• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official US Soccer / World Cup '26 Thread (USA vs. Mexico 3/24 in Dallas)

So many other names that could be considered as well. Balogun from Arsenal? Pepi from Dallas. Clark from NYRB (probably needed to be involved at the Gold Cup to break into WCQ but the talent is there). Julian Green in the Bundesliga. Joe Scally if her gets minutes...

So many other names that could be considered as well. Balogun from Arsenal? Pepi from Dallas. Clark from NYRB (probably needed to be involved at the Gold Cup to break into WCQ but the talent is there). Julian Green in the Bundesliga. Joe Scally if her gets minutes...

Balogun - there was a clickbait rumor on Twitter about his committing to the USMNT, but that's all it was. He's an obvious potential addition should he choose us.
Pepi - September would be too soon for him
Clark - same, plus your point about not being on the GC team
Scally - I watched him play for Gladbach the other day and he's the real deal. I just don't see it happening next month. Like Balogun, however, should we qualify, yes
Green - Yes, I would have him as a bubble guy

Balogun - there was a clickbait rumor on Twitter about his committing to the USMNT, but that's all it was. He's an obvious potential addition should he choose us.
Pepi - September would be too soon for him
Clark - same, plus your point about not being on the GC team
Scally - I watched him play for Gladbach the other day and he's the real deal. I just don't see it happening next month. Like Balogun, however, should we qualify, yes
Green - Yes, I would have him as a bubble guy

I'm fine slow playing those guys into the fold except for Pepi. If he keeps scoring, Mexico will come calling. Mori showed enough in the GC to lock down the starting job but after that? They don't have much. I guess if Raul comes back then the only open slot would be their #3 striker, but I bet they are courting Pepi hard behind the scenes.

Breaking: first look at USMNT WCQ 23 man roster*

GK: Steffen, Horvath, Turner
D: A Robinson, Brooks, M Robinson, Dest, Miazga/McKenzie (one of the two), Cannon/Moore (one of the two), Richards
MF: McKennie, Adams, Acosta, Musah, Aaronson, Lletget
F: Pulisic, Reyna, Sargent, Weah, Zardes, Hoppe

Bubble guys: Yedlin, Giaochinni, Dike, Sands, Roldan, Siebatcheu, Reynolds, Zimmerman, Busio, Konrad de la Fuente

I'm sure that I'm missing someone. Not my preferred list (Lletget, for example), but guys I see Berhalter picking.

Call me a Dike homer but he has so much upside both short and long term over Sargent and Zardes that you have to give him a spot. He at least needs a chance to play with 1st teamers as think he would be a beast when teams have other players they have to defend. Have not seen anything special from Sargent when played in nations league and other games and Zardes too old and up and down. You just don’t have players with his size and ability to hold the ball and attack it in the air.

Call me a Dike homer but he has so much upside both short and long term over Sargent and Zardes that you have to give him a spot. He at least needs a chance to play with 1st teamers as think he would be a beast when teams have other players they have to defend. Have not seen anything special from Sargent when played in nations league and other games and Zardes too old and up and down. You just don’t have players with his size and ability to hold the ball and attack it in the air.

I love Dike. His upside is far superior, no doubt. However, this list was based on next month's WCQs, what GGG will likely do, and in no way accounts for future potential.

I think a 2022 WC team sheet will look much different.

I see Acosta and Adams in the same role, no? I think we move forward with Acosta as the backup to Adams, which is still incredibly important. Coming into this summer, that was by far our biggest drop off in positional depth.

Fully agree that they're the top two guys for that deep lying central role. Adams is so versatile though that you could play him and McKennie on either side of Acosta. I like Musah as much as anyone and he may well be in one of those two spots, but I would bet we'll see plenty of Adams and Acosta on the field at the same time.

Fully agree that they're the top two guys for that deep lying central role. Adams is so versatile though that you could play him and McKennie on either side of Acosta. I like Musah as much as anyone and he may well be in one of those two spots, but I would bet we'll see plenty of Adams and Acosta on the field at the same time.

But then GGG can't start Lleget and the world might stop turning

Sorry, no GGG slander will be had on this thread until September. I apologize

E7zykKfXIAQIt0d

did not realize Berhalter had a stint with the Raleigh Flyers -- young juice might have seen him play

Ochoa chooses Mexico after sitting on the US bench for the Nations League and Mexico bench for the Gold Cup, files one time switch to FIFA.

Later bro, enjoy eating our ass for the next 10 years.

Ochoa chooses Mexico after sitting on the US bench for the Nations League and Mexico bench for the Gold Cup, files one time switch to FIFA.

He watched Matt Turner last night and realize his next chance to play a meaningful USMNT game would be sometime in the next decade. Turner, Steffen, Horvath will be our GKs for the next two or three cycles if they stay healthy. That should give us time to unearth the next generation of keepers. Odunze is apparently training with Leicester's first team this summer.

I also expect Araujo to switch, and there's smoke that Jonathan Gomez is going to file a switch as well. And that one hurts. But if those three go and we keep Pepi I can live with it.

I've never been a big fan of either Zardes or Acosta. But their work rate for 120+ minutes v Mexico was honestly ridiculous, and add Hoppe in there too. Re-watching the game this evening there were several things that stood out. Our Gold Cup squad never gave up belief or confidence under pressure from Mexico. That was HUGE ! Turner, Acosta, Robinson, Zardes and Hoppe refused to give Mexico any mental advantage. I realize now that the crazy work rate and mental strength are huge in learning to win. Being skillful and learning to execute decisively are the next level for our younger guys. But our Gold Cup leaders have shown the way. Applause for them.

Hey, at least he cost us an Olympic berth before he left, amirite?

Official US Soccer / World Cup '22 Thread (US 1-0 Mexico; USA C team wins Gold Cup)

Very cool. Acosta is that guy. I’ll raise you a similarly great tidbit.

Very cool. Acosta is that guy. I’ll raise you a similarly great tidbit.

Just saw this Hoppe link on instagram. Was about to post it. Amazing

Back