• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 races (and 2021 for weird commonwealths like Virginia)

BarcaDeac

Reaction score
Figured we’d go ahead and get this going. Stacey Abrams likely running for governor again.

We (dems) have a lot of work to do with minorities. I'm not sure what to do, but we need to do it, and do it quickly.

The Senate map is very favorable for Democrats in 2022 for a change, but whether they can take advantage of it is an open question. Frankly, I don't have much hope for retaining the House, as the Republicans may have gained as many as 8 to 10 seats this year when all the votes are finally in, and given that the party in power usually loses congressional seats in off-year elections, and the fact that GOP state legislatures will almost certainly gerrymander most House districts again, I think the Democrats will likely lose control of the House. There's a been a lot of discussion on the board recently about the Democratic Party's desperate need to build up its grassroots and local organizations across the country, and that will likely determine how well the party does.

Dems have the Presidency and House, in 2022 they get the senate and lose the house. In 2024 they lose the presidency and the senate. In 2026 they win the house and around and around dysfunctional government we go.

Really hope that Fetterman runs for the open PA senate seat in 2022. I think he has the best chance at taking that seat and would be a great addition to a 2024 ticket as VP after getting a few years of higher level experience under his belt.

Jeff Jackson is probably our best hope for taking Burr's seat.

Really hope that Fetterman runs for the open PA senate seat in 2022. I think he has the best chance at taking that seat and would be a great addition to a 2024 ticket as VP after getting a few years of higher level experience under his belt.

Jeff Jackson is probably our best hope for taking Burr's seat.

Agreed on both counts. If NC Democrats don't run Jackson they're idiots. Of course they found Cunningham and ran him instead, so maybe they are.

Jackson said he didn’t want to fundraise in a basement.

I would have liked to see former Charlotte Mayor Anthony Foxx run for US Senate, but once he finished his stint as Obama's Secretary of Transportation he took a job with Lyft and I guess he's in San Francisco.

Dem potential vulnerables include AZ, likely GA, NV and possibly NH. Pub vulnerables include WI, PA, NC and maybe FL. I don't see OH as vulnerable.

I don't see it as a done deal that Dems win the senate and lose the house. With Trump's name not on the ballot, Pub turnout could be more like 2018 than 2020. But I do agree with Gossett that Pubs should be favored for the presidency in 2024.

The good thing about this COVID is that we may not need a real recession in the next few years if some froth gets weeded out during this COVID downturn. That would benefit Biden.

The biggest problem with 2022 is Republicans held all the major state legislatures again so they get to draw the new district maps again. All the gerrymandering is going to make Democrats need another huge blue wave (~7-8% national advantage) to overtake the structural disadvantage they'll have in the house districts that republicans draw.

2022 will also be very interesting with turnout. Will the new republicans still turn out without Trump and will democrats continue the high turnout they've had the last two cycles without Trump.

Will we be without Trump? He won’t be on the ballot but he will running for President.

I did get a laugh thinking about Trump primarying Rubio.

Will we be without Trump? He won’t be on the ballot but he will running for President.

I did get a laugh thinking about Trump primarying Rubio.

That would be funny to see, and I think Trump would beat him. Having said that, I don't see any way that Trump would run for the Senate. He'd likely see it as a demotion, and he has no interest in doing any of the work that a Senator does. He'd never attend committee hearings, he'd just play golf all day. As President he could get away with that and could dominate everyone around him. He couldn't fire other Senators who annoyed him. Can you imagine Dear Leader taking orders from McConnell? LOL.

Supposedly Lara Trump (Eric’s wife) weighing a NC Senate seat run. Apparently she grew up in Wilmington and went to State. Guess it’ll be another Elizabeth Dole situation with her using an address that isn’t hers to establish residency.

Not sure who else from the right will be vying for Burr’s seat but she would destroy Dan Forest and Pat McCrory in a primary

And mark Meadows.

That's who I was thinking about. He almost certainly will run for the GOP nomination for Burr's Senate seat in 2022. A Meadows/Lara Trump GOP primary would be fun to watch, albeit with the terrible thought that either of them would have a good shot at winning that seat in the general election, especially if the Democrats can't find a strong candidate to run against them.

Back