• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Election Month Thread: COUP falls short, nothing to see here

Tin foil hat here: If the guardsmen were on the Capitol grounds, could Trump have used them to pull off the coup?

Long after Trump is gone and forgotten, flag humping Republicans will still be stepping over homeless people, drone striking muslims, and giving black men life sentences for 3rd strike poverty crimes. Forgive me if I don't stand and applaud their abandoning Trump with 2 weeks left in his term. Go down with the ship you cowards.

Seems like there's plenty of right wing money to come in once Cruz and Hawley get to cry victim from the evil libs trying to cancel them

Bowser didn’t ask for more guardsmen until 1:30 pm on 1/6, at the earliest, once the crowd had descended upon the capitol and it became clear the original force wasn’t going to be enough. Hogan wasn’t contacted until about 2:45 pm that day.

According to Hogan they were on the same page:

"Our guard mobilized and was ready, but we couldn't actually cross over the border into D.C. without the OK. And that was quite some time. We kept running it up the flagpole –our generals talking to the National Guard generals,” Hogan told CNN’s "State of the Union" program.

“I can't speak as to what was going on the other end of the line back at the Pentagon or in the White House,” Hogan said. “I was in the middle of a meeting when my chief of staff came in and said the Capitol was under attack. We contacted – we were in contact with the mayor's office, who requested assistance. We immediately sent police assistance. I immediately called up the National Guard.”

Hogan said that eventually, his office got a call from Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy, asking to deploy the National Guard.

“All I know is that we were trying to get answers and we weren't getting answers,” Hogan said."

Bowser wasn't the problem.

welp apparently a lot of those are dated footage but whatever, still a good mashup

i would enjoy a video of someone telling Elizabeth from Knoxville, "fuck your feelings."

I guess this fits here.

Here are three things to think about this morning:

1. Joe Manchin seems to softening on the $2000 stimulus. On Friday, he said "absolutely not" to voting for it. On MTP, he said, he would support it for families who make under $75K and were impacted by Covid. He was adamantly opposed to adding DC and Puerto Rico as states. Yesterday, he said was "open" to look at presentations about why it should happen.

2. Bring in Lisa Murkowski as a Dem. She opened the door over the past few days. Tell her if she votes to end the filibuster and add two states, she will be then be welcomed and offered any committees she wants. Because after those votes, she is almost immaterial.

3. Right now, if you went to a betting site for the GOP nominee in 2024, you could get at least 50-1 on most and over 100-1 on some, for MD Gov. Larry Hogan to be the nominee. I may look into the 100+-1` sites.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/10/...action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

Over the years of his presidency, as controversies and investigations of his conduct began to grow, television became a less reliable safe space. Broadcast networks, pressured to be more aggressive in their approach to him and his aides, asked tougher questions. With the exception of Fox News, cable networks that had rushed to put him on air throughout 2016 and the early stages of his presidency clamped down, cutting back on broadcasting his live appearances in particular.

And his adventures in the White House briefing room generally did not go well and revealed the limits of his grasp of policy or current events. One Trump adviser was blunt, saying that the president did not like most aspects of his job, and that included being asked questions for which he did not know the answers.

So when Mr. Trump went to the briefing room for weeks in the spring to discuss the coronavirus, advisers said, he liked the visual aspects of his performance but not the reality of having a back and forth that led to him being condemned and ridiculed for his dangerous statements about fighting the virus with bleach and light and his fact-free assertions about everything getting better

Mr. Trump’s White House aides said he loved tweeting and then watching the chyrons on cable news channels quickly change in response. For a septuagenarian whose closest allies and aides say often exhibits the emotional development of a preteen, and for whom attention has been a narcotic, the instant gratification of his tweets was hard to match.

man, what if twitter had led with banning Trump in 2016? he's like a fucking ghost without a megaphone. fuck you twitter

man, what if twitter had led with banning Trump in 2016? he's like a fucking ghost without a megaphone. fuck you twitter

Or like 2011 when he was making baseless claims that President Obama wasn't born in the US.

Back