• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020-21 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread - Will the Zags Go Unbeaten?

NC State MD 1974. I was there

Was that in Raleigh or College Park? I have a dim memory of that game because I was a young kid at the time.

And to think UCLA was in the play in game. And I thought MSU was the team from that game that I thought could make a run. That UCLA team is talented and plays great D, typical of a Cronin team. Why did they have such a comparatively bad regular season?

Because the Pac 12 was way better than they were given credit for.

I read that UCLA lost one of their best players mid-season and had some other nagging issues and they got kinda duped by the kid that went to the G-League so it seems like it took them a bit to settle into their rhythm

I always thought highly of Cronin

I read that UCLA lost one of their best players mid-season and had some other nagging issues and they got kinda duped by the kid that went to the G-League so it seems like it took them a bit to settle into their rhythm

I always thought highly of Cronin

They were counting on Daishen Nix to be their starting PG. He was a 5* recruit who chose the G-League. Chris Smith would have given the team a three-headed monster with Juzang and Jaquez that would have been a nightmare to defend.

Juzang and Jaquez have had their draft stock explode. If they aren't first round picks and return, UCLA could easily be preseason #1 or #2 (Michigan looks great). If they return and Chris Smith uses his "free" year, the Bruins could be a very scary team next year.

The angle behind the inbounder reminded me of the angle behind Grant Hill. Who was of course an announcer for this game.

Bears/Zags has potential to be a similar all-timer.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the championship, and I haven't said that in a long time. I hope it lives up to its billing.

The thing with the Duke-Kentucky game is it went back and forth, stayed close like this one, went to OT as well, but the winning shot was really one of those where you thought Duke was toast, had no chance, and they had to make the pass and the shot or go home. This shot, ridiculous as it was, was simply to avoid a second OT. Plus that was the game with the Laettner Stomp.

I liked Duke back then. They were easy to hate, but fun to watch. The next year they got run out of the tourney early by Kidd and Cal in a Kidd-Hurley matchup and UNC ended up winning it all.

Was that in Raleigh or College Park? I have a dim memory of that game because I was a young kid at the time.

And to think UCLA was in the play in game. And I thought MSU was the team from that game that I thought could make a run. That UCLA team is talented and plays great D, typical of a Cronin team. Why did they have such a comparatively bad regular season?

GB Coliseum ACC Final, 103-100 in OT. I was lucky to be on the back row of the upper deck. Only the winner went to NCAA, UM turned down NIT.

GB Coliseum ACC Final, 103-100 in OT. I was lucky to be on the back row of the upper deck. Only the winner went to NCAA, UM turned down NIT.

That game led to the expansion of the NCAA Tourney. There were a couple of steps before it reached 68 teams from the 24 or so pre-1974. A few years earlier, USC was #2 and didn't get to Dance.

Another major factor for the explosion in college basketball revenues was the beginning and explosion of cable TV. More stations needed more programming. In many regions, you could get top dollar advertising for sports and bball played almost every night somewhere.

I was a MD fan. I think they had McMillan, Elmore, O'Brien and Lucas. And State had Skywalker, Towell, Burleson and a solid PF. That year is the 1st I can remember becoming a college hoops fan as a kid, and that was about when my dad started taking me to MD football games - grew up in the late Claiborne years and early Ross years.

Phil Spence was the PF. They also had long-time MLB career reliever, the 6'7 Tim Stoddard on the squad.

I was a MD fan. I think they had McMillan, Elmore, O'Brien and Lucas. And State had Skywalker, Towell, Burleson and a solid PF. That year is the 1st I can remember becoming a college hoops fan as a kid, and that was about when my dad started taking me to MD football games - grew up in the late Claiborne years and early Ross years.

If I’m not mistaken, we beat that MD team in Greensboro in a game right when we got back from Christmas break. MD was ranked in the top 5 and with McMillen, Lucas and Elmore it seemed like their whole team was AA. Of course, we had some pretty good players too. Skip, Shelly, etc

That game led to the expansion of the NCAA Tourney. There were a couple of steps before it reached 68 teams from the 24 or so pre-1974. A few years earlier, USC was #2 and didn't get to Dance.

Another major factor for the explosion in college basketball revenues was the beginning and explosion of cable TV. More stations needed more programming. In many regions, you could get top dollar advertising for sports and bball played almost every night somewhere.

MD was arguably #2-3 in the country with UCLA. Mo Howard was MD's other starter. Burleson goes 18/25 with 38 pts and 13 rebs after losing all ACC center to Elmore who claimed he was the best center in the league. Both Damn good college players.

If I’m not mistaken, we beat that MD team in Greensboro in a game right when we got back from Christmas break. MD was ranked in the top 5 and with McMillen, Lucas and Elmore it seemed like their whole team was AA. Of course, we had some pretty good players too. Skip, Shelly, etc

That was my 1st memory of watching Wake hoops. They had an absolute baller guard who had his 1st name on the back of his jersey - thought that was cool. I grew up hating UNC, State, Kentucky and Indiana and rooted for MD, UVA, Wake and Duke (pre-K years with Spanarkel, Gminski, Dennard and Banks - fun team to watch). Pretty good judgment call as a kid to hate Kentucky and Indiana.

The expansion into cable TV didn't happen until much, much later. Oklahoma and Georgia sued the NCAA in the early 80s and won, leading to the ridiculous availability in televised NCAA football and basketball games that you see today.

If Baylor wins, will Dick Wolf start a new program - Law & Order -Baylor?

This game could be over quickly if Zags don't start boxing out.

Gonzaga looks scared of the Baylor players in the paint, on both ends.

Baylor crushed Houston. Thought it was going to be close. Maybe Baylor is better than thought.
Zags squeaked by UCLA. Thought they would dominate. Maybe the Zags aren’t as good as thought.

Totally fine with Gonzaga getting run out of the gym just based on that doofus Timme and his idiotic mustache celebration alone.

Back