• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biden actual cabinet and political appointee thread

Biden has said he wants this to be the most diverse cabinet in American history (which is actually a low bar, but still nice). The issue will be Senate Confirmation, someone like Schiff or Rice may get shotdown in a Mitch McConnell Senate. Gonna be interesting especially if the Dems cant get 50 Senators.

Yates, Jones or Schiff for AG are all good choices.
Rice for Secretary of State seems like the top choice, but can she get confirmed? Chris Coons also wants Sect of State.
Buttigieg apparently wants Ambassador to UN, but Biden seems to be pushing Secretary of VA. Press Secretary and CoS don't get Mayor Pete to the next level. Todd Young is up for re-election in 2022 and Mayor Pete may run for that office in either case.
Garcetti seems to be the only name for infrastructure, who is a highway guy, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is instead someone with a rail background, given Biden's connections to Amtrak.
Michele Flournoy seems to be a lock for Defense
I can't see Warren getting the votes for Treasury, look for Lael Brainard instead
It would be interesting to see if Moniz wants the Energy job again. My old roommate in DC worked under him, and spoke very highly.
HUD might be where Keisha Lance-Bottoms comes in. But if Karen Bass is passed over for the Senate seat, I could see her here as well.
McCabe seems to be out of the running for FBI
Haspel is probably gone as well, I would look for someone from DIA or promotion from within.

"Other," good luck at that one. Widespread attack is necessary and 525 doesn't do it.

I guarantee you believed Bush should have been held liable for similar crimes. but not Obama.

Don't go away mad, just go away.

It was almost 6,000 children. 545 is the number that they couldn't reunite. Just because they can't "fix" 10% of the problem doesn't mean crimes weren't committed against the other 90%. Then there's the forced sterilizations.

The Bush administration committed war crimes. So did the Obama administration. The Obama administration's use of drones, failure to shut down Gitmo, and immigration policies all set the stage for Trump. Nobody's hands are clean here.

It may be a thankless job, but the Democrats desperately need to put someone who is capable and innovative and talented in that position to rebuild the party at the grassroots and to shore up state Democratic parties across the country. If they don't they could easily lose the House in 2022 and not pick up the Senate seats they need, even with a favorable map. Perez is a joke, imo. The RNC is a vastly better-run organization than the DNC, and has been for years. Somebody needs to step up who can do the job, not merely another mediocre (or worse) party functionary who will keep the status quo for another two or four years.

I don't disagree. Really, the person who should get DNC chair is Stacy Abrams based upon what she's done in GA. But the word is she's going for GA governor in 2022.

Like I said, I'm not concerned about making sure Pete has a stepping stone. I'm more concerned about using his talent effectively in the administration.

He could just be a high profile special assistant to the president. We could call the position the Jared or Mini Me.

He could just be a high profile special assistant to the president. We could call the position the Jared or Mini Me.

I was thinking about this last night...Pete could just be a "senior advisor to the President" and be very visible for the next two years.

This is probably the best spot for Pete. They can give him some high profile projects to lead and it could set him up better to make a run for something in Indiana or, if Harris ends up as the 2024 nom, to be tapped for VP. It will be tough sledding for any Dem in Indiana, so maybe this is the best setup to position him for VP.

This is probably the best spot for Pete. They can give him some high profile projects to lead and it could set him up better to make a run for something in Indiana or, if Harris ends up as the 2024 nom, to be tapped for VP. It will be tough sledding for any Dem in Indiana, so maybe this is the best setup to position him for VP.

yeah stuff like solve Middle East peace, opioids, the pandemic and healthcare.

Makes sense. For most Biden's first term as VP, Klain was Biden's Chief of Staff. He was also in charge of the Obama administration's response to the Ebola virus.

He's played by Kevin Spacey in the HBO movie Recount about the 2000 election

FOX News headline: Biden Hires Pedophile as Chief of Staff

My wife's college roommate/best friend is on the transition team which is pretty awesome for a 33 year old. Super pumped for her.

My wife's college roommate/best friend is on the transition team which is pretty awesome for a 33 year old. Super pumped for her.

Has she not heard that Trump actually won? I’d be bummed for her to waste her time.

Klain seems like an excellent pick for COS. Great first round draft choice for Biden.

Klain seems like an excellent pick for COS. Great first round draft choice for Biden.

It will be nice to have an administration consisting of people who are actually competent at the job they were hired to do, or don't hate the agency they supposedly lead, and whose main motivation isn't to dismantle said agency while grifting from their government job on the side. No doubt at least a few of Biden's appointees will probably get caught doing something wrong, as it goes with human nature, but I seriously doubt that his administration will have even a fraction of the incompetence and corruption of Trump's administration. There is something to be said for experience and professionalism and expertise, despite what Trump populists might tell you.

Back