• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biden actual cabinet and political appointee thread

Merrick Garland as AG. Had been reading speculation that the GA results were putting into motion Yates for this post.

Garland accepting would be a huge surprise to me. USCoA judges have the sweetest job ever. When they retire from their lifetime appointment they can take Senior Status, maintain full salary, and take a (very) reduced case load.

Garland accepting would be a huge surprise to me. USCoA judges have the sweetest job ever. When they retire from their lifetime appointment they can take Senior Status, maintain full salary, and take a (very) reduced case load.

You don't think Biden, like, called him on the phone and asked him if he was interested first ?

Mitch McConnell gonna have to vote on Merrick Garland after all.

You don't think Biden, like, called him on the phone and asked him if he was interested first ?
When I said "it would surprise me" I meant "it would surprise me". I was not making a prediction

Sense of duty to meet a greater need of the moment...?

He could also go from AG to SCOTUS if a seat opens up which allows Biden to appoint another judge to the DC Circuit.

Breyer is 82 years old and I imagine some lessons were learned from RBG.

He could also go from AG to SCOTUS if a seat opens up which allows Biden to appoint another judge to the DC Circuit.

Breyer is 82 years old and I imagine some lessons were learned from RBG.

No, Garland is too old to put on SCOTUS. I think he's like 67 now. You want someone in their 50s who will last forever. That was 1 of the selling points for Garland when Obama appointed him - he was an older centrist. But Mitch still wouldn't give him a vote, in stark contrast to what the senate did in 1976 when Ford nominated a centrist in Stevens a little less than a year before the election.

50s? Breyer should be replaced by someone in his/her 30s.

Garland is 68. He's not getting nominated now. Aware that the Republican controlled senate could block the appointment, Obama nominated Garland because he credentials were impeccable he was relatively moderate, and he was older, with the hope that it would make tougher for McConnell to take an extreme position. Didn't work out.

Sounds like a given that Biden's first SCOTUS nominee will be an African-American woman (a first for the Court), leading the speculation is Ketanji Brown Jackson (US District Court in DC); she is 50 or Leondra Kruger (California Supreme Court), she is 44.

Last edited:
Garland is 68. He's not getting nominated now. Aware that the Republican controlled senate could block the appointment, Obama nominated Garland because he credentials were impeccable he was relatively moderate, and he was older, with the hope that it would make tougher for McConnell to take an extreme position. Didn't work out.

Sounds like a given that Biden's first SCOTUS nominee will be an African-American woman (a first for the Court).

The refusal to give Garland a hearing only continues to look worse. If Biden gets to nominate someone he can and should nominate a progressive this time.

Mahty goes to Washington...

Biden may not have ANY confirmed cabinet secretaries on Jan 20. That would be a new low. Usually at least most of the national security positions are confirmed early and take office on Jan 20. Senate has been slow playing the "advice and consent" process. Not holding committee hearings and meeting with the Biden choices.

ETA:

Democratic Senate should have a busy afternoon and evening Jan 20. Organize the Senate and confirm a bunch of Biden Cabinet choices.

Last edited:
I hope Garland takes Trump to the SC if he tries to pardon himself.

The big loser of the Georgia senate results (other than Perdue and Loeffler) is Stephen Breyer. Will be enormous pressure on him to retire and retire soon.

It’s a win for him...he can retire with some reasonable belief that he’ll be replaced by a decent colleague.

Back