• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dr. Larry Hopkins 1970s Star RB passes

So very sad. What an inspiration, and what an accomplished life. Prayers for your family.

The death of Dr. Hopkins is the loss of a man who contributed a great deal to the Wake Forest Community and the world.

Condolences to Beth and all his family and friends as we mourn his death.

One note in his bio that deserves a comment is that he was a transfer to Wake after getting his associates degree at Lees-McCrae. Because of Wake's admissions and credit counting policies, future Dr.Larry Hopkins are not attending Wake after finishing junior college.

I did not know Larry because he enrolled the fall after I was graduated. I wish I had. Clearly, he was a great man and an excellent football player. We lost him way too soon.

I recall being amazed that he could accomplish so much academically as a JUCO transfer. And he certainly put his medical degree to great use in serving both the Winston-Salem and Wake Forest community. Perhaps we should treat JUCOs like walk-on athletes during the admission process. Young people deserve a chance wherever possible, particularly if the person truly desires to attend Wake Forest. The admissions dep't can ferret out the pretenders form those applicants who really want Wake Forest and can succeed.

Wow, that is very sad. Wasn't he on the 1970 ACC championship team? I was a freshman in the fall of '71, and he was great in Coach Stoll's "veer". Trust me, this getting old thing can really suck. Condolences to his lovely wife and family.

Wow, that is very sad. Wasn't he on the 1970 ACC championship team? I was a freshman in the fall of '71, and he was great in Coach Stoll's "veer". Trust me, this getting old thing can really suck. Condolences to his lovely wife and family.

Yes, in fact, his long run with about three minutes left in the UNC game put us in the position to win the game and ultimately the championship. A UNC linebacker probably wandered around after the play and game in search of his jockstrap - might have been John Bunting.

The death of Dr. Hopkins is the loss of a man who contributed a great deal to the Wake Forest Community and the world.

Condolences to Beth and all his family and friends as we mourn his death.

One note in his bio that deserves a comment is that he was a transfer to Wake after getting his associates degree at Lees-McCrae. Because of Wake's admissions and credit counting policies, future Dr.Larry Hopkins are not attending Wake after finishing junior college.

Never would have had Clark Gaines (7 years in NFL as RB, mostly for the Jets) nor Jerry McManus (college coach of almost 40 years).

I had opportunity to speak with Dr. Hopkins on several occasions, though the last time was probably about 10-12 years ago. He was a very kind, generous, and humble man. I am not surprised he continued to practice until he was about 70; he loved his work.
He once told me he knew he did not want to play pro football after a game against Nebraska, saying something to the effect of "it hurt to get tackled by those guys." The NFL's loss was definitely Winston-Salem's gain.

Never would have had Clark Gaines (7 years in NFL as RB, mostly for the Jets) nor Jerry McManus (college coach of almost 40 years).

I think MSD should review all such overly broad exclusionary practices.

However, many of the relevant JUCOs are now full 4 year colleges and even universities. Wingate, Gardner Webb, Lees-McCrae etc.

Back