• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republican Bullshit

It would really suck to go up to a trans person and say “yeah, I know that joke was pretty shitty and perpetuated hateful stereotypes about you, but we have to stay silent about it so we can win over this Michigan factory worker’s vote”

My point is this: the Democrats have a much more difficult job to do, and success requires more effective and focused messaging. That focus should be on improving the lives of working men and women and their families, who I believe are struggling and need the most help. Every policy position and every talking point should be focused on that goal and easy for voters to understand how it will help.

Once again, Florida passed a $15.00 minimum wage with over 60% of the vote, but Republicans won the state. Why is that?

My point is this: the Democrats have a much more difficult job to do, and success requires more effective and focused messaging. That focus should be on improving the lives of working men and women and their families, who I believe are struggling and need the most help. Every policy position and every talking point should be focused on that goal and easy for voters to understand how it will help.

Once again, Florida passed a $15.00 minimum wage with over 60% of the vote, but Republicans won the state. Why is that?

Yeah you are saying the same thing everyone here agrees with. And it has absolutely nothing to do with whether posters here care about transphobic jokes.

As to the WYOMINGDeac post that set this all off.. shut the fuck up with that bullshit dude.

Your friends and family who voted for Trump are bigots, they may have not say it out loud but I guarantee you that it would take me three minutes of talking "politics" for them to start repeating bigoted talking points. This happens frequently with my own mother, and I assure you that your bigoted relatives would react the same way. It is easy to bait brainwash people.

I get what you're saying, but I don't think the problem is nearly as bad in the Democratic Party as the Republican, and I'm not sure what one can do stop some people from getting pissed off and ranting about it, especially on message boards. Telling them to shut up certainly won't work, driving them out of the party for complaining is a bad idea, and message boards are always going to have people complaining about something, and "purity tests" have been around in American politics since the Salem Witch Trials. I don't like them either, all I'm saying that it's a part of human nature and that I'm not sure there's any real way to stop it in either party. And right-wing media is always going to amplify anything any Democrat says to drive a further wedge between the GOP base and Democrats.

For all the talk about how hard it is to be a pro-life Democrat, it’s petty impossible to be a pro-choice Republican. Purity.

As to the WYOMINGDeac post that set this all off.. shut the fuck up with that bullshit dude.

Your friends and family who voted for Trump are bigots, they may have not say it out loud but I guarantee you that it would take me three minutes of talking "politics" for them to start repeating bigoted talking points. This happens frequently with my own mother, and I assure you that your bigoted relatives would react the same way. It is easy to bait brainwash people.

This. Why does the left need to confront our most lefty members? Nowhere in the most lefty positions is there any exploitation of Americans (or foreign entities), or nefarious language to bamboozle Americans out of money, or policies that foist any ideology religious or otherwise onto other Americans.

The right is rife with it.

For all the talk about how hard it is to be a pro-life Democrat, it’s petty impossible to be a pro-choice Republican. Purity.

That's actually still viable in New England (edit- or maybe only Vermont, idk). Vermont's Republican governor is openly pro-choice and voted for Biden. He still vetoed a $15 minimum wage, toxic regulations bill, climate change bill, and paid family leave, so definitely a Republican. Yet still won re-election comfortably in the state that gave Biden his largest margin of victory after DC. Weird electorate.

This. Why does the left need to confront our most lefty members? Nowhere in the most lefty positions is there any exploitation of Americans (or foreign entities), or nefarious language to bamboozle Americans out of money, or policies that foist any ideology religious or otherwise onto other Americans.

The right is rife with it.
Because like it or not they don't seem to be paying an electoral penalty for it to the extent that we can actually build a governing coalition

That's actually still viable in New England (edit- or maybe only Vermont, idk). Vermont's Republican governor is openly pro-choice and voted for Biden. He still vetoed a $15 minimum wage, toxic regulations bill, climate change bill, and paid family leave, so definitely a Republican. Yet still won re-election comfortably in the state that gave Biden his largest margin of victory after DC. Weird electorate.

Arlen Specter (PA) was back in the day, but switched party affiliations in 2010 because the Republicans were too far right for him.

Because like it or not they don't seem to be paying an electoral penalty for it to the extent that we can actually build a governing coalition

Yeah. People vote for Democrats to lead a bipartisan government. When that doesn’t happen, they blame Democrats and vote for Republicans to oppose government.

50% of the country is never gonna side with the group telling them they need to include gender pronouns in your email signature.

Yeah. People vote for Democrats to lead a bipartisan government. When that doesn’t happen, they blame Democrats and vote for Republicans to oppose government.

^This. Democrats are the party that doesn't see government as an evil, alien force occupying America but as a duly elected government that is capable of doing things to help people, and has been frequently used as a positive instrument for improving the nation and helping and protecting ordinary Americans for well over a century. Republicans, meanwhile, have morphed from being the party that is suspicious of the government and is pro-business into a Trump-cult party that irrationally hates and fears its own government and whose main goal is to prevent said government from making any reforms (or under Trump from even being simply competent in many areas and agencies.) That places Democrats in a very tough spot, as unless they have control of both House of Congress and the WH they're now finding it almost impossible to get anything done or to get any of their agenda passed, as Republicans simply and blindly oppose every single thing they propose or want to do. And when Democrats can't get the government to work to help people, voters blame them and elect Republicans who foul things up even more and cut even more government services and then blame it all on Democrats. Trumpism isn't traditional conservatism like Eisenhower or even Reagan practiced, it's become a kind of burn-it-all-down nihilism. Given that, I have no idea how Biden is going to be able to govern effectively.

I enjoy reminding trumpers that their hero Reagan would not be welcome in the current iteration of their party. If the far left segment of the Democratic Party gets their way, they will be telling me the same about Obama. I do not want that to happen. Add Bill Maher to the list of people who have failed the purity test.

who do y'all think are administering these "purity tests" and what are the consequences for failing one?

From what he’s saying, the people administering the purity tests aren’t even Democrats themselves or are reluctant Dems at best.

We’re trying to cancel Baby Yoda, bro. It’s getting wild out there. Plus I thought libtards were all about abortion.

who do y'all think are administering these "purity tests" and what are the consequences for failing one?

I would probably start with the Bernie supporters who sat 2016 out. That was a pretty solid example of the harm caused by a purity test.

I would probably start with the Bernie supporters who sat 2016 out. That was a pretty solid example of the harm caused by a purity test.

Yeah so people who don’t even really consider themselves Democrats.

Back