• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Deacs at Duke - Cancelled/Postponed Due to COVID

Pilchard

Reaction score
Deacs face a tough situational spot on Saturday at Duke. WF is coming off an "all-in" effort against UNC, while Duke had a bye. With that said, WF has greatly out-performed Duke this year by most metrics:

WF averages 39 ppg: Duke averages 26
WF gives up 29 ppg: Duke gives up 32

WF is #25 in the latest Sagarin ratings.

Duke is #72.

The biggest difference between the two teams is turnover margin:

Through 7 games, WF has lost one TO (fewest in the nation) and gained 16.

Through 8 games, Duke has lost 25 TOs (most in the nation) and gained 14.

The line opened at WF minus 6. It has now dropped to WF minus 4.5.

Would think the health of Donovan Greene and the WF secondary are keys. WF has won two straight and 3 of 4 against Duke, by a combined margin of 145-79.

FWIW, the Miami at WF game for November 28 has been put on six day hold. Game time won't be announced until next Monday.

Last edited:
Absolute must win game. Can't afford any hangover from last Saturday, also do not want to go 0-3 against our Big 4 rivals this season.

Concerned about this game —Duke has nothing to lose this year and Cutcliffe is a known asshole who will do anything to win. On the other hand , if we start strong like at UNC, I think they fold.

I worry that we are deflated after the UNC game. May be close then we pull away at the end.

Those missing DBs back for this game? I would think so since Clawson apparently thought they should play/play more against uNC.

If we have Greer, Davis, Masterson, & Greene back, I'm going to have to lay the points. Deacs have been a covering machine this year, and Duke is a shell of what it's been in recent years.

It's still weird to me that despite the inexperience, injuries, and poor DB play at times, if our front 7 had performed anywhere near most of our (and the coaches') expectations, we'd be 6-1 instead of 4-3. They were supposed to be the strength of our team, and have been quite disappointing.

FWIW, Duke has had a lot of attrition this year, and it has continued this week. They just lost one of their starting safeties for the year.

A big key is Donovan Greene. If he can play, he should have a monster game. If he can't go, WF becomes much easier to defend.

Realize that it's pointless to pay the "what if" game, but with the way that Greene and Roberson have emerged, if Sage Surratt has played this season, the WF offense would've been ridiculously unstoppable. No doubt, WF wins at UNC with Surratt, and maybe at State as well. Think that Surratt, Roberson and Greene will all play on Sundays.

When will we know the injury report from the UNC game. Or, has that report situation now become 'close to the vest' as far as public knowledge?

Clawson has admitted that in light of HIPPA, he won't disclose injury details. On Tuesdays, he will advise if players who had been out have returned to practice, but he won't make any commitment about who is playing and who is out on Saturday. COVID has further obscured player availability.

Duke is terrible.

We need to tackle a lot better, get them in 3rd and must pass situation (by tackling well on 1st and 2nd down), stop them, and let our offense roll early and often.

I re-watched the game, and yes, we desperately need those safeties back. And Greene too, so Groulx plays limited snaps.

Apparently Duke isn't allowing any fans in for games- figures that I'll happen to be in the area Saturday too. Is there any way to peep the game from a high vantage point outside Wally Wade?

The case used to be there was a waist high wall around the playing field. You could see over from that far back, just beyond the last upper row of seats. Don't think that changes with the big remodel they had, but not sure. But, can you get on campus and that close? (edit - there is an outer fence where tickets are taken, so likely no.)

Last edited:
Apparently Duke isn't allowing any fans in for games- figures that I'll happen to be in the area Saturday too. Is there any way to peep the game from a high vantage point outside Wally Wade?

Why? Just watch on TV

Tackles gonna need to play well. Dimukeje and Rumph have a lot of talent and both have NFL draft buzz. Dimukeje was especially a problem last year with two sacks and several more pressures.

Groulx was given the opportunity to step in and be a difference maker this season. He hasn't capitalized on that opportunity. I hope he takes that to heart and works his ass off this offseason to become a legit ACC receiver. I've been more disappointed by his play than any one individual or position group this season.

Tackles gonna need to play well. Dimukeje and Rumph have a lot of talent and both have NFL draft buzz. Dimukeje was especially a problem last year with two sacks and several more pressures.

Yes. That is Duke's strength. DL, particularly the DEs. They made a difference in holding down Notre Dame. Against UNC, not so much. IIRC, UNC scored TDs on its first 7 possessions. As mentioned above, Duke will quit if WF jumps on them early. If Duke hangs around, they may start to believe (and care).

FWIW, Duke has a bit of a QB controversy. Cut appears to be sticking with Chase Brice (who played against WF in 2018 and 2019 for Clemson) who has been awful: 7 TDs 12 picks, 54% completion % and cannot run. To the extent Duke football fans exist, their fans want Gunnar Holmberg to get a shot as he has been slightly more productive in limited time. There is some concern that Holmberg might transfer after the season because he is not getting chance to play despite Brice's struggles.

I think Wake plays well and covers the spread on this one. Jimmy will have the team focused and ready to go.

Sounds like they are dropping like flies on the Wake depth chart. Same story every year, attrition and then the end of season collapse. Greer now out for the season. We will be lucky to win Saturday.

Sounds like they are dropping like flies on the Wake depth chart. Same story every year, attrition and then the end of season collapse. Greer now out for the season. We will be lucky to win Saturday.

Yes about Greer but Clawson seems to indicate plenty are from Covid/contact tracing.

Back