• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Joins ESPN

This isn't Kansas. It's the Wake Forest Sports forum on OGBoards. WGAF about Manning. Didn't you folks get enough of him as a sorry ass coach? Quit rolling in the shit of the past six years of WF basketball.

What Manning has earned is to never be mentioned on this board again. Ever!

Doubt our game was even mentioned by ESPN but it would have been nice if Danny had to break it down on air.

I’m trying to remember how many years it was before Dino called one of our games. I think it was a 2-3 years.

Manning is a terrible basketball coach. He also is one of most accomplished college basketball players over the last 50 years, and was the #1 pick in the NBA draft.

This is why I wanted him to succeed at Wake. A successful tenure from a guy with those credits would've been terrific for our program. Alas ...

Wouldn't hire Danny to coach my niece's bball team.

He's a lifer ESPN commentator likely.

I get the backlash and I'm not going to tell yall how to feel ... but some of yall really overestimate how much the Wake job means to the non-Wake/non-ACC public perception of Danny.

He's still a larger-than-life national championship winner and always will be that for a certain portion of fans. ESPN needs people to watch, and that portion is going to watch Danny because of what he did 32 years ago and their opinions of him aren't going to change because he's a bad coach.

Shit, you could still find Kansas fans on Twitter last year saying Self was going to bring on staff and he was going to be their coach-in-waiting.

This exactly. Unless you hit rock bottom in some way we tend to remember people at their best. That’s why some people on this board are still talking about a chick named India 30 years later.

Good post. Wake basketball wasn’t relevant enough for people to know Manning failed as our head coach.

And even if Chaundee and Sarr blow up and Forbes has a good season with a reconstructed team, there won’t be a national narrative that Manning really sucked.

The only thing that will get attention is that Wake was the only program to make a coaching change during COVID.

Last edited:
Back