• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biden actual cabinet and political appointee thread

Biden cabinet speculation thread

Transit authorities (public transportation) only part of transportation. Much of it is the streets, parking, working with states, city level work. Different cities work differently but Pete did some of that stuff in South Bend.

You asked if South Bend had a bus system and they do. You can take that commuter rail over to South Bend and enjoy a night out. Maybe you can even dunk on Pete in person like you’re trying to dunk on him here.

Jennifer Granholm for Energy Secretary

Last edited:
you think the federal Department of Transportation is doing like streets and sans operations?

I'm just glad they didn't pick Rahm

The federal Department of Transportation does what the federal Department of Transportation does. It's obviously different than the role of a mayor, but Obama's last transportation secretary was a former mayor as well. I don't see why this is so controversial.

Actually going back several years, three of the last four Democrats to serve as transportation secretary were former mayors. Federico Peña (Clinton) was the mayor of Denver. Norman Mineta (Bush) was the former mayor of San Jose. And then Anthony Foxx from Charlotte under Obama.

Make it four of the last five Democrats. Carter's last transportation secretary was the former mayor of Portland.

Last edited:
it's true

I just don't like Pete's politics -- hope we finally get some good infrastructure investment and I'm forced to eat crow

Biden is going to create the Office of Domestic Climate Policy to be led by former EPA chief Gina McCarthy.

Likely candidates for Education:

The first is Leslie T. Fenwick, dean emeritus of the Howard University School of Education and a professor of educational policy and leadership. The second is Miguel Cardona, who last year was named the top education official in Connecticut.

Fenwick has criticized education programs such as Teach For America — a nonprofit that for years recruited only new college graduates, gave them five weeks of summer training and placed them in high-need schools — and the move to inject competition and corporate-inspired management techniques into schools. She’s also spoken against for-profit charter schools and taxpayer-funded private school vouchers.

She does not just argue that these ideas are misguided but calls them “schemes” that drain money from public schools, driven by people looking to profit from public education. She also says advocacy for these policies is a form of resistance to the Brown v. Board of Education Supreme Court decision.

“These schemes are often viewed as new and innovative, but when you look at the history of these schemes — and I use the word ‘schemes’ purposefully — you find that they are rooted in resistance to the Brown legal decision,” Fenwick said in a video published in September.

Instead, Fenwick advocates for more equitable school funding formulas and better access to credentialed and committed teachers.

Early in her career, Fenwick was a middle school science teacher and a rookie teacher of the year in Toledo, her hometown. She was dean of the Howard University School of Education for nearly 10 years and remains on the faculty.

I'm all in for Fenwick. Completely on board with this.

Biden cabinet speculation thread

Four posts in a row. I guess you all don't care about Biden's cabinet anymore. Biden picks Michael S. Regan, head of the NC Department of Environmental Quality, to run the EPA.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2020/12/17/biden-epa-regan/

Regan has served as North Carolina’s top environmental official since early 2017, when Gov. Roy Cooper (D) named him to his role. During that time, he forged a tough multibillion-dollar settlement over a coal ash cleanup with Duke Energy, established an environmental justice advisory board, and reached across the political divide to work with the state’s Republican legislature.

“Right away he prioritized climate change, environmental justice and coal ash cleanup,” said Cassie Gavin, the Sierra Club’s director of government affairs for North Carolina.

That deal — along with his work with disadvantaged communities — helped win him the post, according to an individual familiar with the transition team’s thinking who spoke on the condition of anonymity to speak frankly.

“Regan realizes that America’s environmental laws and policies must, first and foremost, protect the most vulnerable,” the individual said. “Growing up with asthma in eastern North Carolina, Regan saw toxic pollution, agricultural waste and environmental destruction being concentrated near communities of color and low-income communities.”
Gavin credits Regan with getting the state and Duke Energy to settle their long-running dispute over cleaning up coal ash ponds, a source of toxic water and air contamination. The state won an agreement to move some of the ash stored in ponds near aging coal-fired power plants to off-site landfills, while some will be put in lined landfills on site, a Duke preference. Estimated at $4 billion to $8 billion, it is the most costly coal ash cleanup plan in the nation.
“He was very tough on Duke,” said a former utility executive, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to protect his business relationships.

A native of Goldsboro, N.C., Regan studied earth and environmental science at N.C. Agricultural and Technical State University and later earned a master’s degree in public administration from George Washington University.

In a message published online in April to mark the 50th anniversary of Earth Day, Regan recalled a childhood in eastern North Carolina spent fishing and hunting with his father and grandfather.

“I can vividly remember sitting near the edge of the river waiting to catch the first fish of the day or watching our beagles chase rabbits,” he wrote. “My love for the environment was instilled in me as a kid, and it has never left me. It is the reason I chose to make environmental protection my life’s work.”

Man. As a 44 year old Black man from Eastern NC, this is amazing.

Really glad Haaland got the nomination.
I wonder how many of these picks are going to get through

Really glad Haaland got the nomination.
I wonder how many of these picks are going to get through

I think they all get through eventually. I don't think McConnell puts a lot of effort into stopping them. Slow rolling them? Sure. We'll probably see some of that.

However, it is my opinion that enough republicans will vote to give Biden the cabinet he wants.

Omg, some qualified cabinet members is going to be a big change. Thanks Dems!

little red lubette is the obvious choice to lead the Department of Lubish Stooges.

tenor.gif

Back