• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official post-2020 Democrats Thread - Dems in Disarray! Hot takes welcome here!

PhDeac

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
Reaction score
Democrats need to duplicate the effort in GA. Abrams and her crew kept working on GA year round. They didn’t just show up for the election.

Democrats have to realize that Republicans are running a 24/7 campaign through Fox News, national conservative radio shows, local radio, churches, social media, and even clothing with the MAGA hats.

Democrats don’t counter any of that. They expect news, NPR, education, and policy discourse to accomplish the same goal for Democrats and it just doesn’t work.

I'm really glad Trump is gone. But I'm also really tired of being a slightly less smelly pile of shit. Is that a position?

A part of me wants to run for the House just so I can threaten to give Cruz and Rubio noogies and just mock how fucking lame and feckless the Republicans really are. I mean JFC they think Donald Trump is a tough guy. Do we think that would play well in NC?

Oh and I would go for the populist hanging fruit that is just sitting there but the corporate Dems refuse to take.

Last edited:

Alright Biden gets declared winner. Senate goes 51-49 Republican. What should Biden do in the next 10 weeks and what should he do in his first 2 weeks in office?

Election security commission, including pushing voting rights act reenablement. Don't concede to GOP by making shit appointments. COVID stimulus package needs weekly press conference attention if McConnell will continue to effectively pocket veto.

As somebody else wrote in a different thread, popular single issue bills passed by the House and laid on McConnell's desk with Biden and the leading Dems constantly putting pressure on Mitch.

$15/hr minimum wage
Marijuana legalization (get rid of federal laws)
Immigration reform
Tax raise of people making $400K/year
Voting Rights Act

Election security commission, including pushing voting rights act reenablement. Don't concede to GOP by making shit appointments. COVID stimulus package needs weekly press conference attention if McConnell will continue to effectively pocket veto.

Honestly this is the most important thing. Don't kowtow an appoint some bullshit like John Kasich or whatever to your Cabinet to "appease" the GOP. Name people that deserve to be on that Cabinet and make McConnell say he won't let them get a vote.

Second big thing and this won't have to do with Congress is to undo as much EO damage that Trump did as possible and reinstate as much common-sense regulatory measures in areas that Trump tried to undo them (financial sector, climate, etc.). Basically get us back to where we were at the end of the Obama presidency with some improvements on what originally existed, but at least get as much Trump shit out of there as possible.

It's going to be difficult for both parties. For the Dems, Biden has to placate his coalition of never Trumpers, moderate Dems and the left. At the same time, he likely has to deal with Moscow Mitch as senate majority leader. How difficult will it be to get judges and a cabinet appointed? How much can get passed between a Dem house and a Pub senate? My sense is that he'll get a little build up of good will if he handles the rona well, and we should be ready to start vaccinations around the time he takes office.

But the Pubs also have some existential issues. The party has devolved into personality cult 45, and he ain't going away into the night. DE pols have no control over that base of his. And it's also what happens when Trump TV challenges Fox. How does Fox respond? Then does Trump run again in 2024? If not, is there another demagogue who can repeat the turnout of his base, part of which was irregular voters?

Honestly this is the most important thing. Don't kowtow an appoint some bullshit like John Kasich or whatever to your Cabinet to "appease" the GOP. Name people that deserve to be on that Cabinet and make McConnell say he won't let them get a vote.

Second big thing and this won't have to do with Congress is to undo as much EO damage that Trump did as possible and reinstate as much common-sense regulatory measures in areas that Trump tried to undo them (financial sector, climate, etc.). Basically get us back to where we were at the end of the Obama presidency with some improvements on what originally existed, but at least get as much Trump shit out of there as possible.

While I generally agree, if Warnock wins a seat, and we're at 49, I might be inclined to give Pat Toomey a cabinet position. Then Moscow Mitch becomes a bit less relevant.

A part of me wants to run for the House just so I can threaten to give Cruz and Rubio noogies and just mock how fucking lame and feckless the Republicans really are. I mean JFC they think Donald Trump is a tough guy. Do we think that would play well in NC?

