• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020-21 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread - Will the Zags Go Unbeaten?

Clemson is good this year. Brownell has a clue, but they are tough to watch.

Brownell has always been a good defensive coach, but he's never gotten enough 4*s.

FSU/Indiana was a good game. I've always liked Archie Miller, and I'm kinda rooting for him there even though I've always hated Indiana (because of Knight). I don't know why more college teams don't play pack line man. When played well, it takes away most inside looks and takes other teams deep in the shot clock. What beats it is great outside shooting and good stretch 4s for high pick and rolls. But how many college teams shoot great from deep and have good stretch 4s?

So now K wants not play the season? Nice timing.

Would rather hear it from someone else. K is the same guy that punted on his team in 1996 when his team was headed for Duke's worst team in decades; what coincidence that he couldn't coach when his team was terrible. Now that Duke is 2-2 and staring at a mediocre season, he thinks its time to pause after getting worked at home by Illinois? Taking that position would be more effective if his team was kicking ass, but they suck, and K now thinks its the time to stop. Is he going to try get the home losses to Illinois and MSU wiped off his record too?

Understand there are issues surrounding trying to play sports in the current environment, but hearing it from him after it looks like Duke may be middle rung ACC team means nothing. Something tells me that if COVID was surging, but Duke's roster was brimming with Zion, Barrett, Reddish and Jones, K would be claiming how important playing basketball is to provide a distraction for the country.

Nate Oats @ Alabama responds:

"Do you think if Coach K hadn't lost his two non-conference games at home that he would still be saying that?" Oats said at a news conference Thursday, adding, "We 100 percent should be playing basketball."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/30491771/alabama-coach-nate-oats-asks-mike-krzyzewski-questions-playing-tied-losses

If the NCAA doesn't bow down to K and cancel the season, how many more L's until that old back starts acting up?

His actual quote is much more nonsensical and dumb than that little synopsis made it sound.

Oats: Can I ask you something? Because I just want to know your opinion. Do you think if Coach K hadn’t lost the two non-conference games at home, if he’d still be saying that?

Reporter: Probably not.

Oats: OK. That’s—I just wanted you to say it, not me. So. I, uh, look, here’s—here’s my deal on it. I think we’d have a whole lot more problems if we weren’t playing games, like they—they—I mean—tho—everybody talks about CO—here’s the other thing. If COVID’s so bad, all these coa—I—I’m—look, I’m trying to do my best to keep the mask up. I’ve already had COVID, so I don’t even—I, technically, I shouldn’t have to keep it up. Nobody can get it from me. No—I’m still within the 150 days of the NCAA’s recommended—I see all these other guys that haven’t had it and their mask’s down the whole game. It’s like they got a chin strap on. So if they’re really worried about COVID, you’d think their mask would be up the whole game, right? Like, I mean, so, I think some of them are using—uh, no, we should be playing in my opinion. We 100 percent should be playing basketball. Nobody talks about the mental—I—I—there’s a kid out of Detroit that went to another high major that I just talked to his uncle the other day ’cause his, uh, his cousin played for me in Detroit. He went to a high major school somewhere—mental health issue, came home because he was quarantined for weeks on end when he got there. Like what—what are these guys going to do if—I got three daughters, like, they need to be in school. Like, humans aren’t made to sit alone in isolation for weeks and weeks on end. I mean, we gotta—we gotta be careful with how we do life, but you still gotta do life. Part of life—a huge part of life for all these guys I’m coaching is being in the gym playing basketball. So, I think their mental health is in a much better spot playing basketball and I think the school, the SEC, the NCAA’s done a really good job making sure that we’re not putting any of them in danger. So, I—no. I don’t agree with them at all, and I—you answered the question for me, so, thanks.

K backed it up though unless people think he was afraid of losing to Elon.

K backed it up though unless people think he was afraid of losing to Elon.

Guess you can call it "backing it up", but IMO, Duke skipping their remaining TWO OOC was an attempt to save face. If after implying that the season should end or be suspended, if Duke continued to play games, K would either have to backtrack on his position, admit that he was overruled or acknowledge that he was just frustrated because his team sucks and he wanted to use COVID as an excuse. Unwilling or unable to admit that he is hypocrite (who said just a few months ago that "college basketball must be played"), K took the half-ass approach of canceling games against Charleston Southern and Gardner-Webb. Oh, wow! What a principled stand!

No chance that K would want the season suspended if Duke had a National Championship caliber squad. Instead he has one of his weaker teams, and he doesn't feel like putting up with COVID hassles with coaching a forgettable team. I kind of get it. He's old, his team isn't going anywhere, and COVID does make playing a total hassle. Just hate that almost everyone buys into the "I coach for relationships" handle, and "I just do it for the kids" mantra, when he clearly is motivated to add accolades and eliminate the negatives from his resume.

Guess you can call it "backing it up", but IMO, Duke skipping their remaining TWO OOC was an attempt to save face. If after implying that the season should end or be suspended, if Duke continued to play games, K would either have to backtrack on his position, admit that he was overruled or acknowledge that he was just frustrated because his team sucks and he wanted to use COVID as an excuse. Unwilling or unable to admit that he is hypocrite (who said just a few months ago that "college basketball must be played"), K took the half-ass approach of canceling games against Charleston Southern and Gardner-Webb. Oh, wow! What a principled stand!

No chance that K would want the season suspended if Duke had a National Championship caliber squad. Instead he has one of his weaker teams, and he doesn't feel like putting up with COVID hassles with coaching a forgettable team. I kind of get it. He's old, his team isn't going anywhere, and COVID does make playing a total hassle. Just hate that almost everyone buys into the "I coach for relationships" handle, and "I just do it for the kids" mantra, when he clearly is motivated to add accolades and eliminate the negatives from his resume.

This is very true. K's ego guides much of what he says and does. Easy to understand why he goes the one and done route with Duke supposedly a school of higher learning. He just wants to outdo Calipari. Truth is he could do just as well by using the UVa, Villanova and Gonzaga model and recruit guys who stay 3-4 years.

This is very true. K's ego guides much of what he says and does. Easy to understand why he goes the one and done route with Duke supposedly a school of higher learning. He just wants to outdo Calipari. Truth is he could do just as well by using the UVa, Villanova and Gonzaga model and recruit guys who stay 3-4 years.

I hope that is the model Forbes follows at Wake. Villanova et al is pretty good company to be in.

If you're K at Duke, you can recruit the best players in the country. Why use the Nova model if you don't have to?

Bingo. The Kentucky and Kansas model is going to give you better odds year in and year out. If this years team doesn’t work, time for a fresh start next year.

And Duke AD, President, etc seem to be fine with it.

Florida’s Keyontae Johnson, SEC POY, just collapsed on the court. Doesn’t look good. Yet they are still playing.

Back