• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020-21 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread - Will the Zags Go Unbeaten?

This is a horrible take. Chaundee played hard every single game while he was at Wake - on both ends of the floor. He's a dude that it's easy to root for after he transferred.

Glad someone beat me to it. Chaundee worked his ass off in a terrible situation at Wake. Was our best defender at 3 positions. He's a streaky shooter and physical on the drive, yet doesn't quite have the lift to be a next-level finisher. He left a starting position to play 6th man for Michigan, losing 10 minutes of playing time per game and seeing his scoring output drop back down to match his freshman year at Wake. Absolutely love seeing him put up big numbers in such an important game - not all transfers are created equal.

Who in their right mind besides fans and alums "likes" VT.

I know a lot of folks who went there and have been to games down there. And their fan base historically is a bit more down to earth and less snooty than UVA's, although UVA is much better in that regard now than in was in the late 20th century. Add to that, VA is my adopted state so I root for schools like JMU and VCU as well. But I've never had the chance to root for my other alma mater, W&M, this time of year. You'd think just once.

Figured there would be a lot of Brown talk this a.m. I never blame a kid for transferring when there is a regime change, though I don't have a love affair with those players either. But that game was definitely the best game of the day. LSU is legitimately good, and Michigan played a great game without Livers to pull it out. And I'll root for either FSU or Michigan over Bama. Is Livers out for the final 4 if they make it there?

brad has gone full-on troll and is no longer worth engaging

please post accordingly

He's a streaky shooter and physical on the drive ...

Yup, getting that first bucket early was critical for Chaundee, who struggled against Ohio State in the Big Ten tournament and failed to score in U-M's opening game against Texas Southern. But he delivered a STRONG ASS performance against Will Wade yesterday.

Juwan Howard absolutely loves Chaundee, as do the rest of the kids on that roster. He's worked his ass off at Michigan, just as he did at Wake.

Michigan was far more effective during those stretches when Brooks was running the point and Colombia graduate transfer Mike Smith was on the bench. Smith against LSU's tall backcourt was a nightmare matchup. If I were mapping FSU's game plan, I'd take it straight to Smith.

Even in the Big 10, Michigan doesn't face anyone with FSU's size across all 5 positions and the bench; FSU is the biggest team in the country. Michigan kills teams on offense because they have to double on Dickinson, and then they kick to open shooters. FSU won't need to double team, and FSU's height is tough to shoot over. Also, FSU's weakness is TOs, but Michigan's defense doesn't force many. I would lean Noles in the matchup, but FSU is a weird team they will look like the best team in the nation some nights (FSU won 8 conference games by 13 or more points; crushed a good Colorado team last night), but then, lose to ND, UCF and should've lost to WF; the Noles have a consistency problem. If FSU plays well they win, but will the light switch be on or off on Sunday?

That's the thing with FSU. They had a couple of late season losses, 1 to lowly ND and didn't look good in the ACC tourney final. Then they let UNCG stay in the game forever in round 1. They looked better in the 2nd half pulling away last night. Kind of a typical Hamilton team - you can count on them to play solid D, but their offense comes and goes.

So is the Sweet 16 going to start on Saturday due to COVID or is this a permanent change? I hope it's permanent. It makes more sense to have 4 games all day Saturday and Sunday than double up on Thursday and Friday starting at 7:00.

So is the Sweet 16 going to start on Saturday due to COVID or is this a permanent change? I hope it's permanent. It makes more sense to have 4 games all day Saturday and Sunday than double up on Thursday and Friday starting at 7:00.

Don't agree. It means the Elite 8 games are on Monday and Tuesday which is not as fun as Saturday and Sunday. The revised schedule was adopted because the teams are in the NCAA bubble in Indiana. There are already dates set for the 2022 which go back to the previous formula:

- First 4 in Dayton on Tuesday and Wednesday
- First Rounds Thursday/Friday
- Second Rounds Saturday/Sunday
- Sweet 16: Thursday/Friday
- Elite 8 Saturday/Sunday

After 2022, the NCAA could change to the 2021 format if it is determined that schedule is more popular (with... the TV Networks).

FWIW, when WF cuts down the nets for its first Natty in 2025, the venue will be... The Alamodome in San Antonio with TD courtside.

The Final Four and National Championship are Sat/Mon. Makes sense to do the same for the Sweet 16 and Elite Eight.

I work on weekday mornings, so I'd prefer to have basketball to watch on Friday night vs. Tuesday night

I hate having the championship on Mondays, same with football. Put it on a Sunday.

March 23rd is an historic day in NCAA Tournament history. 64 years ago tonight Carolina beat Kansas & Wilt Chamberlain in triple overtime to cap an undefeated championship season. 59 years ago tonight Wake Forest lost to Ohio State its only Final Four in school history. 58 years ago tonight Loyola Chicago beat favored Cincinnati in overtime (after trailing by 15 points in the 2nd half) with its five starters playing the entire 45 minutes. 47 years ago tonight NC State beat UCLA, who was trying for an 8th straight NCAA title, in Greensboro after trailing by 7 points in the 2nd overtime. And 37 years ago Wake Forest "retired Meyer" by beating DePaul in the Midwest regional in overtime after trailing by 7 points with under 3 minutes to play and tying the game in regulation at the buzzer on a miracle shot by Delaney Rudd.

I work on weekday mornings, so I'd prefer to have basketball to watch on Friday night vs. Tuesday night

Exactly. While it will be nice to have Sweet 16 games that don't overlap this year, that was just CBS/Turner making the best they could out of the condensed schedule. In a normal year, when you are asking these teams to travel to three different locations, having the Elite 8 end on a Tuesday (and those teams not arriving back home until early Wednesday morning, assuming they actually fly out that night) and then making those same teams turn around and travel to the Final Four site less than 36 hours later is completely unfair.

Danny Green has endowed a scholarship at u*NC for a basketball player from out of state and of color. His way of celebrating the ring he won with the Lakers and giving back to those who helped him.

Back