• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official US Soccer / World Cup '26 Thread (USA vs. Mexico 3/24 in Dallas)

Swedish defending was horrible for those last two goals. Keeper looked like she was bjorn yesterday

Washington Spirit front 3 for USWNT!

I'd like to offer a somewhat friendly amendment to your motion. They've been playing Sanchez at left middie, and I'd like her to start there over Horan. And I've wanted them to start Rodman over Morgan at striker. Bring Morgan in as a late sub, especially in the knockouts so she is there for penalties (though at least Morgan and Rodman are better choices than we currently have at striker than the men currently have - I'd kind of prefer a healthy Reyna over Ferrara as more of a false 9). But I've been thrilled with Pugh and Smith as our wing forwards, and I like them a lot more than Hatch.

The other changes I'd make are I'm not thrilled with Sullivan as the center middie, and Sauerbrun is done and Cook isn't trustworthy as center backs - they were abused by that good Haitian striker. I'm hoping Dahlkemper is healthy and that Johnson-Ertz comes back from having her baby, and they return her to center back. Then we can play Lavelle or a Mewis at the 6. I'm also fine with all of our wing backs. It's down the middle that are the issues.

Anyone heard where the US - Japan match will be played in September? Going to be in Spain the following week and figured I'd head out early if its in Western Europe as initially rumored.

I'd like to offer a somewhat friendly amendment to your motion. They've been playing Sanchez at left middie, and I'd like her to start there over Horan. And I've wanted them to start Rodman over Morgan at striker. Bring Morgan in as a late sub, especially in the knockouts so she is there for penalties (though at least Morgan and Rodman are better choices than we currently have at striker than the men currently have - I'd kind of prefer a healthy Reyna over Ferrara as more of a false 9). But I've been thrilled with Pugh and Smith as our wing forwards, and I like them a lot more than Hatch.

The other changes I'd make are I'm not thrilled with Sullivan as the center middie, and Sauerbrun is done and Cook isn't trustworthy as center backs - they were abused by that good Haitian striker. I'm hoping Dahlkemper is healthy and that Johnson-Ertz comes back from having her baby, and they return her to center back. Then we can play Lavelle or a Mewis at the 6. I'm also fine with all of our wing backs. It's down the middle that are the issues.

Sullivan is not a competent DMF replacement for Ertz. Somebody new is deperately needed in the pipeline at that position ( remember Ertz started as a CB so let's find a player to develop asap for the 6). Sullivan is 28 or 29 y/o and has never been good enough to break into the team. Hopefully Ertz decides to come back and can make it for one more cycle. Horan has always been too slow and held the ball too much and that was amplified in the Concacaf W because she was playing injured. Sauerbrunn is totally done. Aside from Pugh and Smith it's clear we've lost some speed and athleticism since 2019 and that will be a problem against England, France, Spain and Germany in the WC. We're at the beginning of our recycling and young player development where they are all much farther ahead in theirs.

Anyone heard where the US - Japan match will be played in September? Going to be in Spain the following week and figured I'd head out early if its in Western Europe as initially rumored.

I saw one tweet that said Duisburg, Germany. Just a shot in the dark though

Sullivan is not a competent DMF replacement for Ertz. Somebody new is deperately needed in the pipeline at that position ( remember Ertz started as a CB so let's find a player to develop asap for the 6). Sullivan is 28 or 29 y/o and has never been good enough to break into the team. Hopefully Ertz decides to come back and can make it for one more cycle. Horan has always been too slow and held the ball too much and that was amplified in the Concacaf W because she was playing injured. Sauerbrunn is totally done. Aside from Pugh and Smith it's clear we've lost some speed and athleticism since 2019 and that will be a problem against England, France, Spain and Germany in the WC. We're at the beginning of our recycling and young player development where they are all much farther ahead in theirs.

I agree completely, which is why we should have been starting Sanchez and Rodman in this cycle to give them some more experience. But who else do we have to play CB and the 6 if Ertz and Dahlkemper can't go? We have 4 solid options as wing backs, but England, France and Germany will eat Sullivan, Sauerbrun and Cook alive.

