• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 races (and 2021 for weird commonwealths like Virginia)

Maybe to those of us on the outside, but the tens of thousands of Democrats in that district probably believe otherwise. If they want to provide an alternative to Greene's dangerous nonsense, they should do so and get support from the state party infrastructure. One purpose of gerrymandering is to get people to just give up on politics all together to make the winners seem inevitable.

I wonder if you will admit to your lies, but I won't hold my breath.

Why didn't you include the rest of your post? She's right to call him out BUT Cruz didn't actually want her killed, BUT AOC should accept bipartisanship, BUT we need to lower the temperature, BUT we need to unify. It sure seems like you don't really agree that she was right to call him out.

Maybe to those of us on the outside, but the tens of thousands of Democrats in that district probably believe otherwise. If they want to provide an alternative to Greene's dangerous nonsense, they should do so and get support from the state party infrastructure. One purpose of gerrymandering is to get people to just give up on politics all together to make the winners seem inevitable.

But why waste time and resources for a lost cause?

It’s better to cede the seat and have an easy villain.

Beto is considering running for Governor. People here seem to hate Beto but he’s been doing work in Texas after his 2018 loss and his numbers are favorable.

2018 Sen - Cruz 50.9%, Beto 48.3%
2018 Gov - Abbott 55.8%, Valdez 42.5%
2020 Sen - Cornyn 53.5%, Hegar 43.9%
2020 Pres - Trump 52.1%, Biden 46.5%

I think hate may be a bit strong. Disappointed in would be more apt. About a year and a half before the election, the 2 Dems I was most excited about were Beto and Harris, and those 2 ended up being the 2 I was most disappointed in. Harris because her campaign sucked and she made poor choices, and Beto because he came across as an empty suit with little substance. I don't think he's a bad guy, though, and would surely support him for office in TX if I lived there.

I think hate may be a bit strong. Disappointed in would be more apt. About a year and a half before the election, the 2 Dems I was most excited about were Beto and Harris, and those 2 ended up being the 2 I was most disappointed in. Harris because her campaign sucked and she made poor choices, and Beto because he came across as an empty suit with little substance. I don't think he's a bad guy, though, and would surely support him for office in TX if I lived there.

One thing I do find positive in the presidential results from TX is that the state is steadily getting closer and closer for Democrats. It's still likely a decade or 15 years away from actually being competitive and within reach for Democrats, but at least Republicans now need to put real resources and money into the state each presidential election year, which means they can't spend those resources and money someplace else. I don't agree with those who argue that TX is a permanent lost cause for Democrats in presidential races - it's just going to take some more time and lots of grassroots effort. But it is getting closer with each election, it seems.

But why waste time and resources for a lost cause?

It’s better to cede the seat and have an easy villain.

If someone from that district wants to run and make the case against a crazy person, let them. We have to stop thinking about red and blue districts as if that’s the only people who live there. Democrats in that district should feel free to out fourth and alternative.

If someone from that district wants to run and make the case against a crazy person, let them. We have to stop thinking about red and blue districts as if that’s the only people who live there. Democrats in that district should feel free to out fourth and alternative.

Totally agree. But the DCCC has finite resources and shouldn’t waste them in a district that is a lost cause. How much money do you think they’re going to raise by having MTG as a boogie man? How much has the GOP raised using AOC the same way?

LOL. The DCCC wouldn’t have to spend a penny. They problem would be too many donors to that race. It would be a fundraising bonanza that Georgia Dems could redirect to other races.

LOL. The DCCC wouldn’t have to spend a penny. They problem would be too many donors to that race. It would be a fundraising bonanza that Georgia Dems could redirect to other races.

Now it would because she’s made a national profile. But for some unknown race that’s 1 of 435 nobody cares or pays attention.

The DCCC and Senate election committee needs to make Greene and Bobert the faces of the GOP. Every ad should be noun, verb, Taylor-Greene or Bobert. EVERY AD.

Fetterman has officially announced for PA Senate race. This would be a big win.

Texas went for Jimmy Carter in 1976. Hubert Humphrey carried Texas in 1968, even in the face of Nixon's "southern strategy." So Texas could be brought into play and should not be simply written off as "republican forever."

TX will be purple by 2032. With the right candidate, they could go Dem for POTUS in 24 or 28.

Texas went for Jimmy Carter in 1976. Hubert Humphrey carried Texas in 1968, even in the face of Nixon's "southern strategy." So Texas could be brought into play and should not be simply written off as "republican forever."

You can't compare today to the 1960s-70s. Before the civil rights movement, the Pub party was more kindly disposed to folks of color, and southern Dixiecrats were the problem. My recollection was that MLK was a registered Pub. That didn't switch overnight as many Dixiecrats still voted Dem in state elections but began voting for Pubs nationally. And Nixon started making inroads with his southern strategy, and that process was pretty much completed by Reagan in 1980.

I agree with Highland that TX is probably a decade or so away from truly being competitive. And the problem from an EC perspective is that Trump has redrawn the map so that OH and FL aren't currently competitive. So we have to keep making inroads in NC, GA and AZ. AZ Pubs are doing their best to help us with their censuring of Cindy McCain and Flake.

I’m not giving up on FL. We just need our version of Stacey Abrams to step forward. The FL Democrat Party is pretty much nonexistent yet every statewide race is tantalizingly close. Left leaning amendments pass with over 60% of votes.

I’m not giving up on FL. We just need our version of Stacey Abrams to step forward. The FL Democrat Party is pretty much nonexistent yet every statewide race is tantalizingly close. Left leaning amendments pass with over 60% of votes.

Trump won by 3 points in 2020, bettering the 1 point victory he had over Hillary, an inferior opponent. The Trump team really engaged the South FL Nicaraguan and Cuban expats this last time around, and the post-mortem was that that made a significant difference. The supposition was that in 2016 that population didn't show up for Trump because of how badly he mistreated Rubio and Cruz in the primary, but they came around for him this time because he spent a year courting that vote. I'm guessing that same vote shows up for Trump or another Trumpy nominee in 2024. And if a consensus nominee like Biden lost by 3%, what 2024 nominee is going to better that? No, I see FL as a bit out of reach in the near term, not as bad as OH or IA, but about as out of reach as say a NV or MN currently is for Pubs. 2024 comes down to GA, NC, AZ, PA and WI.

Back