• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report: Delaware State Hornets - November 25 4 pm - ACCN Extra

Pilchard

Reaction score
The competitive game portion of the Steve Forbes era starts Wednesday afternoon as the Deacs take on the Delaware State Hornets out of the MEAC.

2020-21 Hornets:

Delaware State is among the worst teams in a weak conference, MEAC (ranked #31 out of #32 conferences). Last year, Del. State went 6-26 losing all 12 of their OOC games against D-1 teams. The average margin in those 12 OOC games was 18 points. DSU played one ACC team last year, VT, and Hokies dominated: 100-64. The Hornets have not won an OOC game since beating Delaware 73-71 on December 19, 2018. That's 14 straight OOC losses against D1 teams. The Hornets did win 3 of their last 5 games to end the 2019-2020 season

This year's Delaware State team should be improved with 6 of their top 7 in minutes returning. Also, Delaware State adds 6-10 U of Tennessee transfer Zach Kent and 6-0 Niagara transfer Dominik Dragala. The Hornets top returning player is Pinky Wiley. Wiley is a point guard who averaged 10 ppg and 3 apg. Last year, DSU was among the smallest teams in the country starting 3 guards, and no starter taller than 6-8. Delware State will be bigger this year as they add the 6-10 Kent and 7-3 Chris Sodom (a Georgetown transfer) who missed all but 10 games last year due to injury and transfer rules.

Coach Eric Skeeters leads DSU, and in his 2 full seasons as head coach, he likes to push tempo. They play fast. Last year, the Hornets ranked #5 in tempo. Unfortunately for them, the Hornets played crappy defense (#347). An accelerated tempo plus bad defense means giving up lots of points. Last year, the Hornets gave up 80 or more points, in every OOC game, but one, and three teams hit the century mark against them.

Score Projection: KP's opening rankings place Delaware State at #350 in the country (there are 357 D-1 teams, including the Ivy League, who are not playing this year); while not saying a lot, if they stay healthy, Delaware State should improve on their current ranking, given the returning players and infusion of transfer talent. KP rated the Deacs #127 to open the season (WF finished last year at #103). With not a lot of background data to go on, KP projects an 84-63 Deacon win. While reports from practices and scrimmages are spotty, seems like Forbes teams have not pushed tempo in recent years (ETSU was #201, #203 and #281 in tempo the past 3 seasons; last year, WF was #79 in tempo), and Delaware State may slightly slow down the tempo with a larger lineup. So, depending on what the total on the game is (guessing it will be in the high 140s), under may be the play. Regardless of the style of play, looking for the Deacs to cruise to an easy win in Coach Forbes' first game.

Last edited:
so time for the revenge tour? We need to get that sought after revenge on these Hornets.

all I want to see is competent defensive rotations and effort

everything else is just bonus

What is ACCN Extra and how do I know if I have it?

all I want to see is competent defensive rotations and effort

everything else is just bonus

If I never hear the phrase "paint touches" again in my life, I will be okay with that. I'll be thrilled with player and team development this year. Something we haven't done in over a decade.

If I never hear the phrase "paint touches" again in my life, I will be okay with that. I'll be thrilled with player and team development this year. Something we haven't done in over a decade.

I'm with you on the player development. However, sometime in the last decade, I "moved to Missouri." "Show me."

I think there was decent individual big man development during the Manning years

both Sarr and Collins improved a good bit in their individual skillset during their time

I'm not sure any guards got better

I think there was decent individual big man development during the Manning years

both Sarr and Collins improved a good bit in their individual skillset during their time

I'm not sure any guards got better

Yeah, Manning was capable with the bigs.

Bryant Crawford was probably as good as a frosh in those games in the 2015 Maui Invitational (when we beat UCLA & Indiana) as he was as a junior. I mean, it is at least debatable.

EDITED BECAUSE I FLAT OUT FORGOT THAT CRAWFORD LEFT EARLY TO PLAY IN KAZAKHSTAN (OR WHEREVER)

EDITED A SECOND TIME BECAUSE I AM A MORON. CRAWFORD HAD 1 ASSIST AND 8 TOs IN THE WIN AGAINST INDIANA AND THEN WAS SICK AND DIDN'T PLAY AGAINST UCLA.

Last edited:
No reason to self-critique. Your brain's self-protection mechanism of blocking out the bad memories of the last decade is actually to be commended.

FWIW, the Deacon-Delaware State game is not listed on the ESPN3 website of upcoming games. Every other unknown college game is listed, but not Wake. Hope for a late addition to the schedule or a link from the university website.

The game will be available on the ESPN app... I wouldn't worry about it.

It’s just ESPN3.

But only if you have a provider that carries the ACC Network I believe. If you don't get the ACC Network on your TV, I don't think you are going to get ACC Extra or whatever via ESPN3.

Gardner Webb at Duke was supposed to be televised on the ACCN on Wednesday at 8 pm; it was cancelled because a GW player tested positive. Maybe, the Delaware State at WF gets moved to that slot to fill the programming gap?

But only if you have a provider that carries the ACC Network I believe. If you don't get the ACC Network on your TV, I don't think you are going to get ACC Extra or whatever via ESPN3.

I too am trying to figure out the tv situation because Comcast doesn’t provide the ACCN in my area. This applies to games on ACCN Extra too. Even if the game is on the ESPN App but broadcasted by the ACCN, then the ESPN App will block the stream.

It would be much appreciated if anyone has updated information on the tv coverage.

I feel like an old. I'm pissed that I'm inconvenienced about finding this game. I have YouTube TV which has ACC network. Hoping that translates to the watch espn app showing ACCN Extra

Comcast in Eastern NC shows Evansville at Louisville at that time on ACC network.

Back