• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020-21 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread - Will the Zags Go Unbeaten?

Pittsburgh article says the transfer is due to "unforeseen circumstances"... What in the hell could that mean?

Pittsburgh article says the transfer is due to "unforeseen circumstances"... What in the hell could that mean?

Could be anything from a family issue/emergency to realizing you hate the coach. Guess we'll just have to wait until the dust settles.

In the game against Wake Forest on 1/23/21, Pitt played 8 guys.

Toney played 37 minutes and went for 11-7-3
Johnson played 32 minutes and went for 14-3-8

Given we play them in less than a week, I have to think we can at least give them a game (even on the road).

WTF is going on at Pitt that two of their top three players enter the portal with games left on the schedule? I realize that WF has been bad recently, but this would be like if Williamson and Ody entered the transfer portal today, and said "Good luck with VT on Saturday". The only explanation would be if the school itself was about to suspend those players.

WTF is going on at Pitt that two of their top three players enter the portal with games left on the schedule? I realize that WF has been bad recently, but this would be like if Williamson and Ody entered the transfer portal today, and said "Good luck with VT on Saturday". The only explanation would be if the school itself was about to suspend those players.

Didn't over half the team leave over the past year or two?

So far this winter, Pittsburgh has recorded 48.4 inches of snow which is roughly 23 inches above average.

Didn't over half the team leave over the past year or two?

Yep. They have had a ton of turnover. When Pitt hired Kevin Stallings who everyone hated (completely idiotic hire), the entire team (who had a lot of talent) essentially transferred, including Cameron Johnson who went to UNC. That led to one of the worst teams in ACC history as the 2018 Panthers went 0-18 in conference. Pitt then fired Stallings and hired Capel, who appeared to make a little progress this year, until the recent transfer debacle. Like WF, Pitt's time as an basketball power is in hard fade mode. Between 2002 and 2011, Pitt made the NCAA every year, and went to 3 Sweet 16s, and one Elite 8. They haven't had a winning season since Jamie Dixon left in 2016.

FWIW, Justin Champagnie is only a sophomore. If he doesn't declare for the NBA, he would be a massively coveted transfer as he may be the best player in the ACC. His brother plays for St. Johns and Champagnie is from NY; so, I'm sure JC is already getting indirect messages about transfer options.

Last edited:
NCAA Tournament COVID rules:

As part of the seeding the tournament, in addition to seeding the 68 teams in the field, they are going to seed, and announce, the first 4 teams out in order.

If a team in the field of 68 can't play because of COVID testing after the bracket is announced, then a first four out team will replace them in their seeding spot.

For example, if Baylor is the #1 seed in a region, but they fail COVID testing after the bracket comes out, and the top ranked team of the first four group is Davidson, Davidson will slide into the #1 seed spot in Baylor's region. The one exception to this rule is that every one bid league (like the Big South) will name a replacement team for their conference representative if COVID knocks out their one bid representative. So, if Winthrop wins the Big South Tourney, but is then hit with COVID, the Big South replacement team (e.g., Longwood), would take Winthrop's spot in the bracket.

After 6 pm on Tuesday March 16 (Selection Sunday is March 14), no replacements will be allowed. So, the opponent of any team that can't play because of COVID after that date and time, will move forward in the tournament via forfeit. Guess that you need to factor in which schools are most likely to get COVID eliminated when filling out the bracket.

Also, I assumed that there will be no NIT this year. That is wrong. The NCAA (which now owns the NIT) will proceed as planned with a 32 team bracket. If none of the first four out teams make it into the NCAA field as COVID replacement, they will be the top 4 seeds in the NIT.

Last edited:

As part of the seeding the tournament, in addition to seeding the 68 teams in the field, they are going to seed, and announce, the first 4 teams out in order.

If a team in the field of 68 can't play because of COVID testing after the bracket is announced, then a first four out team will replace them in their seeding spot.

For example, if Baylor is the #1 seed in a region, but they fail COVID testing after the bracket comes out, and the top ranked team of the first four group is Davidson, Davidson will slide into the #1 seed spot in Baylor's region. The one exception to this rule is that every one bid league (like the Big South) will name a replacement team for their conference representative if COVID knocks out their one bid representative. So, if Winthrop wins the Big South Tourney, but is then hit with COVID, the Big South replacement team (e.g., Longwood), would take Winthrop's spot in the bracket.

After 6 pm on Tuesday March 16 (Selection Sunday is March 14), no replacements will be allowed. So, the opponent of any team that can't play because of COVID after that date and time, will move forward in the tournament via forfeit. Guess that you need to factor in which schools are most likely to get COVID eliminated when filling out the bracket.

Also, I assumed that there will be no NIT this year. That is wrong. The NCAA (which now owns the NIT) will proceed as planned with a 32 team bracket. If none of the first four out teams make it into the NCAA field as COVID replacement, they will be the top 4 seeds in the NIT.

Hold the fuck up. So no matter how high the seed is, the next up in the first four out queue will take that seed? Wouldn't it make more sense to just bump everyone already in the tourney up a spot and throw that first four out team in the last seed? I understand they would be most likely be better than a 16 seed, so maybe have them seeded where they would have been had they made the tourney and then bump everyone above that up a spot? It just seems absurd to put a likely 6 to 11 seed as one of the higher seeds.

I will add that I HIGHLY doubt a top 4 seed in any region will be casualties to this covid protocol. I'm betting at least one school gets dropped but it won't be a top seed. I'm so fucking glad Wake has sucked these past two seasons; imagine if we had some killer talent and legit shots at winning it in 19/20-20/21. I guess Gonzaga fans could tell us all about it.

For those teams that are locks to get into the tournament, Coaches (and the athletic departments) are going to be freaking out about staying COVID free between now and the tournament.

The combination of not wanting fly at this point and not trusting that many people in Indiana during Covid is keeping me from the Sweet 16 and Final Four this year. Free tix are hard to pass up.

At least L’viile didn’t let dook off the hook like FSU did with unc. I think all we got to hope for is dook missing the tourney and unc with some crap seeding.

Caught 2 recent Michigan games. They're really good. Also like Illinois' big man Cockburn. The B-10 is so much more watchable this year than the ACC.

Pitt lost their 2nd and 3rd leading scorers this week, forcing the Panthers to rely on guys that haven’t played all season. They are hanging with NC State with under 10 minutes to go.

NWT :(

Back