• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Deacs at Duke - Cancelled/Postponed Due to COVID

agreed - 10 conference games is overkill, and the commitment to a non-conference game was dumb. It felt to me that the ACC originally scheduled one non-con to preserve the ACC-SEC rivalry games; then when the SEC bailed, the ACC didn't want to appear to change their minds just because of the SEC's decision. So we get Liberty steamrolling two ACC teams, and limited flexibility, as a reward.

The decision was basically all about inventory for the ACC Network. The original parameters (playing the non-conference game in your home state) preserved the possibility of the ACC/SEC rivalry games happening, and put the onus on the SEC for allowing (or cancelling) those games, but make no mistake, having a non-conference game was all about having extra games for the ACC Network, and trying to preserve as much of the conference TV payout from ESPN as possible.

Since Duke doesn't seem to have any interest of playing this game December 19th it seems could we not schedule a team like Pittsburgh for that day instead?

Since Duke doesn't seem to have any interest of playing this game December 19th it seems could we not schedule a team like Pittsburgh for that day instead?

Duke doesn't want to get trounced. Could be the end of the line for Cutcliffe.

Why would they? They're having an awful year, they aren't going to be going to a bowl, why would they want to play a meaningless game on Dec. 19th under these circumstances?

This is a good idea but I don’t think the ACC would want to give anybody an extra game.

This is a good idea but I don’t think the ACC would want to give anybody an extra game.

Yeah, I think I'd have to be a situation where another ACC team lost a conference game and also had a desire to play a 10th conference game.

Or I guess anyone in the area... Maybe like App? Make our own impromptu bowl game?

I just really wanna extend our winning season streak to 5 seasons.

If WF hosts the game, then they hold the TV rights. Think the ACC would be up for any extra programming options; so, rather than nix a game on December 19, think the ACC would welcome it.

If WF hosts the game, then they hold the TV rights. Think the ACC would be up for any extra programming options; so, rather than nix a game on December 19, think the ACC would welcome it.

There are a number of bowl games that will take place between Dec. 19th and Dec. 26th, especially for the Group of 5 teams, so finding an available non-conference opponent available to play that date could be challenging.

Is Little Sisters of the Poor still fielding a team this year? If so, we should play them.

It would be fun to ruin Liberty's dream season...

Or maybe we schedule Elon to notch another win. Let them play an exhibition game of sorts before they start the colonial grind in the Spring.

Back