• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clemson Steals Signals

This actually argues for an RPO type offense where the call is made on the field by players with multiple options right after the snap.

But even that narrows things down to an RPO.

Cheating has always been rampant in sports, and the collective public has always accepted and admired people who were/are good at it. While we give a lot of lip service to character building and fair play, we are a nation who celebrates the bad guy. In sports, in politics, in society. This is hardly surprising. Just look at the non-existent repercussions from Wakeygate. West Point seemingly exempted their guys from the honor code. Dabo has not fooled me. I am sure he sends thoughts and prayers for our program as he deposits his check.

Cheating has always been rampant in sports, and the collective public has always accepted and admired people who were/are good at it. While we give a lot of lip service to character building and fair play, we are a nation who celebrates the bad guy. In sports, in politics, in society. This is hardly surprising. Just look at the non-existent repercussions from Wakeygate. West Point seemingly exempted their guys from the honor code. Dabo has not fooled me. I am sure he sends thoughts and prayers for our program as he deposits his check.

Curious here: What rules does Clemson violate by picking your signs? NCAA allows for as many "analysts" on your staff as you can pay. Clemson pays a squadron of them and grad assistants. As long as they're not taping and reviewing film -- which is the crux of what Doeren accused them of a few years ago -- it's the same as a baseball team trying to pick up a base coach's signals.

Yeah. It seems the perspective of the article (I didn’t read the entire piece) is that this is part of the game. Maybe not the purist part of competition, but still an accepted part of it.

Agree with you Conor that Clemson is violating no rule. I do think that the NCAA should limit analytic hires, grad ass'ts, and sideline passes. Teams are effectively buying playoff berths. Same schools nearly every year. Let's level the playing field wherever possible.

I remember when Clemson's "IPTAY Club" meant I pay $20 per year. Now, it's probably I pay ten thousand dollars per year.

To counteract, teams can use "messenger guards" like Paul Brown did hears ago, wait until the last minute to call plays, or allow qbs to call their own plays (novel idea). Whatever, Notre Dame seemed to have little trouble dissecting the Tigers' defense last night. BTW, that Book was pretty damn good as was the Clemson frosh.

Back