• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official post-2020 Democrats Thread - Dems in Disarray! Hot takes welcome here!

Does Abrams not want it? She appears to be the obvious choice, but I've heard she wants to run for GA governor in 2022.

Sounds right-hopefully, she'll have his ear. I put much of the disappointment this cycle on Schumer, and unfortunately he's staying. Forgot about what an utter shitshow Perez helped make the IA Caucuses-seems like forever ago, but it was only 10 months.

Does Abrams not want it? She appears to be the obvious choice, but I've heard she wants to run for GA governor in 2022.

Abrams is doing good work with Fair Fight. She was leading the effort to make GA a swing state before any of us ever heard of her. She helped deliver for Biden. She's working on the Senate elections. She paved the way for a GA gov rematch.

I think it's more likely the DNC would drag her down that she would bring it up. She's already a success. She should keep doing what she's doing.

126515579_2998728760347318_8539699758794713274_o.jpg

The New Yorker is out with an article that states what many people here have been saying for awhile - Congressional Democrats are a gerontocracy. It discusses in detail the "cognitive decline" of Dianne Feinstein over the past couple of years -

"...many others familiar with Feinstein’s situation describe her as seriously struggling, and say it has been evident for several years. Speaking on background, and with respect for her accomplished career, they say her short-term memory has grown so poor that she often forgets she has been briefed on a topic, accusing her staff of failing to do so just after they have. They describe Feinstein as forgetting what she has said and getting upset when she can’t keep up. One aide to another senator described what he called a “Kabuki” meeting in which Feinstein’s staff tried to steer her through a proposed piece of legislation that she protested was “just words” which “make no sense.” Feinstein’s staff has said that sometimes she seems herself, and other times unreachable...But with her diminishing capacity, this has become increasingly difficult. The former Senate staffer who still works with Congress declared, “It’s been a disaster.” As the ranking Democrat, Feinstein ordinarily would be expected to run the Party’s strategy on issues of major national importance, including judicial nominations. Instead, the committee has been hamstrung and disorganized. “Other members were constantly trying to go around her because, as chair, she didn’t want to do anything, and she also didn’t want them doing anything.”

The article summarizes the situation in Congress: "Meanwhile, the Feinstein situation has triggered the latest round in a larger generational fight in the Democratic Senate caucus. Unlike the Republican leadership in the Senate, which rotates committee chairmanships, the Democrats have stuck with the seniority system. Some frustrated younger members argue that this has undermined the Democrats’ effectiveness by giving too much power to elderly and sometimes out-of-touch chairs, resulting in uncoördinated strategy and too little opportunity for members in their prime."

I didn't know that the Democrats have stuck with the seniority system while the Republicans have gone to rotating committee chairs, which makes more sense. What a mess.

Link to article: https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/dianne-feinsteins-missteps-raise-a-painful-age-question-among-senate-democrats?utm_social-type=owned&mbid=social_twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_brand=tny&utm_medium=social

For all the knocks on Biden's age, there are several Dems in Congress who could call him a kid.

Whoa whoa whoa. Not cool to make dems look bad. Let's talk about turtle mitch or individual #1 instead!

Gov technically hasn't made the appointment just yet. Harris hasn't resigned her seat yet. I don't think she will until after Congress certifies the election. Make anybody who challenges the Electoral College result do it directly to her face.

Legally she doesn't have to resign until the morning of Jan 20.

That’s another rube conspiracy theory: see even she hasn’t resigned yet, clearly she knows she won’t be VP.

So what’s stopping the DNC from duplicating what Stacey Abrams did in Georgia with the rest of the South or even the nation? I’m sure it would need to be tweaked to meet the needs of each individual state but it’s hard to argue against success.

Nothing. They need to get the geriatric leadership out of the way for the new guard. Follow their lead. Support them. Or... keep the corporate status quo.

They don't have Stacey Abrams? They aren't GA? I'm not buying into the one great person theory, but it does take a certain set of circumstances to make something like this happen in the right demographic and geographic context. She capitalized off her 2018 run in an amazing way that is difficult to duplicate in a state that isn't changing like GA. What's happening in GA is pretty similar to what happened in VA over the last decade.

I could see Jaime Harrison doing something like that in SC but he lost by a lot more than Abrams and SC is a much heavier lift. I hoped Andrew Gillum could do it in FL, but that's not happening and I don't see a huge demographic shift here either.

North Carolina doesn’t seem like that heavy a lift. Seems like the next logical target in the South much more so than South Carolina.

North Carolina doesn’t seem like that heavy a lift. Seems like the next logical target in the South much more so than South Carolina.

Agreed, but that would involve the NC Democratic Party getting its head out of its ass and getting organized at the precinct level and building a strong grassroots organization. Some younger NC pols like Jeff Jackson are in favor of doing that, but whether the disorganized state party apparatus and current leaders like Roy Cooper will go along is anybody's guess. Compared to the NC GOP, the NC Democratic Party has been a dumpster fire for awhile. They could really use a Stacey Adams type to take charge and start rebuilding the party from the ground up.

So can we officially put to rest the nonsense that we need to nominate centrist candidates to win swing states and districts? Neither of them ran to be a 50th vote.

Ossoff up by 3,560. Warnock up by 1%. Go ahead and call it.

Last edited:
The NC Democratic Party's power base and problems all lie in Raleigh and parts east.

Nothing. They need to get the geriatric leadership out of the way for the new guard. Follow their lead. Support them. Or... keep the corporate status quo.

I'd like to see Duckworth, Brown or Merkley take over for Schumer.

Back