• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020-21 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread - Will the Zags Go Unbeaten?

Baylor roughed them up and fucked them without permission.

Totally. Scott Drew also made Mark Few his bitch.

When playing man, Gonzaga has switched on screens all year, but last night was the first time anyone exposed Drew Timme when he switched on to a quicker guard as Mitchell and Butler just dusted Timme like he was the old fat dude trying to play with the kids in a pick up game. Then, when Few went zone, Drew put Teague at the foul line and whenever the Zags extended to stop the three, Baylor hit Teague on the elbow and then the Bears shredded Gonzaga in the paint. Just a clinic. Also, last night's game will be Exhibit A for all coaches moving forward on the importance of getting 50/50 balls. Baylor was on the floor all night and seemingly deflected every Gonzaga pass. Max effort all night. Loved it.

I will say that I thought Gonzaga did a pretty good job of protecting against the drive/layup combo that Baylor has done well all year. They anticipated those pretty well. The problem is they would then be burnt on the dish out for the three or Baylor would just drive and hit a stepback jumper in the paint instead of going to the rim. That is another underrated element of Baylor's game-- the willingness to take the open midrange shot.

Baylor also hit 10-23 3-point FGs. Part of what makes Baylor so tough to beat is they shot 41.8% from 3 on the year. Wake shot 34.7% from 3 this year, btw.

Baylor finished the season as the #1 3 point shooting team in the country. They also play relentless defense. Lethal combo.

Last edited:
and they crush the offensive glass without seeming to give up too much in transition D

Yep. Gotta agree with Charles Barkley on this one - Baylor was simply a (much) better team. This game was no fluke - if Gonzaga and Baylor played 10 times Baylor would likely win 8 or 9 of those games.

Completely agree. Even more impressive is how Baylor's 2 true bigs fouled out and played limited mins. throughout game due to foul trouble forcing Baylor to go smaller which often lead to some of the Zags runs when Timme would get a lot of easy inside points. Vital was often the one big who is only 6' 5" but played like Barkley in his prime the way he was always around the ball and tried his best to clog it up. But if either one of their bigs isn't in foul trouble and they play more of the game I think it is a 20+ run away as they just dominated the boards and paint when either of them were in.

In what world did Chuck play D? He has often stated, "they didnt pay me to play D."

In Gonzaga’s defense, I did not see anyone all tournament who could stay in front of Mitchell.

Lots of Praise Jesus stuff from Scott Drew there postgame - at one point he apparently said they were playing for Jesus, Others, Yourself. I guess he's aiming to be the Dabo Swinney of college basketball.

He represents Baylor. And Waco. That's Baptist Central, unlike Wake Forest, which these days is pretty much a Baptist Jersey Shore.

Maybe we need to be throwing out the praise Jesus stuff a little more often. In ten years, Scott Drew has eclipsed the entire basketball history of Wake Forest at a program whose hoops program was an afterthought even before Dave Bliss put it on the front page for the wrong reasons.

Since 2010, Baylor has 1 National Championship, 2 Elite Eight appearances, 2 Sweet Sixteens, and 8 NCAA Tournament appearances. Pretty sure if there was a tourney last year, you'd be adding to one of those first three numbers. And since for some reason we hang our NIT Champs banner, he has one of those too. That's a remarkable run, even if they had lost last night.

In our prime years with Odom and Skip, we had 1 Elite Eight appearance, 3 Sweet Sixteens, and 12 NCAA Tournament appearances (and an NIT Championship) in 15 seasons.

So yeah, if it helps, praise Jeebus.

Jeebus had nothing to with winning. Being willing to cheat does.

Jeebus had nothing to with winning. Being willing to cheat does.

Who currently in the Baylor program did Drew cheat to get?

Or are you just making an unsubstantiated blanket statement that this Baylor team won because they cheated because you don't like Drew?

There have been lots of basketball programs directly connected to cheating in recent years (Arizona, L'ville, Kansas, even Duke), but I missed it (which is certainly possible) if any player currently in the Baylor program has been linked to improper inducements. Educate please.

Last edited:
As recently as 2016, Scott Drew was voted the second dirtiest coach in college basketball by his peers. This was also the case in 2012. To think he has stopped since 2016 is illogical as he had made millions for over a decade by being dirty.

As recently as 2016, Scott Drew was voted the second dirtiest coach in college basketball by his peers. This was also the case in 2012. To think he has stopped since 2016 is illogical as he had made millions for over a decade by being dirty.

And if we didn't have Forbes, we'd be clamoring to drink Scott Drew's jizz to get him to coach at Wake. The coaching fraternity is a fickle thing, like a sorority house, with all its petty jealousies and suspicions.

Wake would never hire Drew nor with many other schools. It would be one thing if his tactics were only questioned in coming back from the Dave Bliss debacle as there has been a lot of coaching churn in the past eighteen years. However, it has been consistent through a generation of insiders.

Add on top of that the history of Baylor allowing and covering up criminal activity throughout this century is another factor.

That place stinks to high heaven and has for a while.

Timme is not like Hansbrough. At all. Plus he's a true sophomore. Barring injuries, he will make bank in the NBA due to his size and skillset.

I really like Timme's game for college a lot but his game reminds me of Jahlil Okafor, who flamed out (is flaming out) in the NBA

I really like Timme's game for college a lot but his game reminds me of Jahlil Okafor, who flamed out (is flaming out) in the NBA

Maybe. But he has room to grow. I seem to recall that Laettner toughened up a lot between his soph and junior years, and maybe Timme's on the same track. His frame is pretty thin and his shoulders not particularly broad, but he has a LOT of room to beef up.

I wish people accused Wake of being dirty and cheating and stinking to high heaven because it would mean that we were winning. Has Drew gotten Baylor on probation? No . Has Drew won a fucking national championship? Yes. Sign me up for that.

edit: I see Baylor did have some violations and Drew was suspended for for a couple of games in 2012 for ....sending too many text messages and making too phone calls. Again, the juice is worth the squeeze.

Maybe. But he has room to grow. I seem to recall that Laettner toughened up a lot between his soph and junior years, and maybe Timme's on the same track. His frame is pretty thin and his shoulders not particularly broad, but he has a LOT of room to beef up.

strength isn't my concern

his offensive footwork is incredible and his feel for the game is great, and I thought similarly of Okafor at Duke -- for that reason, I thought he was a high-floor NBA guy who could at least be a scorer off the bench or a third option on a good team

but the same athletic limitations and lack of shooting range is what I think will limit his pro prospects

if he comes back with a J though, he's making a big leap in the right direction (though may not be best for his college team)

Last edited:
Back