• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official US Soccer / World Cup '26 Thread (USA vs. Mexico 3/24 in Dallas)

talk to me about Soto

Target striker who started for U20’s that beat France in WC. Fairly limited and not really mobile but he scores goals in close and has solid hold up play. Moved to Hannover in Germany on a two year deal and never got a shot, so he ran his contract down and signed with Norwich this summer. Loaned out to Dutch second division where’s he scoring target striker goals. However the quality of the league is suspect, somewhere between MLS and USL.

Don’t think he’ll ever be our consistent starting #9 but he’s a guy you bring on when your chasing a goal and lumping it in the box.

Official US Soccer / World Cup 2022 Thread (USMNT vs. Wales TODAY @ 2:45pm)

Also eligible to play for Chile and Mexico through his parents, but his been in the US system since he was a young teenager. Grew up in California, came up through Real Salt Lake’s Arizona academy with Richie Ledezma.

Soto and Gioacchini blowing holes in my notion we need a larger target forward. Granted, weaker opposition. Also noticed Rob Stone mention that Gregg had been talking to Daryl Dike.

I’m not usually one who freaks out over the social media postings of 17 year olds but what I’m seeing on Twitter this morning involving Yunus Musah is very, very good.

He’s become boys with a bunch of the young guys real quick and they’re all buzzing on each other’s posts on IG. Him and Richards are apparently tight, which could be dope since Valencia has been rumored as a landing spot for Richards for a while now, either on loan or if Bayern sells him on.

A CM of McKennie, Musah and Adams for the next decade would be super tight. Also don’t sleep on Johnny, I think he’ll move to Europe in the next year or two. He’s playing more than any other domestic U21
CM in the Brazilian Serie A. I imagine he would be in their U20 team, but he seems equally is excited to play for the US.

I’m excited for any dual/tri/whatever national with talent to pick the US so ping as that’s what they feel on their heart. That hasn’t always been the case with more than one player apparently viewing us as a means to a World Cup appearance, rather than a country they are proud to represent.

But yeah, Musah has skills and a bright future so far.

I’m excited for any dual/tri/whatever national with talent to pick the US so ping as that’s what they feel on their heart. That hasn’t always been the case with more than one player apparently viewing us as a means to a World Cup appearance, rather than a country they are proud to represent.

But yeah, Musah has skills and a bright future so far.

Getting Dest was huge, IMO.

Official US Soccer / World Cup 2022 Thread (USMNT vs. Wales TODAY @ 2:45pm)

Sargent bullies Javi Martinez on a quick throw-in, gets behind him and lays it back to a teammate who scores from the center of the box.

Bremen up 1-0 at Bayern at the half

Richards on the bench for Bayern, Hernandez already subbed off and Pavard took a knock a few mins before the break, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him come on.

Last edited:
Damn Sargent just about gets another assist on some beautiful hold up play, springing Rashica who fluffs the opportunity.

Sargent playing as the #9 springing all of our talented Young Yanks running in behind is what I’m here for.

Sargent's assist. Nice work by him.

Scuffed Podcast claiming on Twitter that Efra Alvarez will join the USMNT camp for the match in December

I think(?) he’d have to file a one time switch to play in the match since he competed for Mexico in an official U17 tournament.

Official US Soccer / World Cup 2022 Thread (Berhalter back on the recruiting trail)

Scuffed Podcast claiming on Twitter that Efra Alvarez will join the USMNT camp for the match in December

I think(?) he’d have to file a one time switch to play in the match since he competed for Mexico in an official U17 tournament.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see him just join the camp but not play to keep his options open.

He’s had a disappointing last 18 months, but a lot of that can be attributed to the dumpster fire that had been the LAGalaxy. I don’t think he would be anywhere close to making our full national team right now, but he’s a left footed creative attacker with loads of potential, which we really don’t have in the pool. I also he thinks he’s really tight with Llanez and Soto who he grew up playing with, so I could see their recent call ups motivating him to switch. It would be nice to switch him, trot him out for the Olympics with his childhood friends. and let him challenge for real minutes over the next few years. Maybe he could also move to Europe. Regardless stealing any promising player from Mexico would be a plus.

Also Scuffed it the best USMNT podcast out there. A must listen, and they only come out with new pods when it’s relevant. Belz is that dude.

Threw on the USWNT friendly and Rose Lavelle scored a banger right before halftime. She cut in from the right and ripped a left footed shot into the upper 90 from the other side of the 18.

She's the most entertaining women's player of all time. I love watching her play.

Also Bremen and Wolfsburg play at 2:30 on ESPN+, but Sargent was pulled from the lineup at the last second due to a minor ankle injury. Will be rooting for Wolfsburg and John Brooks to get a shutout now.

Depends on if he decides to file a one time switch, which can be processed in a few days and would permanently tie him to the US. It’s what Jonathan Gonzalez (lol his career has died) did to switch to Mexico and what we hope Musah does for us. However Alvarez can’t play in friendlies like Musah until he switches because he already played for Mexico U17 in a FIFA competition and Musah hasn’t. His teammate Julian Araujo who is mentioned in the article played in the U20 WC for the US so he’d have to make a similar one time permanent switch to ever play for El Tri.

Honestly it’s a poorly written article, which doesn’t surprise me as the ESPNFC USMNT coverage is straight garbage these days. Some writer released a potential WC depth chart two weeks ago and it was incredibly simplistic. No chance Bradley makes the team, it will be Yueill if we play the way, and having Miazga and Zimmerman both on it seems pointless. It will Brooks, Richards, one of those two and then Ream or McKennie who can both play LCB and distribute.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.es...ennie-at-world-cup-2022-in-qatar?platform=amp

Anyways I imagine Alvarez will go to camp and get the vibe of the team, and see if he has a realistic chance to play in competitive matches soon. Because once he plays for the US, he can’t go back.

That's all I was saying. He can go to camp, but can't play in the friendly in Dec because it'd require him to file the switch.

Raul Jiminez fractured his skull yesterday vs. Arsenal. Small sample size, but the recovery time on that injury seems to be anywhere from 6 months to forced retirement. Terrible news. Hope is able to make a full recovery and be back on the field for Mexico in time for WCQs. Best striker in CONCACAF and sadly it's not even remotely close.

Terrifying and awful injury. Best wishes to him in his recovery.

Orlando got eliminated from the MLS playoffs last night. Daryl Dike USMNT callup for December friendly? Roster drops tomorrow

Back