team had asked to skip that step to save time.

https://apnews.com/article/election...sin-lawsuits-2917742813e06908608848410ff41b0c

Back