• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020-21 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread - Will the Zags Go Unbeaten?

In the "can you believe this ish" department, unc fans always cry about the officiating in games just like they did today. Hey morons, UK had 4 players foul out and you had none. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I watched the Butler - Indiana game today. Butler led at halftime. Like Wake, Butler was playing after an extended pause and three practices. At halftime, the announcers suggested Butler would be a unable to keep up to the pace in the second half due to conditioning and not having their "game" legs. Indiana ramped up the pressure and the speed of the game, Butler was a step slower and IU cruised to victory. Keep this in mind when the Deacs return to action. Using an extended bench may mitigate the effect somewhat, but the same could be true of the Deacs.

Just wanted to give some props to Pat Kelsey.

This year's Winthrop team is special. They already dusted the two SOCON favorites UNCG, by 8, and then this past Saturday,Furman, by 16 in a thoroughly dominating performance. FWIW, the SOCON, Forbes' conference when he coached at ETSU, is a far superior conference to Winthrop's Big South conference, but it's clear that Winthrop is better than any SOCON team this year.

Winthrop only has Big South games left, and will be heavy favorites in each (probably double digits+). With the exception of Gonzaga, Winthrop has the best chance of being undefeated heading into the NCAA Tourney of any team in the country. FWIW, Winthrop is the fastest team in the country on offense as their average possession length is 13.4 seconds. Assuming this COVID thing ends and college basketball turnover begins again at the end of this season; Kelsey will find himself with offers from some Power 6 programs.

Just wanted to give some props to Pat Kelsey.

This year's Winthrop team is special. They already dusted the two SOCON favorites UNCG, by 8, and then this past Saturday,Furman, by 16 in a thoroughly dominating performance. FWIW, the SOCON, Forbes' conference when he coached at ETSU, is a far superior conference to Winthrop's Big South conference, but it's clear that Winthrop is better than any SOCON team this year.

Winthrop only has Big South games left, and will be heavy favorites in each (probably double digits+). With the exception of Gonzaga, Winthrop has the best chance of being undefeated heading into the NCAA Tourney of any team in the country. FWIW, Winthrop is the fastest team in the country on offense as their average possession length is 13.4 seconds. Assuming this COVID thing ends and college basketball turnover begins again at the end of this season; Kelsey will find himself with offers from some Power 6 programs.

I think we can all say we’re happy with Forbes and where our program is heading.

But if we didn’t pull in Forbes, he would’ve been my number 2 on Currie’s list. I didn’t want Miller or Odom and certainly not Amaker (not sure that was ever really a thing).

The fightin' Wes Millers lost to a SoCon team? Don't expect to see the sun come up tomorrow.

Just another sign of how messed up this season is.

Gonzaga was looking to fill out its schedule after missing 17 days for a COVID pause; so, they hosted Northwestern State (from Natchitoches, LA) twice -- on consecutive nights. Gonzaga beat NW State 95-57 on Monday and then again 95-78 last night (guess the Zags defense wasn't as into it on night two). Tonight, Northwestern State plays Washington State; so, NW State will be playing 3 nights in a row, before starting their Southland Conference schedule next week. So, NW State will be playing more games since Monday than WF has all season.

Also, DePaul plays Western Illinois (Marcus Watson) today. This will be DePaul's first game as COVID shutdown the Blue Demons since before Thanksgiving. DePaul will be the last team from a Power 6 conference (ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Big East, Pac 12, SEC) to play a game this year. Excluding the Ivy League who opted out of the season, and the Patriot League who opted to only play conference games starting in January (except for Army and Navy), there will be 3 D1 teams that have not played a game (several teams have only played D2, D3 or NAIA teams): Siena, Merrimack and Fordham. Two schools, Maryland-Eastern Shore and Bethune Cookman opted to cancel their seasons.

Last edited:
Chicago State Cougars bagged their season. The are in the midst of 29 game losing streak dating back to December 2019 and are 0-9 this season with not even a single digit loss. IIRC, their coach is a cancer survivor and already opted out of the season. The Cougars played their last game this past Sunday and lost 111-67 to Drake.

So how many kids, coaches, and staff across the ncaa have caught it so far? Is it cynical to assume ncaa is not keeping track?

The NCAA only tracks those dolla dolla bills, y’all.

So how many kids, coaches, and staff across the ncaa have caught it so far? Is it cynical to assume ncaa is not keeping track?

Trust me, the schools and conferences know and share what they want. None of this is a NCAA decision. Wake took a big break for an extensive outbreak, others have approached it many different ways. Privacy of the players matters more than our thirst for more info. Hoping we can get to March- April.

Duke women just cancelled the rest of their season. I assume that will be the first of many.

Trust me, the schools and conferences know and share what they want. None of this is a NCAA decision. Wake took a big break for an extensive outbreak, others have approached it many different ways. Privacy of the players matters more than our thirst for more info. Hoping we can get to March- April.

I do not have a voyeuristic "thirst for more info." I was talking about the ncaa and its member schools throwing student athletes in their care under the proverbial covid buss to make money on their backs.

I do not have a voyeuristic "thirst for more info." I was talking about the ncaa and its member schools throwing student athletes in their care under the proverbial covid buss to make money on their backs.

My point was the NCAA doesn't decide which teams play,when they play nor their Covid protocols. They will decide who plays in March and the distribution of those Millions but not now. You are partially right those decisions fall to the member schools and respective conferences.

I'm 100% right that the ncaa and member schools are playing the season to make money with... limited... interest in the long term wellbeing of the kids in their care.

Both of you are making the same point. The NCAA has taken no leadership role in managing this crisis. They’re only here to cash tournament checks. If the power conferences finally split from the NCAA to pay players and have their own tournament as has long been speculated, I’ll be all for it.

Back