• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Not all Sam's fault

Can't believe some of yall still fall for the Fusiondad bit.

In full disclosure, I'm the one who asked Hartman "what is it going to take to bounce back from this?" It wasn't my best question, admittedly. Not even sure what I was going for with it, or how he's supposed to answer.

To the main theme of where this discussion has gone: Look, Pilch, you can spew numbers all you want. That's great that they put up 53 points and 606 yards. Those are broad numbers that ignore how the offense fell off of a cliff for a 20-minute segment of this game. I'm sure you can spew more stats that you think prove your point. I'm just going to leave a question to Sean Maginn -- he plays offense -- and his answer from today's interview:

Was Saturday a difficult game to evaluate offensively? You put up 53 points, 600-plus yards of offense, obviously those are good numbers, but you see that you had 45 points midway through the third quarter and only got to 53 because of a 2-minute drill at the end. Does that make things harder to evaluate?

I wouldn’t really say so. I mean yeah, we did good in the first three quarters. But if you look at that fourth quarter, we were downright terrible, to be honest.
We just, three-and-out, three-and-out, four-and-out. Six-play drive, punt. We’ve got to be better than that. We knew UNC was going to come back with that offense.
I mean, it’s not the defense’s fault, to be honest. They did the best they could, they played their heart out, we understood that. We knew we had to step up and just didn’t execute.
That’s what hurts, we just didn’t finish.
We’ve got that bad taste in our mouth and this week we want to go out and prove that we can finish in the fourth quarter.

I love that answer. Maginn accepted responsibility. You expected him to throw the defense under the bus?

Old Conor---stand up guy.

Conor's question caused the player to implicitly address:
(1) So called talent disparity; Maginn never mentioned how good the opponent's players are.
(2) Playcalling and scheme; Maginn never said the team got out of their rhythm or expected more runs, etc.
(3) Player responsibility for what I call, looking at the score; Maginn said they did not execute or finish.
Quote: "we were downright terrible, to be honest." He siad not a peep about lack of talent on WF's side of the ball.

The fact of the matter is that the offense was terrible for twenty minutes. Everyone, including Hartman. He missed open receivers on several occasions. There were 2-3 dropped passes as well. It happens. Get over it.

Back