• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020-21 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread - Will the Zags Go Unbeaten?

And another has a bad back. A third player's mom has a headache. The dog ate their game plan.

How many more excuses for not making The Dance do they need?

So a Duke player has COVID and the team isn't playing tonight? I guess they are done for the year? Wow.

So, the only team that opted to not to stay in the designated ACC tourney hotel(they drove back to Durham each night) for fear of getting covid got covid? I'm calling BS on this one.

If a Duke player tested positive, there is really no way they can play tonight. The ACC can’t allow the chance of other teams being infected and screwing the conference’s NCAA chances.

However, this is probably better for Duke’s NCAA bid chances than being pasted by FSU tonight.

If a Duke player tested positive, there is really no way they can play tonight. The ACC can’t allow the chance of other teams being infected and screwing the conference’s NCAA chances.

However, this is probably better for Duke’s NCAA bid chances than being pasted by FSU tonight.

No way they make the dance. You putting them in over Drake or Syracuse?

You need to be very scared. I was posting on another thread about whether K was using Covid to avoid a bad loss to get into The Dance. This is at least the third or fourth time in the past week or so we have agreed and even bee on the same wavelength at the same time.

Be afraid! Be very afraid!

^^^

Don't be afraid.

Kevin White, Duke University Vice President & Director of Athletics:

"Unfortunately, after going an entire season with no positive COVID-19 tests among our men's basketball student-athletes and coaching staff, one member of our program tested positive following Wednesday's ACC Tournament game in Greensboro. After working with our medical professionals and following Duke and ACC Medical Advisory Group health, safety, and contact tracing protocols, the student-athletes on our team are now in quarantine. Since last March when the pandemic started, we have listened to our medical experts and always put safety at the forefront of any determinations regarding competition. As a result, this will end our 2020-21 season. We wish every team still playing college basketball good health and the very best during the next few weeks."

https://goduke.com/news/2021/3/11/mens-basketball-duke-mens-basketball-out-of-acc-tournament.aspx

According to Jeff Goodman:

- It was a walk-on that tested positive (wouldn't want to be him)
- Duke is preparing as if its season is over.

The question becomes who on Duke declares for the NBA. Hurt (who almost went last year) and Steward appear to be the most likely (Johnson is already gone). Roach has been a big disappointment, and doesn't have an NBA option right now. Williams was a revelation by the end of the season, but hard to see him entering the draft.

All you need to know about the current state of the program is that Duke finished 10th in the ACC, went 13-11, and they have multiple players with decisions about whether to go the NBA or not. Talent quotient far exceeds the results quotient.

^^^

Don't be afraid.

Kevin White, Duke University Vice President & Director of Athletics:

"Unfortunately, after going an entire season with no positive COVID-19 tests among our men's basketball student-athletes and coaching staff, one member of our program tested positive following Wednesday's ACC Tournament game in Greensboro. After working with our medical professionals and following Duke and ACC Medical Advisory Group health, safety, and contact tracing protocols, the student-athletes on our team are now in quarantine. Since last March when the pandemic started, we have listened to our medical experts and always put safety at the forefront of any determinations regarding competition. As a result, this will end our 2020-21 season. We wish every team still playing college basketball good health and the very best during the next few weeks."

https://goduke.com/news/2021/3/11/mens-basketball-duke-mens-basketball-out-of-acc-tournament.aspx

Thanks for that.

What ATS should be afraid of isn't the Duke situation. He should be afraid of agreeing with me so often. :)

I guess dook couldn't find a way to cancel the entire ACCT and NCAAT this year.

Now they can say they dindn't make it because of covid, not because they suck.

Yeah, my BS radar is at least activated. K doesn’t want to finish the season with a loss, knows he probably won’t make the Tourney, would be humiliated to see Duke passed on Selection Sunday because of all the tsk-tsking that would ensue about a program in decline, and further humiliated to be invited to the NIT with the talent on his roster. So some walk-on becomes the sacrificial lamb.

None of that is probably true, but when he’s involved, if nothing else you have to play out the scenario.

I will not believe Duke is not in the NCAA Tourney until I see a bracket.

I do not think there is any broader conspiracy theory involved here. I'm sure K would like for his team to try to play their way into the NCAAs by getting an automatic bid (unlikely, but possible).

My statement that Duke could actually be better off by not getting throttled by FSU tonight was only based on my concern that there are people that matter that probably want them to make the NCAAs and now they can point to the unfairness of having to cancel tonight's game.

UVa squeaks by Syracuse on a buzzer beater. I think Syracuse has played themselves into the tournament.

No tourney run for KY. Miss. State led for most of the game, but after it looked like KY had taken control in the final minutes, the Cats collapsed again, and Miss State ended KY worst season in a long long long time: 9-17 (that's somehow worse than his most recent 13-18 season at WF; ouch). Sarr left WF to bask in the NCAA Tourney experience. Instead, his season ended in KY's opening round game against a non-descript opponent in a meaningless game. He is familiar with that feeling. Hope he makes many Euros in the LNB Pro A League.

Also, the #9 seed Hoyas beat #1 Villanova in the Big East tourney.

From Jeff Goodman: The last time both Duke and KY missed the NCAA was in 1976. The same year of the last college basketball unbeaten team.

Last edited:
Back