• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official US Soccer / World Cup '26 Thread (USA vs. Mexico 3/24 in Dallas)

I can't believe the Qatar WC is going to be next year in the winter.

It feels like I was only just outraged by the decision to award them the World Cup like a year ago.

It feels like I was only just outraged by the decision to award them the World Cup like a year ago.

I can't believe the World Cup just happened and we weren't in it.

I'm still pissed. One of the main perks of being is a teacher is that I can stay up all night and watch summer World Cup and Olympics on the other side of the world. Now I'm just going to have burn a bunch of sick days in Nov/Dec 2022. Glad I've been saving them due to the pandemic.

Also the second March friendly opponent is rumored to be a Euro based Jamaican squad in Belfast. They just got a few more England dual/nat switches including Michel Antonio, and the have a semi-legit squad now. Could see them and Canada leaping Costa Rica and Panama to become the third and fourth place teams in the confederation. Also don't sleep on Surinam and Curacuo. They've been also getting some legit Dutch dual nat switches. CONCACAF is going to get a whole lot more competitive soon.

Last edited:
Antonio is a handful. I guess he gave up on playing for England and wanted to try to make a World Cup somehow.

Glad to see other countries in our region getting better. We need to get pushed more in our region.

Chelsea undefeated under Tuchel and Pulisic has only started one match. Not good. Chelsea looking pretty good without him.

U-23 Camp roster has been released. Final 20-man roster for Olympic qualifying tournament will come from this group:

U-23 USMNT TRAINING CAMP ROSTER BY POSITION (CLUB; HOMETOWN):

GOALKEEPERS (4): Matt Freese (Philadelphia Union; Wayne, Pa.), Jonathan Klinsmann (LA Galaxy; Munich, Germany), JT Marcinkowski (San Jose Earthquakes, Alamo, Calif.), David Ochoa (Real Salt Lake; Oxnard, Calif.)

DEFENDERS (10): Julian Araujo (LA Galaxy; Lompoc, Calif.), George Bello (Atlanta United FC; Douglasville, Ga.), Marco Farfan (LAFC; Gresham, Ore.), Justen Glad (Real Salt Lake; Tucson, Ariz.), Aaron Herrera (Real Salt Lake; Las Cruces, N.M.), Henry Kessler (New England Revolution; New York, N.Y.), Mauricio Pineda (Chicago Fire FC; Bolingbrook, Ill.), Miles Robinson (Atlanta United FC; Arlington, Mass.), Austin Trusty (Colorado Rapids; Media, Pa.), Sam Vines (Colorado Rapids; Colorado Springs, Colo.)

MIDFIELDERS (8): Frankie Amaya (FC Cincinnati; Santa Ana, Calif.), Cole Bassett (Colorado Rapids; Littleton, Colo.), Johnny Cardoso (Internacional/BRA; Denville, N.J.), Hassani Dotson (Minnesota United FC; Federal Way, Wash.), Andrés Perea (Orlando City SC; Medellin, Colombia), Tanner Tessmann (FC Dallas; Hoover, Ala.), Eryk Williamson (Portland Timbers; Alexandria, Va.), Jackson Yueill (San Jose Earthquakes; Bloomington, Minn.)

FORWARDS (9): Jesús Ferreira (FC Dallas; McKinney, Texas), Brooks Lennon (Atlanta United FC; Paradise Valley, Ariz.), Jonathan Lewis (Colorado Rapids; Plantation, Fla.), Ulysses Llanez (Heerenveen/NED; Lynwood, Calif.), Benji Michel (Orlando City SC; Orlando, Fla.), Djordje Mihailovic (CF Montreal/CAN; Jacksonville, Fla.), Ricardo Pepi (FC Dallas; McKinney, Texas), Sebastian Saucedo (UNAM Pumas/MEX; Park City, Utah), Sebastian Soto (Norwich City/ENG; San Diego, Calif.)

Only real surprise is that Konrad wasn't released. Barca better give him some actual first team PT. He's not gaining any worthwhile experience playing with Barca B in the Spanish third/fourth division.

Only real surprise is that Konrad wasn't released. Barca better give him some actual first team PT. He's not gaining any worthwhile experience playing with Barca B in the Spanish third/fourth division.

He can still be released for the actual tournament, fwiw.