Oh and I would go for the populist hanging fruit that is just sitting there but the corporate Dems refuse to take.

As somebody else wrote in a different thread, popular single issue bills passed by the House and laid on McConnell's desk with Biden and the leading Dems constantly putting pressure on Mitch.

$15/hr minimum wage
Marijuana legalization (get rid of federal laws)
Immigration reform
Tax raise of people making $400K/year
Voting Rights Act

It's going to be difficult for both parties. For the Dems, Biden has to placate his coalition of never Trumpers, moderate Dems and the left. At the same time, he likely has to deal with Moscow Mitch as senate majority leader. How difficult will it be to get judges and a cabinet appointed? How much can get passed between a Dem house and a Pub senate? My sense is that he'll get a little build up of good will if he handles the rona well, and we should be ready to start vaccinations around the time he takes office.

But the Pubs also have some existential issues. The party has devolved into personality cult 45, and he ain't going away into the night. DE pols have no control over that base of his. And it's also what happens when Trump TV challenges Fox. How does Fox respond? Then does Trump run again in 2024? If not, is there another demagogue who can repeat the turnout of his base, part of which was irregular voters?

He doesn't have to appease "never Trumpers." Their problem was Trump. They're going back to the GOP as long as Trump isn't a factor unless Democrats can convince them to ditch Reagan conservatism and get on board with a populist message. So getting never Trumpers into the Dem coalition requires having a strong left leaning message and getting things done.

I would also say that short of a big Covid relief bill that makes it through Congress, Biden can unilaterally extend the nationwide moratorium on evictions. With all apologies to the landlords here.

I doubt biden will have any difficulty getting his cabinet choices approved. Trump began using acting one because even the gop began to balk at his extremely unqualified and unfit choices. That won't be an issue and mcconell will even spin it as "see i can work with the dems. Why won't they meet me halfway?" Which will be bs.

I'd be shocked if more than a handful of judges begin getting through. Pub judge retires? Hold the seat. Dem judge retires... hmmm let me think about it... 25% ain't bad after the last 10 years.

I doubt biden will have any difficulty getting his cabinet choices approved. Trump began using acting one because even the gop began to balk at his extremely unqualified and unfit choices. That won't be an issue and mcconell will even spin it as "see i can work with the dems. Why won't they meet me halfway?" Which will be bs.

I'd be shocked if more than a handful of judges begin getting through. Pub judge retires? Hold the seat. Dem judge retires... hmmm let me think about it... 25% ain't bad after the last 10 years.

I don’t trust McConnell to spin approving cabinet nominees that way. Why would he need to? He doesn’t hide his obstruction. He brags about it, and it totally works for him.

I don’t trust McConnell to spin approving cabinet nominees that way. Why would he need to? He doesn’t hide his obstruction. He brags about it, and it totally works for him.

Yep. This is the new normal. The only other thing I could see is if Biden cuts a side deal with Romney, Collins, and/or Murkowski to get judges and cabinet appointees through. That could mean doing something for their states or a Pub cabinet member or moderate judges. Don’t know.

Yep. This is the new normal. The only other thing I could see is if Biden cuts a side deal with Romney, Collins, and/or Murkowski to get judges and cabinet appointees through. That could mean doing something for their states or a Pub cabinet member or moderate judges. Don’t know.

Is there a rule that requires McConnell to bring them to the floor? What power would they have?

This is post-Trump there are no rules do whatever the fuck you want. I know Biden won't do that.

He doesn't need to but he may decide they need to play nice in some ways and, what the heck does his cabinet matter??, this one is pretty simple. Like i said, judges few if any, and no progressive legislation because he's saving America, i don't think cabinet matters to him.

He doesn't need to but he may decide they need to play nice in some ways and, what the heck does his cabinet matter??, this one is pretty simple. Like i said, judges few if any, and no progressive legislation because he's saving America, i don't think cabinet matters to him.

Oh so we’re back to relying on the norms and decorum of the statesman from Kentucky. What could go wrong ?!?

Nope.

I just don't think sleepy Joe's cabinet matters to him. Might be wrong but #HotTake 's are welcome here.

Back