• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Deacs at Duke - Cancelled/Postponed Due to COVID

We'll be 5-5 or 4-6. Even though records don't matter, it seems unlikely we'll be in a bowl.

Finish the season if that's what the players want. But Covid is out of control and if they packed it in I'd be okay with that.

If we are playing on Saturday, we’ve got to hear something today. ECU has a game on Saturday. The only FBS option I can think of is BYU. They don’t play again until Dec 12.

Yes but do you really think we are a team that gets picked with a losing record?

Yes. Since most of the bowls (if not all of them) won't be relying on attendance due to COVID and the ACC has 9 bowl tie-ins, Wake is in good position to go to a bowl game. Especially if we beat Louisville and finish at 5-5.

I see a good chance for both ND and Clemson to go to the CFP. Then that would leave:
Orange Bowl- Miami
Cheezit Bowl-UNC
Duke's Mayo Bowl-NCSU
Pinstripe-VT
Sun-Wake
Military-BC
Gator-UVa
Independence- PITT
Gasparilla/Birmingham/First Responders-L'ville

Or if only one of ND/Clemson makes the playoff, then we have:

Orange Bowl- Clemson/ND
Cheezit Bowl-Miami
Duke's Mayo Bowl-UNC
Pinstripe-PITT
Sun-Wake
Military-NCSU
Gator-UVa
Independence- VT
Gasparilla/Birmingham/First Responders-BC

BYU-Army was postponed earlier this year, and they both have Dec 5th open.

Cincinnati has no game scheduled Dec 5.

We are still slated to play Miami on Dec 5. We need a game for this Saturday.

I will be surprised if Wake schedules a game for this Saturday. There is still a possibility the team would be missing players due to covid or injury. A three week layoff would allow for a stronger and healthier squad to finish the season. Clawson isn't conceding a loss to Miami at home. A win at home against a top ten Miami team and at Louisville to finish the season would certainly improve the Deacs standing in the ACC and the quality of a bowl invitation.

That's why WCU makes sense. We should still easily win even if we're missing a few guys. Plus it should be a good opportunity to get the backups some extra game reps.

That's why WCU makes sense. We should still easily win even if we're missing a few guys. Plus it should be a good opportunity to get the backups some extra game reps.

I agree 10-15 years of consistent winning/competing/bowls is what I�ve always thought we needed to become a consistent top of the league team. Need to keep that momentum going anyway possible this year

Don’t think we’re getting BYU

BYU wants guarantees that the PAC-12 won't cancel the game so UW can play another conference opponent.

BYU is still looking for a game. I'd live a BYU-Wake match-up.

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1330689139767906311?s=19
fd3a52b6b294233c094e4c3f6ef05a29.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah let's replace Duke with another top 10 team

Can't imagine having a game this weekend if it hasn't been announced yet.

Agree. If this was basketball, could see picking up a game with short notice (that may the plan for WF as the Deacs have room for two more OOC games), but football takes so much advance planning both for the players and just the logistics to set up a game (even without fans), just can't see two schools being able to schedule a game with such limited lead time.

Back