• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: Cheatin' TKory !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
do any of you guys line item budget?

I tried for like a month and it was terrible

now I just have my big buckets, most of which are auto-payments: housing, savings, car, donations, and then the rest is just like don't spend more than what's left

Just curious because it's an area where we are trying to cut back. Well, we are trying to cut everything back but food seems to be something we blow through money on. I probably didn't factor in my alcohol on my original post, so I'm closer to $1,250 a month.

When you buy groceries are you planning out specific meals and then shopping for those ingredients? That can help cut down on food waste and buying unnecessary things. By the end of the week our fridge looks pathetic but that’s by design as we eat through what we bought.

My kids are 7, 9, and 11 and eat a shitload more than they used to, especially the 11 year old. Wish I had that kid's metabolism.

I don't eat much meat and I don't cook it for myself, so that helps keep the grocery bill low

working from home, which will be my reality even post-covid, also makes it a lot easier to eat cheaper and healthier at lunch

I also fucking haaaate wasting food, so I'm pretty good at buying what I'm gonna eat and knowing what I have -- it makes for some boring eating patterns sometimes though and really hurts my capacity to just whip something up in the kitchen with what I have

You're in Philly, right? Or DC? Sorry, I can't keep up where everyone lives. I imagine there's a slight increase in takeout cost than in Winston-Salem, but still, that's a decent bit.

DC

I think it'll be something that takes a hit when we start paying for childcare and need to cut back. We tend to do takeout 3 of the 4 nights between Thursday and Sunday.

now I just have my big buckets, most of which are auto-payments: housing, savings, car, donations, and then the rest is just like don't spend more than what's left

Yes. Though I have to admit, I really only get that detailed when I start to worry that things have gotten out of hand with our spending (which happens from time to time).

I'd say we spend (as a family of 5) about $1500 on "food" a month (groceries/staples & restaurants/takeout).

I've tried numerous times to get us on a budget of $250 a week, but it doesn't work. Even when we string a few weeks together, it basically ends with a pent-up explosion of spending at Costco to restock.

We don't spend much at all on alcohol, though.

I don't eat much meat and I don't cook it for myself, so that helps keep the grocery bill low

working from home, which will be my reality even post-covid, also makes it a lot easier to eat cheaper and healthier at lunch

I also fucking haaaate wasting food, so I'm pretty good at buying what I'm gonna eat and knowing what I have -- it makes for some boring eating patterns sometimes though and really hurts my capacity to just whip something up in the kitchen with what I have

Same here, I hate wasting food and I have a high tolerance for eating the same thing multiple times without being tired of it. Most of our meat related dishes are not like high $ steak and seafood (again, little kids) so it’s mostly cheaper things. And we incorporate a lot more veg based proteins like lentils and chickpeas than we used to, although I still can’t get tofu to work.

Sucks that this convo will soon be buried under an avalanche of cheap biff thread stealing gifs

I do item line budget, but mostly because I am living on a grad student stipend so there's not much room to go over each month. It's also kinda nice to know where I am spending too much money, it forces me to evaluate what I am spending on that I shouldn't be each month.

Sucks that this convo will soon be buried under an avalanche of cheap biff thread stealing gifs

giphy.gif

We've tried also but aren't organized and diligent about it.

When you buy groceries are you planning out specific meals and then shopping for those ingredients? That can help cut down on food waste and buying unnecessary things. By the end of the week our fridge looks pathetic but that’s by design as we eat through what we bought.

We buy fresh veggies for the week and our protein, which is typically fish or chicken. We grill out a lot in the warmer months, which opens up the door to burgers, dogs, ribs, etc. But no true meal prep is involved. The fish I buy, unless I'm going for a nice fancy dinner, is usually the individually packed frozen salmon, snapper and grouper, which typically runs about $5-$7 per fish. We buy a couple of heads of broccoli, some green beans, zucchini and squash(when in season), and we keep a couple of bags of salads.

So a typical weeknight dinner is fish, 2 veggies and a Sister Shubert roll. = roughly $20

Yes. Though I have to admit, I really only get that detailed when I start to worry that things have gotten out of hand with our spending (which happens from time to time).

I'd say we spend (as a family of 5) about $1500 on "food" a month (groceries/staples & restaurants/takeout).

I've tried numerous times to get us on a budget of $250 a week, but it doesn't work. Even when we string a few weeks together, it basically ends with a pent-up explosion of spending at Costco to restock.

We don't spend much at all on alcohol, though.

yeah, Costco really makes for uneven spending analysis

takes a few months, even years on certain items, to realize the savings -- e.g. I'm never gonna have to buy another gallon freezer or sandwich bag again in my life

It's been a nice conversation. Biff go ahead and take us to the finish line. I don't want the pressure of updating chat thread titles.

Even Google is like “Costco gifs? WTF?”

trying to schedule my last work event before going out on paternity leave in january and stupid indian holidays are EVERYWHERE

not only am i trying to plan for an event that works for California, DC, London, and India, I have two regions of India to account for, which have different holidays

california office has a sales meeting first week of january

all US offices have the 18th off

northern india has the 26th off

southern india has the 14-15 off

getting three days of 4 hrs per day is nigh on impossible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back