• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 races (and 2021 for weird commonwealths like Virginia)

First time seeing this Haley Stevens woman from Michigan and she seems like a total psycho.

I just read three stories about Stevens and she doesn't seem psychotic. Seems very qualified. Not sure why two Democratic incumbents are running against each other unless the MI House intentionally double-bunked them She's apparently more pro-Israel than the Jewish candidate she just defeated though. Maybe I should watch some video.

Sure, but I'd call her a politician, before I called her psychotic.

its like the Republicans are actually trying to make more and more people hate them. The Handmaid's tale abortion laws, the voting against the vets burn pit bill, voting against the computer chips bill, purposely taking the insulin provision out of the inflation bill. I could go on but you get the point.

Democrats basically gave the 2022 elections away and Republicans are scrambling to find a way not to take those seats. Its amazing.

I wish I could say it will lose them support, but they've been doing this for years and it hasn't hurt them yet.

Just saw a Rubio ad that has a bunch of cops in uniform saying how bad Val Demings is. Are cops technically allowed to do political stuff like this while in uniform? If it is no, I assume they have nothing to worry about in DeSantis’s “free state of Florida.”

Sheriff is generally an elected position, so yeah, policing is politicized. Also, see First Amendment.

looks like it might be illegal for deputies under the Hatch Act, but elected sheriffs are exempt

We used to get instructions every election cycle about campaign work in official capacity. Sheriffs are exempt as you said.

I was not a deputy.

Sheriff is generally an elected position, so yeah, policing is politicized. Also, see First Amendment.

The first amendment is great, but wearing the uniform to make a political statement especially in support of a specific party of candidate is a violation of federal law.

The first amendment is great, but wearing the uniform to make a political statement especially in support of a specific party of candidate is a violation of federal law.

Somebody better report those Florida cops and the Rubio campaign. I'm sure they're guilty and you've sniffed them out.

I know that they are the elected sheriffs. This sort of thing goes on in every state and every political party.

Yes, because it’s an elected office and exempt from the Hatch Act.

The stars on the collars make me think the two uniformed people in the video are Sheriffs, who are allowed to appear in political ads.

It’s also possible that the cops in these ads where in costume uniforms that are not the actual uniforms of their departments, so it’s a loophole.

Back