• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Post your 2020 “Black Friday” deals

myDeaconmyhand

First man to get a team of horses up Bear Mountain
Reaction score
Seems like Black Friday is basically all November now, so post your loot, and links would be helpful too

Wow that’s a good deal. We are looking at replacing some pots and pans also so will probably scoop that up — thanks!

Not an expert but in case folks are even less of an expert than me and wondering whether they should be buying an entire set of stainless steel cookware... Yes, they can suck to clean, barkeeepers friend required. They are also NOT non-stick and you should have non-stick pans and pots as well. I think investing in nice stainless steel (all-clad is the best) and cast iron or carbon is worth the money (our Le Crueset cast iron skillet is maybe the best thing we own), then for non-stick just buy T-Fal and replace it every year or two. All non-stick breaks down over time and regardless of what even the most expensive non-stick brands promise they get scratched and the coating wears off.

I was pretty disappointed at how quickly our calphalon nonstick marked up

Making the slow transition to carbon steel now

My parents gave us an All Clad set for our wedding and by continuously using Barkeepers Friend they still look brand new almost 8 years later

27 years in our All-Clad LTD cookware is like new. I think it’ll last centuries.

what's the deal with carbon steel?

Basically they can be a "best of both worlds" combo of non-stick and cast iron. They can sear and reach high temps like cast iron, but once properly seasoned they can be legit non-stick for things like omelets, melted cheese, fish, etc. They can be a little tricky to care for, but they are everywhere in pro kitchens.

Well seasoned cast iron is fabulous and essentially non-stick.

I’ve never been successful making eggs in cast iron. That’s what I use my non-stick for these days.

I think the ideal pot/pan set would be 1 cast iron skillet, 1 all clad skillet, 1 all clad sauce pan, 1 non stick skillet, 1 enameled cast iron dutch oven, and 1 stockpot. Pretty sure you don't need anything else.

I've been incredibly pleased with my knockoff All Clad - Tramontina. Just gotta be tri-ply.

I’ve never been successful making eggs in cast iron. That’s what I use my non-stick for these days.

It’s all in the technique...but don’t ask me.

My wife and one of my kids can do eggs in the frying pan and they get zero sticking to the pan. Me and child number two...we get eggs sticking like crazy.

Maybe I should ask them...ok I just asked...

1. Heat the (well seasoned) pan before putting eggs in

2. Use some fat in the pan

3. Let the eggs “set” good in the pan before stirring or messing with them.

I dunno...I’m sure some Teflon-ish thing is simpler, but I know if someone cares to figure it out— eggs can be reliably cooked in cast iron without sticking.

Happy cooking!

1 enameled cast iron dutch oven

If not already obvious, I’m not much of a chef...fortunately, my wife enjoys cooking and is a fantastic one.

She’s figured out a way to make sourdough bread in our enameled cast Dutch oven that’s near perfect.

I think the ideal pot/pan set would be 1 cast iron skillet, 1 all clad skillet, 1 all clad sauce pan, 1 non stick skillet, 1 enameled cast iron dutch oven, and 1 stockpot. Pretty sure you don't need anything else.

This is a solid list and pretty much where I've ended up. Couldn't live without a non stick griddle (pancakes) and I like having essentially an indoor and an outdoor cast iron skillet.

As for eggs on cast iron... Enamled? Maybe. And you can technically get eggs not to stick on pretty much anything if you use enough oil/butter. But if you're a cooking nerd at all and get into like a legit french omelet or certain fish preps it's really not doable on normal cast iron. You also have the long heat-up time, it just doesn't really fit as the right thing to cook eggs in.

Back