Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Biden actual cabinet and political appointee thread

Merrick Garland as AG. Had been reading speculation that the GA results were putting into motion Yates for this post.

Banhammer'd
    Either would be a big fuck you to Republicans.

Garland accepting would be a huge surprise to me. USCoA judges have the sweetest job ever. When they retire from their lifetime appointment they can take Senior Status, maintain full salary, and take a (very) reduced case load.

Quote Originally Posted by wakephan09 View Post
    Garland accepting would be a huge surprise to me. USCoA judges have the sweetest job ever. When they retire from their lifetime appointment they can take Senior Status, maintain full salary, and take a (very) reduced case load.
    You don't think Biden, like, called him on the phone and asked him if he was interested first ?

Mitch McConnell gonna have to vote on Merrick Garland after all.

Quote Originally Posted by BiffTannen View Post
    You don't think Biden, like, called him on the phone and asked him if he was interested first ?
    When I said "it would surprise me" I meant "it would surprise me". I was not making a prediction

Never Murdered My FIL
    Quote Originally Posted by SC DEAC View Post
    Mitch McConnell gonna have to vote on Merrick Garland after all.
    Heíll happily do that. He got what he wanted.

Sense of duty to meet a greater need of the moment...?
    I love mankind...itís people I canít stand!!

He could also go from AG to SCOTUS if a seat opens up which allows Biden to appoint another judge to the DC Circuit.

Breyer is 82 years old and I imagine some lessons were learned from RBG.
    Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by DeaconCav06 View Post
    He could also go from AG to SCOTUS if a seat opens up which allows Biden to appoint another judge to the DC Circuit.

Breyer is 82 years old and I imagine some lessons were learned from RBG.
    No, Garland is too old to put on SCOTUS. I think he's like 67 now. You want someone in their 50s who will last forever. That was 1 of the selling points for Garland when Obama appointed him - he was an older centrist. But Mitch still wouldn't give him a vote, in stark contrast to what the senate did in 1976 when Ford nominated a centrist in Stevens a little less than a year before the election.

Banhammer'd
    50s? Breyer should be replaced by someone in his/her 30s.

Garland is 68. He's not getting nominated now. Aware that the Republican controlled senate could block the appointment, Obama nominated Garland because he credentials were impeccable he was relatively moderate, and he was older, with the hope that it would make tougher for McConnell to take an extreme position. Didn't work out.

Sounds like a given that Biden's first SCOTUS nominee will be an African-American woman (a first for the Court), leading the speculation is Ketanji Brown Jackson (US District Court in DC); she is 50 or Leondra Kruger (California Supreme Court), she is 44.
    Last edited by Pilchard; 01-07-2021 at 02:13 PM.

Never Murdered My FIL
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilchard View Post
    Garland is 68. He's not getting nominated now. Aware that the Republican controlled senate could block the appointment, Obama nominated Garland because he credentials were impeccable he was relatively moderate, and he was older, with the hope that it would make tougher for McConnell to take an extreme position. Didn't work out.

Sounds like a given that Biden's first SCOTUS nominee will be an African-American woman (a first for the Court).
    The refusal to give Garland a hearing only continues to look worse. If Biden gets to nominate someone he can and should nominate a progressive this time.

Mahty goes to Washington...

Biden may not have ANY confirmed cabinet secretaries on Jan 20. That would be a new low. Usually at least most of the national security positions are confirmed early and take office on Jan 20. Senate has been slow playing the "advice and consent" process. Not holding committee hearings and meeting with the Biden choices.

ETA:

Democratic Senate should have a busy afternoon and evening Jan 20. Organize the Senate and confirm a bunch of Biden Cabinet choices.
    Last edited by Deaconblue; 01-07-2021 at 11:58 PM.

Banhammer'd
    I hope Garland takes Trump to the SC if he tries to pardon himself.

The big loser of the Georgia senate results (other than Perdue and Loeffler) is Stephen Breyer. Will be enormous pressure on him to retire and retire soon.

Itís a win for him...he can retire with some reasonable belief that heíll be replaced by a decent colleague.

Quote Originally Posted by RJKarl View Post
    I hope Garland takes Trump to the SC if he tries to pardon himself.

And the sc would....?