• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Joins ESPN

I've been thinking about this... Why does Danny Manning want to do this? Boredom? Can he really not find an agreeable coaching role? It seems like such a bad idea.

Danny vs. Bzzzz as a color commentator, who gets the lowest ratings?

I've been thinking about this... Why does Danny Manning want to do this? Boredom? Can he really not find an agreeable coaching role? It seems like such a bad idea.

Just mind boggling how ESPN is letting loads of folks go but you are going to bring in the most boring coach alive???? What a fail by ESPN.

paint touches "jokes" stopped being funny years ago, if they ever even were

I get the backlash and I'm not going to tell yall how to feel ... but some of yall really overestimate how much the Wake job means to the non-Wake/non-ACC public perception of Danny.

He's still a larger-than-life national championship winner and always will be that for a certain portion of fans. ESPN needs people to watch, and that portion is going to watch Danny because of what he did 32 years ago and their opinions of him aren't going to change because he's a bad coach.

Shit, you could still find Kansas fans on Twitter last year saying Self was going to bring on staff and he was going to be their coach-in-waiting.

Well yeah...The Wake job took a major blow in reputation and perception after 4 disastrous years of you know who and then 6 years of the mannequin.

I can see Kansas fans tuning into a game because Manning is announcing, but is there really an audience out there that aren't Kansas fans who are going to watch because of what Danny did 32 years ago? I find that hard to believe.

I get the backlash and I'm not going to tell yall how to feel ... but some of yall really overestimate how much the Wake job means to the non-Wake/non-ACC public perception of Danny.

He's still a larger-than-life national championship winner and always will be that for a certain portion of fans. ESPN needs people to watch, and that portion is going to watch Danny because of what he did 32 years ago and their opinions of him aren't going to change because he's a bad coach.

Shit, you could still find Kansas fans on Twitter last year saying Self was going to bring on staff and he was going to be their coach-in-waiting.

My comments are more about his lack of personality than a lack of qualifications.

There is no doubt he's known more for his college playing career than anything that has happened since. A shitty tenure as the Wake Forest coach isn't going to change that.

I just don't get why he wants to do it.

This thread just goes to show how people love to rehash negative thoughts.

WF has its first basketball game in the Forbes era tomorrow; WF football has (may have) games against ranked Miami and ND over the next two weeks; yet, Danny Manning to ESPN is getting the attention here.

WGAF? Manning is a terrible basketball coach. He also is one of most accomplished college basketball players over the last 50 years, and was the #1 pick in the NBA draft. Based on his accomplishments as a player alone, ESPN will give him a shot as a talking head on college basketball; Jay Williams somehow parlayed his lesser basketball career and motorcycle misadventures to a career on ESPN. Since the sharpest college basketball coaches actually have jobs coaching basketball, ESPN has always been filled with guys who generally failed as college basketball coaches, including our own Dino Gaudio, and others like Seth Greenberg, Steve Lappas, Dan Dakich, and Fran Frachilla.

Last edited:
I can see Kansas fans tuning into a game because Manning is announcing, but is there really an audience out there that aren't Kansas fans who are going to watch because of what Danny did 32 years ago? I find that hard to believe.

I think so. I could be wrong; it happens often.

But I think there's a demographic out there of people who were impressionable basketball fans in '88 and have an opinion of Danny that won't change.

The other part of this is that if ESPN thinks it can enhance its roster of analysts -- studio or color -- with the titular character from one of the most-famous college basketball teams of all time, they're going to do it.

My comments are more about his lack of personality than a lack of qualifications.

There is no doubt he's known more for his college playing career than anything that has happened since. A shitty tenure as the Wake Forest coach isn't going to change that.

I just don't get why he wants to do it.

Being gainfully employed -- I know, I know, he's made a fortune and wouldn't *have* to work a day more in his life if he wanted -- seems like enough appeal to me.

Being gainfully employed -- I know, I know, he's made a fortune and wouldn't *have* to work a day more in his life if he wanted -- seems like enough appeal to me.

Yeah, I just figured he'd want to coach big men somewhere. But I guess a TV gig like he'll have won't require much (if any) travel right now. And he can take his time finding a coaching gig that fits.

Also possible that taking another coaching gig would affect whatever they negotiated his buyout to be. There is precedence for fired coaches to be on ESPN for a few years while collecting buyout money before jumping back into coaching.

Danny is going to make some poor schmuck 5th tier play-by-play announcer work his ass off.

Their opinions of him likely will change when they realize he's a bad and boring announcer, however. Except Kansas rubes who still think he walks on water.

Yeah, I just figured he'd want to coach big men somewhere. But I guess a TV gig like he'll have won't require much (if any) travel right now. And he can take his time finding a coaching gig that fits.

I think you’ve answered your own question. This has to be one of the easiest gigs anywhere and pays well. All you do is give whatever opinion pops into your head and people treat you like basketball royalty because of what you did in 1988. Keep your name and face in front of people and help rehab your image from anything negative about the Wake Forest tenure. Why would he not do this?

Back