• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biden actual cabinet and political appointee thread

i'm not going to be stoked if Joe brings out a lot of dead wood or Barry-era technocrats.

i'm not going to be stoked if Joe brings out a lot of dead wood or Barry-era technocrats.

I'd expect a lot of Barry era cabinet members. Also remember that the composition of the senate is going to make a big difference as to who he can get through. If it's 50, he can get anyone through. If it's 48 or 49, he'll need a Pub vote or 2. I wouldn't be surprised if some of his nominations don't get through because Moscow Mitch is playing hardball. And the problem is Joe won't know what that number is going to be when he puts out some of his nominations in December because the GA runoff is 1/5/21.

I'd expect a lot of Barry era cabinet members. Also remember that the composition of the senate is going to make a big difference as to who he can get through. If it's 50, he can get anyone through. If it's 48 or 49, he'll need a Pub vote or 2. I wouldn't be surprised if some of his nominations don't get through because Moscow Mitch is playing hardball. And the problem is Joe won't know what that number is going to be when he puts out some of his nominations in December because the GA runoff is 1/5/21.

This is not a problem, or shouldn't be. If Moscow Mitch wants to play hardball on a nominee, Biden should make them an "acting" secretary and dare Mitch to bitch, and flog Mitch publicly for being obstructionist. Mitch hasn't a leg to stand on since he's let Trump get away with that dodge for 4 years. If Biden allows his agencies to be crippled by Senate obstructionism, he has no one to blame but himself.

LOL. Mitch will claim a president relying on "acting" secretaries is unprecedented and a threat to our democracy.

LOL. Mitch will claim a president relying on "acting" secretaries is unprecedented and a threat to our democracy.

they're already claiming the very concept of the president-elect is unprecedented.

And it’ll work for him. It’s amazing to me that people still think McConnell is going to behave in a way that’s remotely dependent on public pressure from the middle or left, norms, statesmanship, or just being a decent human being. He doesn’t work that way, and he’s never had a consequence to dissuade him otherwise.

And there's no counter narrative from Democrats to pressure him otherwise.

This is not a problem, or shouldn't be. If Moscow Mitch wants to play hardball on a nominee, Biden should make them an "acting" secretary and dare Mitch to bitch, and flog Mitch publicly for being obstructionist. Mitch hasn't a leg to stand on since he's let Trump get away with that dodge for 4 years. If Biden allows his agencies to be crippled by Senate obstructionism, he has no one to blame but himself.

Acting secretaries, by law, currently have to be in a senate-confirmed position, which limits Biden’s options considerably.

Acting secretaries, by law, currently have to be in a senate-confirmed position, which limits Biden’s options considerably.

Meaning, a deputy secretary that was previously confirmed by the senate can step in and serve as an acting secretary. Or a secretary in another department that was already confirmed can come over to act.

There are recess appointments whereby Biden would get to appoint some one when Congress is on recess for up to a two year term. But McConnell prevented Obama from ever doing that by not adjourning the senate to a recess for years.

Meaning, a deputy secretary that was previously confirmed by the senate can step in and serve as an acting secretary. Or a secretary in another department that was already confirmed can come over to act.

Sure, but how many of the current senate-confirmed people would Biden even want in his administration, let alone as a acting cabinet secretary.

Sure, but how many of the current senate-confirmed people would Biden even want in his administration, let alone as a acting cabinet secretary.

I was just birdmansplaining because I thought your post needed more details.

Usually departments have some 3rd and 4th echelon ("deputy assistant undersecretary") Senate confirmed people who are not terribly politically loyal. They may be career feds who were elevated. Trump is firing these people from critical departments - Defense and Homeland Security, so far. By doing this, Trump will leave only the mist loyal Trumpists as caretakers until Biden appointees are confirmed.

The Senate, if the Republicans retain their majority, could make a lot of mischief for Biden by slow rolling confirmations. The fast track that got Barrett on the Supreme Court won't be in operation.

Susan Rice will Be Sec. of State.

Uhm.gif

Why is Mayor Pete qualified to be UN Ambassador ? Have we vetted the mayors of places like Toledo and Grand Junction ?

I'd be good with Susan Rice or Sam Power as SoS.

Why is Mayor Pete qualified to be UN Ambassador ? Have we vetted the mayors of places like Toledo and Grand Junction ?

I'd be good with Susan Rice or Sam Power as SoS.

I saw a different speculation that had Hillary as UN Ambassador.

I saw a different speculation that had Hillary as UN Ambassador.

This would be terrible. Its annoying enough the gop still runs against her. I can't take another 4 years + campaign of that shit.

Speculation about pete being UN ambassador is not really about his qualifications but about how the democratic party can help a likeable guy get more experience for future elected office.

It’s also about how to utilize talent from a deep red state. There aren’t many options and it’s something Democrats have to figure out. I’d like to see him commit to turning Indiana purple and preparing a template for swaying working class white voters.

Pete is really no less qualified for UN Ambassador than Nicki Haley was. Neither really has a ton of national security experience, though Pete was an intelligence officer in the military. The biggest part of the job is communicating the President's message on the world stage among other diplomats and country officials. Pete is great at communication, he speaks multiple languages, he is very intelligent, so I feel like he would be perfectly qualified for that job. It isn't like he is being put up for Sec. State or Sec. Defense.

Back