I agree completely, which is why we should have been starting Sanchez and Rodman in this cycle to give them some more experience. But who else do we have to play CB and the 6 if Ertz and Dahlkemper can't go? We have 4 solid options as wing backs, but England, France and Germany will eat Sullivan, Sauerbrun and Cook alive.

Wish I knew. I do think Tierna Davidson can replace Sauerbrunn nicely if she recovers. As far as the RCB position ( Dahlkemper's) I don't know. Cook seems a bit lost and overhyped to me. I like Girma's knowledge and understanding better than Cook's but she's still very, very young. To me if Ertz can't play I'd start Kristie Mewis over Sullivan at the 6. Sullivan just doesn't have the talent to play at the World Cup level. If Sam Mewis can't play we could get by rotating Sanchez, Horan, Lavelle, kristie Mewis and maybe develop Jaelin Howell into the rotation. You could add Sonnett in there too; she's a plug and play type. Obviously we could try to get some midfield minutes from Heath or Press if necessary. The key for me is who plays the 6 instead of Sullivan.

Good game between Germany and France today - was hoping for extra time. Popp is having a great tournament. And I think it's fair to say England, Germany and France are currently playing at a higher level than we are.

Fuck England

You'd rather Germany win? I'm not a huge fan of either, but this is the best England team I've seen, and unfortunately, I think their level of play (and Germany's) is better than what we currently have to offer. We need Dahlkemper, Davidson and Ertz back something fierce.

You'd rather Germany win? I'm not a huge fan of either, but this is the best England team I've seen, and unfortunately, I think their level of play (and Germany's) is better than what we currently have to offer. We need Dahlkemper, Davidson and Ertz back something fierce.

Yes.

I wasn't really impressed by either of them, though that was the first match of the tournament I have watched. I don't think i've watched the USWNT since the last WC either so I have no idea on the comparisons.

To my untrained eye, the USWNT didn't look that impressive during CONCACAF W. Lavelle and Morgan were the only standout creators in the games I watched. The defense was shaky. This team is younger, but a step down from the last two generations so far.

Yes.

I wasn't really impressed by either of them, though that was the first match of the tournament I have watched. I don't think i've watched the USWNT since the last WC either so I have no idea on the comparisons.

Both England and Germany looked good throughout the Euros. As did France. Spain is pretty good. Sweden has gone downhill. We looked weak in the middle of the D and at the 6 throughout CONCACAF, and England, France and Germany can exploit that if we don't have a change in personnel. As for Morgan, she had 2 nice goals against Haiti but missed a bunch of opportunities in the other games. That's why I'd like to see Rodman start and Morgan subbing in.

Aaronson is looking like a major player. Had 3 assists for Leeds and constantly created in game earlier this week and then appeared to score the winner vs Wolves today in his first EPL game. It ended up being ruled an own goal as Aaronson had perfect position for the easy goal but the dedfender out of desperation tried to poke the ball away but went in goal. If he doesn’t touch it Aaronson is easily cleaning it up as right in front of goal. In real time it actually looks like an Aaronson goal and announcers said as much until I guess they checked the video.

Both England and Germany looked good throughout the Euros. As did France. Spain is pretty good. Sweden has gone downhill. We looked weak in the middle of the D and at the 6 throughout CONCACAF, and England, France and Germany can exploit that if we don't have a change in personnel. As for Morgan, she had 2 nice goals against Haiti but missed a bunch of opportunities in the other games. That's why I'd like to see Rodman start and Morgan subbing in.

After watching the Women's Euro semis and final I'm actually not as concerned about our overall ability to match up against the best Euro women's sides. Frankly, my biggest concern is with France. They've upgraded their goalkeeper dramatically and they still have a serious speed advantage over most team including us. England and Germany both looked beatable to me which I was not expecting. Our back line is definitely a problem for the WC depending on who comes back from injuries and motherhood. But if Sam Mewis comes back and Horan improves from injury, our attacking capabilities are still better than everyone but France. I also think Spain, if they get back their two big stars will be a problem. England and Germany are good, but primarily through physical play, not star quality.

Back