• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official US Soccer / World Cup '26 Thread (USA vs. Mexico 3/24 in Dallas)

Isn't this literally the same format as African qualifying?

I thought I remember when Bob coached Egypt that they won a group and then got drawn for a head to head vs another team in a win or die match, which was Ghana or Ivory Coast?

Looks like last time around it works like we are suggesting. There were home-and-home in the earlier rounds, no different than how CONCACAF used to do it, but the matches that actually determine who goes were all group play with the group winner advancing to the WC:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(CAF)

So at least one bad match didn't eliminate your chances of qualifying.

Looks like last time around it works like we are suggesting. There were home-and-home in the earlier rounds, no different than how CONCACAF used to do it, but the matches that actually determine who goes were all group play with the group winner advancing to the WC:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(CAF)

So at least one bad match didn't eliminate your chances of qualifying.

Yep, glad they changed it. They used the format I was thinking of in 2014:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(CAF)

Giovanni Reyna, Josh Sargent and Chris Richards are all now set to be available for the friendly against Northern Ireland after initially only being expected to face Jamaica on March 25 in Austria.

Also, Nicholas Gioacchini has been given permission to join up with the USMNT ahead of the upcoming friendlies vs. Jamaica and Northern Ireland. The 20-year-old forward had recently been forced to withdraw from the squad due to COVID restrictions, but changes to quarantine protocols in the city where his club is based allowed him to be readmitted.

from

https://sbisoccer.com/2021/03/reyna...i-is-back-in-after-being-cleared-to-to-travel

I know this is a dead rubber and the semifinal on Sunday is all that matters but FUCK MEXICO. Also we’re closing on our new home tomorrow, so I can stay up and have a few drinks since I took a vacation day.

I don’t hate this lineup, I think it sets up well for us to hit them on the counter especially in the CM. Kessler/Pineda CB pairing is a worrying though. I hope Johnny starts at the 6, Perea and Dotson have shown better as high energy 8’s.

Araujo is getting abused on Mexico's left. US has plenty of opportunity if they make a couple quick passes in the midfield. Mexico is over pressing.

Damn, Mexico keeper looked in pain, broken arm/elbow?

Wrist I think. He jammed it punching Perea after he missed the ball.

Seb Soto stupid turnover the only difference right now. I’m actually encouraged by our display through 60 mins. This is the Mexico A/B U23 squad, it’s our C/D squad.

If you're playing 90 minutes against a team that is pressing full field, you need to create some chances on the break. We had none that I recall. Just slow, plodding attack. Part of that was a rough surface where we couldn't put quick passes together but more lack of focus/confidence. No big deal, next game is most important then we can bring in a better side for the Olympics.

Glad I decided to not stay up and watch the match last night.

It was a pointless game anyways, man.

BareFrightenedAfricanrockpython-small.gif

The annoying thing is they usually do this when there's a pre-game. You told me 1pm so I'd tune in for the last 20 minutes of First Take? wtf?

Sure looks like Dest is just fine at left back. He’s been out best player and not because of that blast of a goal.

Is Dest really about to put in the best performance of all time for a USMNT outfield player?

Aaronson looking great. Sargent with a great move to set it up too.

Back