• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official US Soccer / World Cup '26 Thread (USA vs. Mexico 3/24 in Dallas)

Orlando got eliminated from the MLS playoffs last night. Daryl Dike USMNT callup for December friendly? Roster drops tomorrow

He was a handful for the Revs defenders but I think I was most impressed by his foot speed. Really quick on the ball for such a physical presence.

Orlando got eliminated from the MLS playoffs last night. Daryl Dike USMNT callup for December friendly? Roster drops tomorrow

100% chance he gets called in unless he's hurt or something that we don't know about. Time to give some guys in the MLS a taste of national team and see how bad they want to work for it going forward.

Kinduv a bonus that Columbus is still alive and Berhalter can't/won't call in Zardes. Hopefully it'll give guys like Dike, Ebobisse, Akinola, Lewis, etc more playing time.

100% chance he gets called in unless he's hurt or something that we don't know about. Time to give some guys in the MLS a taste of national team and see how bad they want to work for it going forward.

Kinduv a bonus that Columbus is still alive and Berhalter can't/won't call in Zardes. Hopefully it'll give guys like Dike, Ebobisse, Akinola, Lewis, etc more playing time.

Well he has to accept the call-up, but I agree. The only thing in question is if he decides to accept or not.

DETAILED ROSTER BY POSITION (CLUB; CAPS/GOALS):

GOALKEEPERS (3): CJ Dos Santos (Benfica/POR; 0/0), Bill Hamid (D.C. United; 7/0), David Ochoa (Real Salt Lake; 0/0)

DEFENDERS (8): Julian Araujo (LA Galaxy; 0/0), Kyle Duncan (New York Red Bulls; 0/0), Marco Farfan (Portland Timbers; 0/0, Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 17/3), Mark McKenzie (Philadelphia Union; 1/0), Mauricio Pineda (Chicago Fire; 0/0), Sam Vines (Colorado Rapids; 1/0), Walker Zimmerman (Nashville SC; 12/2)

MIDFIELDERS (5): Brenden Aaronson (Philadelphia Union; 1/0), Kellyn Acosta (Colorado Rapids; 23/2), Frankie Amaya (FC Cincinnati; 0/0), Cole Bassett (Colorado Rapids; 0/0), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 16/3)

FORWARDS (6): Ayo Akinola (Toronto FC/CAN; 0/0), Efrain Alvarez (LA Galaxy; 0/0), Paul Arriola (D.C. United; 33/5), Daryl Dike (Orlando City SC; 0/0), Djordje Mihailovic (Chicago Fire; 5/1), Chris Mueller (Orlando City SC; 0/0)

I don't watch a ton of MLS. DC United's form hasn't been enjoyable for years so I only catch some here and there.

For those that watch more and know some of these guys better (I wouldn't recognize Kyle Duncan or Chris Mueller if my life depended on it), any insights? I know a few guys that have been around the USMNT before like Arriola, Long, McKenzie, Zimmerman, Aaronson, Lletget, Mihailovic, Acosta (didn't think I'd ever see his name in a national team camp list again)...but what do we think this looks like or what are you hoping for? Who are you hoping to see out on the field, what's a guess at a starting 11, etc?

I don't watch a ton of MLS. DC United's form hasn't been enjoyable for years so I only catch some here and there.

For those that watch more and know some of these guys better (I wouldn't recognize Kyle Duncan or Chris Mueller if my life depended on it), any insights? I know a few guys that have been around the USMNT before like Arriola, Long, McKenzie, Zimmerman, Aaronson, Lletget, Mihailovic, Acosta (didn't think I'd ever see his name in a national team camp list again)...but what do we think this looks like or what are you hoping for? Who are you hoping to see out on the field, what's a guess at a starting 11, etc?

I believe that Gregg stated that he will add a few players after the MLS Western Conference semifinals finish on Thursday. So you can potentially add:

Seattle: Morris, Roldan, Frei
Dallas: Pepi, Tessman, Reynolds
SKC: Busio, Lindsey
Minnesota: Dotson, Finlay?

A big reason for this camp and the Euro one last month is to prepare for the Olympics next summer, in addition to the Nations League semis/final this summer and WCQ starting in the fall. I imagine most of the MLS U23 guys being called will take part in Olympic qualifying if it is ever scheduled this spring.

Which the current roster named, I don't think we can play the 4-3-3 with a #6, which is why its baffling that Jackson Yueill wasn't called in.

With the current players and playing a weaker opponent I'd run out a 3-4-3 and go with:

Aaronson-Dike-Mueller
Arriola-Acosta-Lletget-Araujo
McKenzie-Zimmerman-Long
Hamid

Last edited:
some of the flashes of potential I've seen from Mueller are impressive, but he's pretty short -- built stocky kinda like Morris though

Pineda is a UNC grad who had a pretty decent first season for the Fire, but I don't think he projects a a long-term USMNT guy

I was a little disappointed Anthony Fontana didn't get called in. He didn't play a lot, but he performed every time he had the chance and will be taking over Aaronson's position now he's off to Salzburg.

I think this MLS selection is interesting. It's the first time I can remember where the players are very young, but also quite established. Some of them I don't see translating to a top international level, but could do very well in CONCACAF events. Many will likely end up in Europe in the next 2 or 3 years as well. That said, MLS is finally turning into a good league. There is a lot more depth on rosters, most of the better players are in their prime and they're getting top talent from Latin America at all ages. The playoffs have been really entertaining soccer. The only blemish is Nani being a petulant child match after match while missing penalty after penalty.

I also don't really rate Mueller. He's 24 and had a great month this season. He also benefits from teams focusing entirely on Nani on the opposite wing. Long is serviceable as a 4th or 5th CB, Zimmerman has never impressed me. Arriola - I think we have 3 or 4 better options right now. But the others are all around 22 or under and plenty of potential moving forward. There are loads of international games this coming year, so they'll all get their shot.

I also don't really rate Mueller. He's 24 and had a great month this season. He also benefits from teams focusing entirely on Nani on the opposite wing. Long is serviceable as a 4th or 5th CB, Zimmerman has never impressed me. Arriola - I think we have 3 or 4 better options right now. But the others are all around 22 or under and plenty of potential moving forward. There are loads of international games this coming year, so they'll all get their shot.

Olympic qualifying coming up as well, which is the priority of this camp/roster, IMO.

That said, MLS is finally turning into a good league. There is a lot more depth on rosters, most of the better players are in their prime and they're getting top talent from Latin America at all ages. The playoffs have been really entertaining soccer. The only blemish is Nani being a petulant child match after match while missing penalty after penalty.

I've only watched three or four matches this season, but I agree 100% with this.

Weah with a nice assist to tie the game. Came in as a late sub and helped Lille come back from 1-0 down to win 2-1. Good to see him out there contributing again after being off so long.

Musah plans to commit to a national team before the March 2021 international window

Good news for us? I would think so, maybe? Good chance we include him in March 2021 plans while I doubt England is planning to do that. We'll see.

Musah plans to commit to a national team before the March 2021 international window

Good news for us? I would think so, maybe? Good chance we include him in March 2021 plans while I doubt England is planning to do that. We'll see.

that would be absolutely amazing

That would be pretty amazing and I'd agree a shorter timeline favors the US, especially with England fumbling over themselves saying he can have a shot at U-21s but not with full men's team yet.

Where'd you find that sd3? Pretty good #Scoop.

Last edited:
Back