Page 1 of 66 1234561151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 1319

Thread: 2020-21 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread - Will the Zags Go Unbeaten?

  1. #1

    2020-21 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread - Will the Zags Go Unbeaten?

    The men's college basketball season is set to start on Wednesday, and here are the top four college basketball stories:

    - Rick Barnes tests positive; Tennessee drops out of their season opening tournament
    - Duke cancels its season opener against Gardner-Webb because a GW player tests positive (does that open a TV slot for WF?)
    - Ole Miss cancels 1st 4 games; pauses until December 7
    - #1 Baylor's coach Scott Drew tests positive; #18 Arizona State then withdraws from this week's Empire State Classic as a result (ASU was supposed to play Baylor; now the entire event which is supposed to also include Villanova and BC is in doubt)

    This season hasn't started, but with the cases spiking, seems like the season is already careening off a cliff. We shall see.
    Last edited by Pilchard; 02-28-2021 at 02:00 PM.

  2. #2
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    119,875
    Seriously need to consider waiting until January or February and doing “May Madness.”

  3. #3
    Historically Competitive
    vtwhat etc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    4,668
    https://sports.yahoo.com/can-college...204412040.html

    IMO, it's pretty stunning how many lemmings are seemingly willing to walk off of this ledge tomorrow.

    When this is all shut down in a week or two, the decision to play a couple not-so-comptetitive OOC games is going to look really, really bad.

  4. #4

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by vtwhat etc View Post
    https://sports.yahoo.com/can-college...204412040.html

    IMO, it's pretty stunning how many lemmings are seemingly willing to walk off of this ledge tomorrow.

    When this is all shut down in a week or two, the decision to play a couple not-so-comptetitive OOC games is going to look really, really bad.
    I'm not saying you're wrong that basketball season could implode, but I believe I remember you coming in with links saying there's no way we'd play football this season, yet here we are.

  6. #6
    Just create a mega tournament with regional group stages that start in February. Wake could host and play UNCG, High Point, NC A&T, App State, etc. The winner and runner-up of the 6-8 team group stage moves on to the next stage. A larger regional tournament would be the next round.

  7. #7
    With vaccines so close to distribution it seems like we should just put this shit on hold for a few months. Run through a conference season in February and March and do a big tournament in April.

  8. #8
    Historically Competitive
    vtwhat etc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    4,668
    Quote Originally Posted by Resilient Deac View Post
    I'm not saying you're wrong that basketball season could implode, but I believe I remember you coming in with links saying there's no way we'd play football this season, yet here we are.
    Fair enough.

    I posted more about the impending shit-show with mid-season cancellations... but this is still a fascinating thread to read back through: https://www.ogboards.com/forums/show...ootball-issues

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    Seriously need to consider waiting until January or February and doing “May Madness.”
    Rick Pitino is plagiarizing Ph's ideas!

  10. #10
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    119,875

    2020-21 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread - Seems Like A Disaster Waiting To Happen

    A tournament atmosphere!
    Last edited by PhDeac; 11-24-2020 at 12:13 PM.

  11. #11
    ACCT moved to Greensboro.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    Seriously need to consider waiting until January or February and doing “May Madness.”
    If you started in mid Feb, you might be able to have the players and coaching staffs vaccinated in the 1st or 2nd wave. Then yeah, May Madness. You'd be less likely to lose a ton of televised games that way. And it's not like the NBA draft will be in late June.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    Seriously need to consider waiting until January or February and doing “May Madness.”
    I think January can only be worse. Probably a lot worse.
    Let’s get this done!

  14. #14
    Steve Lepore GoDeacsGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Winston-Salem
    Posts
    1,201
    I don't see anything changing in the next 4-6 months regarding case spikes. Even if they start with a vaccine in mid Dec they start with healthcare workers and old people. given some will need 2 shots 30 days apart I think we have look at this season (regardless of sport) with an ever changing fluid schedule. It is what it is. I cant see delaying the start will really do anything. Young people won't get the vaccine until probably March or April.
    I heart Hartman

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDeacsGo View Post
    I don't see anything changing in the next 4-6 months regarding case spikes. Even if they start with a vaccine in mid Dec they start with healthcare workers and old people. given some will need 2 shots 30 days apart I think we have look at this season (regardless of sport) with an ever changing fluid schedule. It is what it is. I cant see delaying the start will really do anything. Young people won't get the vaccine until probably March or April.
    Later than March or April. I'm healthy and in my 50s. I asked my doc when she thought it might be available for someone like me, and she was guessing maybe April. It's probably next Summer before most everyone who wants to get the vaccine will have gotten both doses. Then there's that 30-40% of the country who won't get it.

  16. #16
    Heels led CofCharleston 39-32 @ half, trailed by 1 @ 15 min mark then stretched it out on offensive glass to win by 19. The vaunted recruiting class of shooters helped the Holes shoot 39% from the field and 4/18 from 3.

  17. #17
    Pitt down 12 to St Francis of PA w/o 8:26 to go second half. Capel better pick it up if he wants the Duke job in 20 yrs.

  18. #18
    Broderick Hicks
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Providence, RI
    Posts
    3,452
    Quote Originally Posted by cville deac View Post
    If you started in mid Feb, you might be able to have the players and coaching staffs vaccinated in the 1st or 2nd wave. Then yeah, May Madness. You'd be less likely to lose a ton of televised games that way. And it's not like the NBA draft will be in late June.
    If college athletes and coaches are in the first or second wave ahead of professors (and other teachers) then you will see me on CNN raising hell somewhere along with plenty of other folks.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by deacdixieboy View Post
    If college athletes and coaches are in the first or second wave ahead of professors (and other teachers) then you will see me on CNN raising hell somewhere along with plenty of other folks.
    This is the correct take. Damn, our priorities as a country are irrevocably fucked if we put healthy 20 year old athletes at the front of the vaccine line just so we can watch basketball.

  20. #20
    Pitt will be the first ACC team with a L. FWIW, St. Francis did win 22 games last year.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •