• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Deacs at Duke - Cancelled/Postponed Due to COVID

Bring back the Big Four...

Or Deacon Bowl

Love our own bowl.

I think it was Grobe's first year at Wake, we had a winning record but only played 11 games. We didn't get a bowl bid nor did Hawaii, and there was some talk of the two creating their own "bowl game" (actually not a bowl as they have to be sanctioned, but an "extra game"), based on Wake not playing a 12th game and U. of Hawaii having at the time some funky flexible scheduling allowance based on it giving more teams in the lower 48 a chance to travel outside the continental U.S. At least that's the way I recall it; maybe others can clean up anything I've got wrong. But regardless, the game did not occur and I don't think it got much past the "what if" phase.

I think it was Grobe's first year at Wake, we had a winning record but only played 11 games. We didn't get a bowl bid nor did Hawaii, and there was some talk of the two creating their own "bowl game" (actually not a bowl as they have to be sanctioned, but an "extra game"), based on Wake not playing a 12th game and U. of Hawaii having at the time some funky flexible scheduling allowance based on it giving more teams in the lower 48 a chance to travel outside the continental U.S. At least that's the way I recall it; maybe others can clean up anything I've got wrong. But regardless, the game did not occur and I don't think it got much past the "what if" phase.

Good memory. I vaguely recall something about that idea.

Teams were allowed a 12th game if they played at Hawaii.

That would have been a good idea and a good game. Hawaii was 9-3 and didn’t get a bowl. They crushed #9 BYU 72-45 in their last game.

Teams were allowed a 12th game if they played at Hawaii.

That would have been a good idea and a good game. Hawaii was 9-3 and didn’t get a bowl. They crushed #9 BYU 72-45 in their last game.

Can you imagine scoring 45 points and losing?

The Wake press release says that the ACC has agreed that Wake can schedule another non-conference game. I wonder if we could get a game for next weekend?

The Wake press release says that the ACC has agreed that Wake can schedule another non-conference game. I wonder if we could get a game for next weekend?

Got to think it would about have to be an FCS opponent.

Clawson and Currie may decide to just let the guys have a Thanksgiving break of some sort instead of hastily putting together a game.

Clawson and Currie may decide to just let the guys have a Thanksgiving break of some sort instead of hastily putting together a game.

It could go either way. Since they can't go home for Thanksgiving, they may as well play a game and keep busy. Especially if it is a glorified scrimmage against an FCS team. Of course they haven't been practicing for the last few days. It might be good to have 2 weeks to prepare for Miami.

Almost certain we will have a game. I assume we petitioned for it and Duke did not which is why they aren’t listed as having permission.

Western Carolina is the obvious answer if we can. they are playing Eastern Kentucky today and don't have another until UNC in two weeks.

I don’t understand why any of you all would want to play a game we could potentially lose trying to have our fifth consecutive winning/bowl season and already losing our 3 easiest games of the year to Covid.

I don’t understand why any of you all would want to play a game we could potentially lose trying to have our fifth consecutive winning/bowl season and already losing our 3 easiest games of the year to Covid.

What are you talking about? Bowls can pick teams with losing records.

This is very inconsiderate by Duke to pull this. I really hope Jimmy is allowed to work something out where he can play another acc team or possibly nonconference. Maybe check with ECU and see if they will agree to play.

Back