He can still be released for the actual tournament, fwiw.

Yes, but I'd be surprised if he is. The Olympics are from July 23-Aug 8th, which is during the heart of the European preseason. Players like Konrad who are trying to break into the first team will not want to miss that. I'd love to see our better U23s play, but I'd wager that if we qualify, the Olympic team will mostly be the same as this one. You get three overage exceptions and they'll also probably come from MLS or players not getting chances in Europe, like Llanez or Soto.

Anyhoo from that roster I'd cut:
Klinsmann, Farfan, Trusty, Kessler, Bello, Perea, Dotson, Amaya, Lennon, Michel, Pepi,

First XI:
Lewis-Ferreria-Llanez
Bassett-Yueill-Tessman
Vines-Pineda-Robinson-Herrera
Freese

Soto backup #9 - play when going more direct
Mihailovic provides depth on wing and at #8/10
Saucedo depth on wing
Williamson can play either CM
Cardozo can play #8 or #6
Araujo back up RB, Herrera can play LB
Marcinkowski and Ochoa backup keepers, for some dumb reason you have to keep 3 with a 20 man roster.

There are matches every 2-3 days so there will be a lot of rotation. Every field player will play.

Yes, but I'd be surprised if he is. The Olympics are from July 23-Aug 8th, which is during the heart of the European preseason. Players like Konrad who are trying to break into the first team will not want to miss that. I'd love to see our better U23s play, but I'd wager that if we qualify, the Olympic team will mostly be the same as this one. You get three overage exceptions and they'll also probably come from MLS or players not getting chances in Europe, like Llanez or Soto.

Anyhoo from that roster I'd cut:
Klinsmann, Farfan, Trusty, Kessler, Bello, Perea, Dotson, Amaya, Lennon, Michel, Pepi,

First XI:
Lewis-Ferreria-Llanez
Bassett-Yueill-Tessman
Vines-Pineda-Robinson-Herrera
Freese

Soto backup #9 - play when going more direct
Mihailovic provides depth on wing and at #8/10
Saucedo depth on wing
Williamson can play either CM
Cardozo can play #8 or #6
Araujo back up RB, Herrera can play LB
Marcinkowski and Ochoa backup keepers, for some dumb reason you have to keep 3 with a 20 man roster.

There are matches every 2-3 days so there will be a lot of rotation. Every field player will play.

Yeah, that's fair. Also, go ahead and cut all Atlanta United players. It looks like they just pulled the callup on their 3 guys.

Yeah, that's fair. Also, go ahead and cut all Atlanta United players. It looks like they just pulled the callup on their 3 guys.

I was curious when I saw that they let them go. They're about the only MLS team that doesn't play ball. Every other team wants their young players to get scouted and have their transfer value increased with international minutes. Official youth caps also help you to get work permits.

So I guess switch out Kessler for Robinson. That's a bummer though, Miles is by far the best CB of that group. And he could certainly use the caps to qualify for future work permits. He needs to move to Europe it the next year if ever wants to be a full USMNT regular.

I was curious when I saw that they let them go. They're about the only MLS team that doesn't play ball. Every other team wants their young players to get scouted and have their transfer value increased with international minutes. Official youth caps also help you to get work permits.

So I guess switch out Kessler for Robinson. That's a bummer though, Miles is by far the best CB of that group. And he could certainly use the caps to qualify for future work permits. He needs to move to Europe it the next year if ever wants to be a full USMNT regular.

Everything I've seen says that only senior team appearances/caps help with work permits? Where did you see that youth team appearances count for work permits?

Everything I've seen says that only senior team appearances/caps help with work permits? Where did you see that youth team appearances count for work permits?

You're right, youth caps only help U21 players under the new UK permit rules, which is what I was referring to. I believe other countries have similar stipulations. So Robinson is too old for it to matter. However Bello, who many project to be on the move next summer, would certainly benefit from getting official U.S. youth caps.

https://www.sporting11.com/blog/2020/12/2/work-permits-2021

Slightly different rules apply to Youth Players, i.e. players aged under 21 on the date of GBE application, and take into account a variety of competitions, such as the U17 and U20 global and continental tournaments, UEFA Youth League, and even the invitational Toulon Tournament, as well as the Olympics.

Back