• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Masters contest

Not a DJ fan, but I have no problem with him winning another major or 2 given what he's been through at the majors. Dude was on complete cruise control hitting something like 17 greens and having tap in pars to go with a handful of birdies. And this when everyone else was getting a few birdies then shooting themselves in the foot. Tomorrow looks like a race for second. BTW, I need to start thinking more about Ancer in these things - he's really had a great last 2 years. And I remember Cam Smith wearing those penguin shirts when he won - think in Houston. I thought whoever made those shirts went bankrupt back in the 90s. Is that an Aussi company or something? Smith is literally the only person I've seen wearing 1 of those in 20+ years.

The No Laying Up guys partnered with Original Penguin for one of their Tourist Sauce stories in the Carolinas. Check it out if you haven't - it's pretty good stuff. Cam Smith seems like a pretty chill dude. Would like to see him in the mix more at PGA events. Tremendous short game.

https://www.originalpenguin.com/pages/no-laying-up

My team did nothing on the weekend. I think I was -31 or so after 2 rounds and that's where I finished.

Y.E. Yang won the 2009 PGA championship after staring down Big Cat.

Why do I always forget YE Yang? Then again, YE probably forgets about YE. He's right up there with Scott Hamilton and Ben Curtis.

DeChambeau
McIlroy
Simpson
Oosthuizen
Poston
Frittelli

Don't know how I missed getting in but they were sent by PM. My picks looked to have finished at -36 for my best 4 players.

Masters ratings at an all time low. Must be those activist, kneeling golfers.

Masters ratings at an all time low. Must be those activist, kneeling golfers.

Totally unsurprising. November Masters, up against College football Saturday and NFL football Sunday, strange broadcast times (especially Sunday) because of the limited daylight. It would've been shocking if the rating were good I think.

Sure. I think Barca was pointing out how that argument has been used against other sports when all sports have had lower ratings due to the weird changes in the schedules.

Sure. I think Barca was pointing out how that argument has been used against other sports when all sports have had lower ratings due to the weird changes in the schedules.

yep. NFL, MLB and NBA all have had lower ratings and BLM was cited by conservatives as the reason why.

yep. NFL, MLB and NBA all have had lower ratings and BLM was cited by conservatives as the reason why.

Sports just are not as interesting when there are no fans, games or events are held at odd times, and teams in some cases aren't even playing in their home arenas. Did the political stuff have some impact, yes, but not the biggest.

Sports just are not as interesting when there are no fans, games or events are held at odd times, and teams in some cases aren't even playing in their home arenas. Did the political stuff have some impact, yes, but not the biggest.

exactly

i think golf is great without hordes of yahoo fans

There's a strong overlap between people who claim they don't watch the NBA because of protests and people who claimed they stopped watching the NBA years ago because they "don't play defense." I don't think politics factored in at all.

I didn't watch much of The Masters at all. What I did watch was very weird without the roar of the crowd. Golf is good for background watching and the crowd is really important for letting viewers know to pay attention.

Last edited:
i think golf is great without hordes of yahoo fans

Yeah, I kinda like not hearing idiots screaming "mashed potatoes" when golfers are driving.

As for the NFL, I believe most of the impact of some right wingers tuning out happened a few years ago when the players started the kneeling. That's when I started noticing a bit of difference in the hue of Ravens fans at home games - fewer white folks and more black folks. Peter King noticed that too and wrote about it a few years ago. I don't think this year has made much of a difference in terms of pro sports. If anything, I've heard some conservatives grumble about the subsequent rioting but acknowledge a problem after the Floyd and Taylor murders.

In regards to golf, it's kind of been neat to see the guys have to play the courses as intended and by that I mean, if they hit a shot that goes screaming across the green it doesn't get stopped by the gallery and instead ends up where the shot is really supposed to end up. Or if a drive is heading OB or further in the trees, it's not stopped by the gallery. How many times have you been watching a tournament they say he got a good break because it hit a spectator and stopped it?

I’ve been just glad to be able to watch golf, and without fans (and stands) you can see a lot more of the course. I’m also pleased to not here ‘in the hole’ every other shot.

Back