• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Election Month Thread: COUP falls short, nothing to see here

Not because the country rejects their message, the country hasn't been given the opportunity to hear it. Because the party rejects it. Because it is more scared of losing the Greensboro rich white guy tax do-er vote than appealing to the Ohio long-haul trucker vote.

Ph nailed it. Why did 6 million Floridians vote for a $15 minimum wage, but fewer than 6 million Floridians vote for Biden? 20% of Trump voters in Florida voted for a $15 minimum wage.

The $15 minimum wage that was part of Biden's platform and that he mentioned specifically in one of the debates?

Again, why didn't this progressive message appeal to the voters of TN and WV? You are so obsessed with your class conscientiousness that you don't appreciate how much of a turnoff your tone and message is to a large part of the country including the middle class.

Townie's irrational confidence aside, there is no democrat standing on solid ground right now with respect to how to best move the party forward. I think from a presidential perspective, you could absolutely go with the idea of choosing charisma over everything else. But that doesn't help with elections down the ballot and in midterms.

if you're reading my quivering posts this morning as confidence, let me assure you that's not it

Dude, I know a ton of one-issue voters. If a Dem candidate said, "I am strongly pro-life," they would open the door to a bunch of votes. If a Pub candidate said, "I am strongly in favor of universal healthcare," they would open the door to a bunch of votes. My wife didn't vote for Trump because he's white and she hates black people, she voted for Trump because there is nothing in the world more politically important to her than being pro-life. Full stop.

You guys have got to stop attributing voting one way or another to "stupidity." It's unbecoming and not reflective of your ability to think deeply on an issue.

Townie is spouting straight truth at you guys and you just gotta listen. Dude is smart as balls.

Trump is not completely pro-life either. He is pro-life with conditions.
Hasn’t he flip flopped most of his life? Does he stand for anything really or just say what his following wants to hear?

no, it's a "the Democratic party is trash and your bland, centrist coalition candidates are trash too"

it's not enough to simply be not the worst, you have to actually be for something other than some vague call for a return to decency and so desperate to hit the exact middle on every issue

The entire Republican strategy is vague fear mongering.

Board Dems, if Biden wins and Pubs hold the Senate, who would you want to run as Pres in 2024?

A. Biden
B. Harris
C. Whoever shines in the hypothetical Biden Cabinet like Mayor Pete
D. Take a flyer on an up-and-comer

Seems like one path for Democrats would be to pick a simple "one issue" that isn't simply against what Republicans are doing. Anti-abortion works for Republicans because it's simple and advocates believe the have a clear moral high ground. Every Republican candidate treats abortion as a simple issue with a clear moral high ground. Republicans don't even really disagree about the issue among themselves. They're in lockstep. And that disguises the fact that abortion has a complicated legal history. Most Americans are pro-choice even if they (say they) wouldn't have an abortion themselves. And that also disguises the fact that a Republican SCOTUS ushered in Roe v. Wade and almost 50 years of Republicans courts since haven't repealed it. Republican just keep chipping away at the edges of abortion to keep the fight going.

Democrats should go hard on $15 miminum wage, pro-legalization, and universal health care. They need to make those issues simple and be unified. One simple message. None of this "well actually, if you adjust for inflation, it should be close to $19.50" or trying to compromise with just medical. And for goodness sake, Democrats, if every other "first world" country can have different forms of universal health care, there's no reason why we absolutely have to have one specific version of Medicare For All. Stop fighting within the party and come up with a unified message that people can understand.

One thing is clear. The Democratic Party brand has some major problems across the board. The best way to address that is rebranding around popular policies and sticking with them. And yes, personality matters as well.

The $15 minimum wage that was part of Biden's platform and that he mentioned specifically in one of the debates?

I consider myself fairly up to date on what's going on and I had to google what Biden's position was on the minimum wage

Again, why didn't this progressive message appeal to the voters of TN and WV? You are so obsessed with your class conscientiousness that you don't appreciate how much of a turnoff your tone and message is to a large part of the country including the middle class.

There is no middle class. There is only the illusion of the middle class that the GOP and Dem establishment has convinced working class and impoverished Americans that they are in.

Board Dems, if Biden wins and Pubs hold the Senate, who would you want to run as Pres in 2024?

A. Biden
B. Harris

D.

I really don't think Biden runs again and I don't think Harris has the charisma to win. That's what these elections boil down to.

A. Biden
B. Harris

Bernie Fucking Sanders

You know who watches the debates? You.

You know who answers their doors and their phones? People who work minimum wage jobs.

There is no middle class. There is only the illusion of the middle class that the GOP and Dem establishment has convinced working class and impoverished Americans that they are in.

the return to Marx

A. Biden
B. Harris

Probably has to be Harris, but that's not who I want per se. I would take a flyer on an up-and-comer.

but this is the important part. the party would rather take a flier on a centrist candidate in KY than support progressive candidates against much less well-known senate candidates. yikes.

she became the darling of privates over more competitive centrist races in MT, IA NC and ME. That's where that money should have gone and not to Paula "I lost by 45% but was rose twitter darling" Swearigan.

Seems like one path for Democrats would be to pick a simple "one issue" that isn't simply against what Republicans are doing. Anti-abortion works for Republicans because it's simple and advocates believe the have a clear moral high ground. Every Republican candidate treats abortion as a simple issue with a clear moral high ground. Republicans don't even really disagree about the issue among themselves. They're in lockstep. And that disguises the fact that abortion has a complicated legal history. Most Americans are pro-choice even if they (say they) wouldn't have an abortion themselves. And that also disguises the fact that a Republican SCOTUS ushered in Roe v. Wade and almost 50 years of Republicans courts since haven't repealed it. Republican just keep chipping away at the edges of abortion to keep the fight going.

Democrats should go hard on $15 miminum wage, pro-legalization, and universal health care. They need to make those issues simple and be unified. One simple message. None of this "well actually, if you adjust for inflation, it should be close to $19.50" or trying to compromise with just medical. And for goodness sake, Democrats, if every other "first world" country can have different forms of universal health care, there's no reason why we absolutely have to have one specific version of Medicare For All. Stop fighting within the party and come up with a unified message that people can understand.

One thing is clear. The Democratic Party brand has some major problems across the board. The best way to address that is rebranding around popular policies and sticking with them. And yes, personality matters as well.

+1

and also be nice to centrists online

A. Biden
B. Harris

A VP Harris would waltz to the nomination if Biden steps down. I wouldn't hate it, but I'd rather have someone like Castro running, especially if he gets a cabinet post and does well there (which he would).

RJ suggests you add "E. Stacey Abrams"

Back