• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020-21 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread - Will the Zags Go Unbeaten?

VT taking it to Duke. Up 14 late in the first half.

Nice to see Chaundee Brown having such a great time on the basketball court. He deserves to have a year of fun after what he had to endure at Wake.

Nice to see Chaundee Brown having such a great time on the basketball court. He deserves to have a year of fun after what he had to endure at Wake.

Absolutely. That michigan squad has a legit shot this year to win it all.

UVA women’s hoop team joins the Duke women in opting out of the season

Do we have a coaching carousel thread?

Archie Miller on the hot seat at Indiana.

Made the tourney last year as a 10 seed, but hasn’t been above .500 yet in the B1G.

4th year at IU.

I wonder if this year will be like last year. We were the only P6 school that replaced a HC. Revenues are really low.

Do we have a coaching carousel thread?

Archie Miller on the hot seat at Indiana.

Made the tourney last year as a 10 seed, but hasn’t been above .500 yet in the B1G.

4th year at IU.

Seems a bit premature. He has them on an upward trajectory and he along with everybody else gets a pass this season.

I'd assume he gets one more year, but they are about to enter a brutal stretch of schedule.

Big Ten Record:
2018 - 9-9
2019 - 8-12
2020 - 9-11
2021 - 3-4 (so far)

My reason for posting is less that I think he'll be fired... More that he was viewed as a slam dunk hire and someone that most of us would have been really excited about a few years ago.

Hiring coaches can be difficult.

the answer to the holy cross question is bob cousy

No question that the tanking economy/pandemic saved a ton of coaches jobs this past year, but there has been a fair amount of movement in college football, and the super-rich remain super-rich (or even richer) and they are the ones that fund coaching changes. So, I think that there will be more college basketball coaches sent packing after this season.

Among ACC teams, got to think that Jim Christian at BC and Larranaga at Miami are on the hot seat (Larranaga is 71; he may not get fired, but it's probably time to retire). Also, Mike Brey has seen his best days at ND. They haven't made the tourney since 2017 and his ACC record over the last 3 seasons is 13-30. They did get Yale's Paul Atkinson via the transfer portal, but in general, ND basketball has not recruited well over recent years. Seems like Brey is collecting checks at this point.

In the Power conferences:

Big 10

Penn State -- Jim Ferry was an interim hire after Board fave Pat Chambers was dumped. The Lions will conduct a full search after the season.
IU -- As mentioned above Miller is on the hot-seat
Maryland -- Terp fans are perpetually unhappy with Turgeon
Michigan -- Howard is killing it, got to think the NBA will come calling at some point

Big 12

Iowa St. -- Steve Prohm was once a hot name, but that program has tanked 18-41 in the Big 12 since 2017
K State -- Leash is shorter when you run and an offense that is painful to watch; 4-19 in the Big 12 since 2019

SEC

UGA -- The Tom Crean experience has been a disaster. He's a douche too.
Vandy -- Stackhouse will get another year, but 3 conference wins in two seasons with talent on hand.
LSU - No one is dirtier than Will Wade; will LSU keep looking the other way?

Big East

DePaul - IIRC, DePaul somehow extended Dave Leitao last year; going back to his destruction of the UVA program, not only does Leitao have losing conference record over his 8 seasons as a coach, his BEST conference record over that span is 5-11. His career conference record in the Big East at DePaul is 19-75. Ouch.

G'town - It helps to be a legend, but not only has Ewing lost big at G'town, but his best players transferred. Maybe one more year.

St. John's - Too early to get fired, but no sign of progress in Jamaica for Mike Anderson.

Marquette - Wojo is in his 7th season at Marquette, and he has ZERO NCAA wins, and two winning conference records.

Pac 12

Not really a power conference, but not sure what is up with Mike Hopkins at Washington. Things looked good early, but the program is in huge nosedive. They are 1-10 this year with losses to UC Riverside by 15 and Montana by 8. The Huskies are 0-6 in the conference, and they are getting blown out with regularity (lost last night to USC by 27).

Last edited:
SEC

UGA -- The Tom Crean experience has been a disaster. He's a douche too.

crean1jpg.jpg

635600162080424421-tomcrean.0.0.jpg

Last edited:
Man, I'm really glad we've got our coach for the foreseeable future and feel good about it. I don't think if we had waited one more year with Manning that Forbes would have been available.

Always an interesting read... The current hot seat report from Coaches Database

https://www.coachesdatabase.com/hot-seat-report/

reading this made me look up Mac McClung. Dude is killing it for Texas Tech. Would've been fun to have him, but probably would've blocked Carter Whitt getting run this year. Hard to decide between Whitt getting a ton of PT or getting to watch McClung for a year or two.

Back