• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official US Soccer / World Cup '26 Thread (USA vs. Mexico 3/24 in Dallas)

Dotson loves that keeper's right hand side netting. Another perfect first touch to set up the 2-touch finish.

Whoops, guessed on the spelling there. Close, but not quite on the dot, son.

tenor.gif

Be me typing that joke on the couch

“Heh heh dv7 will like this one”

Main takeaway from me for being the first time seeing a U23 match in at least 4 (5?) years (with the caveat that this DR side is complete shite...):
Our technical ability is much improved. Looking more comfortable on the ball and willing to pass it around waiting for an opportunity instead of forcing one -- although this slipped a bit towards the end of the 1st half. Somewhat understandably.

Yeah, that kid has impressed

Tremendous 2 touch finish from Dotson there too. Floodgates are open. This will end up 4-0 or more I believe

There's something about being so close for so long that once you start scoring you just want more vs getting 2 early goals and there being less initiative to push for more. Thank you for coming to my psychology TED talk.

👀

So lemme get this straight...

They do a group setting to widdle the field down to 4 from 8. And then have one-off matches to determine who goes to the Olympics vs a round robin 4 team group? That's fucking stupid.

Lalas just admitted that Mexico is the top dog in CONCACAF right now

REPENT NOW PEOPLE. The end is near.

Didn't watch last night due to family/dad obligations but it sounds like we unimpressively beat a team 4-0 in a tournament. And that my friends is progress.

Also Hasani Dotson seems to be the one player shining right now. With our 1st team CM being fairly thin, I could see him getting USMNT minutes during qualifying.

Didn't watch last night due to family/dad obligations but it sounds like we unimpressively beat a team 4-0 in a tournament. And that my friends is progress.

Also Hasani Dotson seems to be the one player shining right now. With our 1st team CM being fairly thin, I could see him getting USMNT minutes during qualifying.

Our first team CM is thin? I thought that was one of our deepest positions...

Mckennie
Musah
Reyna
Aaronson
Lletget
Holmes

I don't see him above anyone on this list. And that's not including any defensive midfielders or fringe midfielders that are on the same "tier" as him.

Official US Soccer / World Cup 2022 Thread (YUNUS MUSAH IS IN!!!!!!!)

Our first team CM is thin? I thought that was one of our deepest positions...

Mckennie
Musah
Reyna
Aaronson
Lletget
Holmes

I don't see him above anyone on this list. And that's not including any defensive midfielders or fringe midfielders that are on the same "tier" as him.

McKennie, Musah and Adams. Yes.

Reyna and Aaronson are better as inverted wingers or #10's than as a box-to-box 8 in our current USMNT set-up. Lletget is a squad guy who GGG loves, but he's not a long term answer. Holmes didn't get called in to this week's friendlies, Kellyn Acosta is ahead of him. I actually really like Acosta, so I'm not moving Dotson ahead of him yet. But I could see him moving ahead of someone like Roldan, and I'm here for that.

The current 4-3-3 depth chart is probably something like this:

#9: Sargent, Zardes, Dike
IW/#10's: (start 2): Pulisic, Reyna, Weah, Aaronson
#8's (start 2): McKennie, Musah, Lletget, Acosta, Dotson(?)
#6: Adams, Yueill (I hate it, but its true)
LB: Robinson, Vines
LCB: Brooks, Richards
RCB: Long, Miazga
RB: Dest, Cannon
GK: Steffen, Turner

Last edited:
So lemme get this straight...

They do a group setting to widdle the field down to 4 from 8. And then have one-off matches to determine who goes to the Olympics vs a round robin 4 team group? That's fucking stupid.

Correct on all accounts. Why this is ok for the Olympics but nobody would ever even consider suggesting this format for World Cup qualifying tells you how stupid it really is.

Also, just want to add I think it's great that Kellyn Acosta has gotten himself to the point where he's at least part of the conversation after his career went adrift for a while.

Correct on all accounts. Why this is ok for the Olympics but nobody would ever even consider suggesting this format for World Cup qualifying tells you how stupid it really is.

Also, just want to add I think it's great that Kellyn Acosta has gotten himself to the point where he's at least part of the conversation after his career went adrift for a while.

Isn't this literally the same format as African qualifying?

I thought I remember when Bob coached Egypt that they won a group and then got drawn for a head to head vs another team in a win or die match, which was Ghana or Ivory Coast?

I missed the first half last night, but I thought they played pretty well in the last 30 minutes. Much better control and really nice overlapping attacks on the wings.

Isn't this literally the same format as African qualifying?

I thought I remember when Bob coached Egypt that they won a group and then got drawn for a head to head vs another team in a win or die match, which was Ghana or Ivory Coast?

Not sure about the year Bob was there but this year has the 10 groups of 4 and the 10 winners move on to 5 home/away aggregate score ties. I like that a lot more than a two one-off matches when they could easily do 3 matches for each team to find the top 2.

Kinda understand why Africa does what they do with 54 nations vying for their 5 spots.

Not sure about the year Bob was there but this year has the 10 groups of 4 and the 10 winners move on to 5 home/away aggregate score ties. I like that a lot more than a two one-off matches when they could easily do 3 matches for each team to find the top 2.

Kinda understand why Africa does what they do with 54 nations vying for their 5 spots.

Yep, sounds the same. Egypt just caught the shaft as the 3rd or 4th best team and drew Ghana in the home/home portion of qualifying.

McKennie, Musah and Adams. Yes.

Reyna and Aaronson are better as inverted wingers or #10's than as a box-to-box 8 in our current USMNT set-up. Lletget is a squad guy who GGG loves, but he's not a long term answer. Holmes didn't get called in to this week's friendlies, Kellyn Acosta is ahead of him. I actually really like Acosta, so I'm not moving Dotson ahead of him yet. But I could see him moving ahead of someone like Roldan, and I'm here for that.

The current 4-3-3 depth chart is probably something like this:

#9: Sargent, Zardes, Dike
IW/#10's: (start 2): Pulisic, Reyna, Weah, Aaronson
#8's (start 2): McKennie, Musah, Lletget, Acosta, Dotson(?)
#6: Adams, Yueill (I hate it, but its true)
LB: Robinson, Vines
LCB: Brooks, Richards
RCB: Long, Miazga
RB: Dest, Cannon
GK: Steffen, Turner

I may be in the minority on this but I would have Yedlin ahead of Cannon. Along with Brooks, Yedlin is one of only two guys in the player pool who are at or near their primes and who have world cup experience. Cannon is an excellent prospect but he's not the better player, at least today.

Back