• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report: Longwood Lancers, 7 pm Friday November 27 - ACCN

Pilchard

Reaction score
On Friday, our Deacs take on the Longwood Lancers out of Farmville, VA for game 2 of Steve Forbes Dynasty.

The Lancers:

Longwood is a "slight" upgrade over Del. State (btw, Delaware State had several players, it appeared up to 6, mysteriously absent yesterday; not sure if it was COVID related or something else; so, while a 60 point win is awesome, let's keep in mind that came against a team that is not only awful, but almost half their team didn't show). Back to Longwood: the Lancers finished last year 14-18 (9-9) in a weak Big South, but their record was actually worse than it appears. When Longwood hired Griff Aldrich in 2018, the decision was made to play a soft a schedule as is possible: Longwood may be the only D-1 team to have not faced a top 100 foe since the 2017-8 season. The plan to build program confidence via similar low major opponents appears to be working as Longwood won a school record 9 Big South Conference games last year. After the Deacs win over DSU yesterday, WF is currently rated #117 in KP. At #117, WF will be the highest rated team Longwood has played since December 19, 2017.

This year's Longwood team lost 3 starters from last year's middle of the pack Big South squad, but they return their best player, 6-0 G Juan Munoz (10 ppg, 3 rpg, 3 apg); their second best returning player is 6-3 Deshaun Wade (9 ppg, 4 rpg) an ECU transfer; beyond Munoz and Wade, the Lancers will fill their lineup with 6-3 G So. Heru Bligen (4 ppg), 6-2 JUCO transfer G Jermaine Drewey, 6-1 Fr. G Justin Hill, 6-7 F Jr. Christian Wilson (6 ppg, 3rpg), 6-8 F Leslie Nkereuwem (4ppg, 4rpg), 6-7 Cal-Riverside transfer Zac Watson). If it seems that the Lancers are small and guard oriented, they are. Coach Aldrich generally plays the "4 out drive and kick out" offense. Longwood loves to shoot from deep as 42% of their shots came from behind the arc last year (#6 in the nation), while only 38% of their offense came from 2 (#351 in the nation). Naturally, defending the arc is the key to limiting the Lancers.

To the extent that Longwood has a strength it is on defense. Their were 2nd in the Big South in defensive efficiency, ranking in the top 3 in the conference in forcing turnovers, preventing offensive rebounds and 2 point FG% defense. Longwood's offense was terrible even for the Big South ranking DFL in the conference in offensive efficiency, and near the bottom in every offensive category (TO%, 2 PT%, 3 PT%, offensive rebound %) except for 3 point % and FT %. Overall, KP ranked Longwood as #339 in the country on offense -- bad. If the Lancers have trouble scoring against Delaware State's hapless defense today, that will be a bad sign for Longwood tomorrow. FWIW, I expect Longwood to win comfortably today as the current Delaware State squad may the worst in the nation.

Score Projection:

KP projects a 77-62 WF win tomorrow. Confident that Forbes will have the Deacs defending the 3 and given the depth that WF flashed yesterday, think it's more likely that the Deacs win by a bigger margin than the KP projection. While Longwood will present a marginally stiffer test than DSU, looking like the Deacs cruise again on Friday night.

BTW, Longwood has produced NBA talent. Jerome Kersey who was a key component of the strong Portland Blazer teams in the late 1980s and early 1990s, hails from Longwood. Also, Pat McGee of the Pat McGee Band is another alum claimed by the Lancers.

Last edited:
ESPN has DSU -7 over Longwood. Have no idea where that line is coming from because it doesn’t seem too accurate at all.

Kudos to Delaware St for even getting 50 on us if they were down that many guys.

ESPN has DSU -7 over Longwood. Have no idea where that line is coming from because it doesn�t seem too accurate at all.

ESPN has it backwards. The line is Longwood -7. Given what I saw yesterday, the Lancers seems like the play.

Other thread says a Del St player tested positive.

Don't think this game should be played. I am sure contact tracing protocols would basically prevent it from happening. It's going to a lot of missed game this year.

So....is this game still happening?

So....is this game still happening?

Sounds like it. Assuming that Wake will be getting test results back in the morning and that will determine wether it’s played or not. Hoping for the best.

Will we score 100+ again?

Longwood is a crap team, but they play at a much slower tempo than DSU, and they actually try to play defense. Doubt WF will experience the same offensive explosion tonight.

Maybe here's the 3 ways I see it happening, we get to 97 and make a 3, we get to 98 and make a 2 or a 3 or we get to 99 make a free throw a 2 or a 3.

"How do you win?"

"Volume, shear volume."

So did Del St cancel their game with Longwood due to additional Covid positive tests or did they cancel because they just got a 60 point beatdown with 8 guys on their team and decided to cancel the game? If they had more positive tests among guys who played, I'm not sure how this game gets played.

Well damn, this is the first game I have seen on the schedule and planned to watch in roughly 10 years. I missed the Del St. game but am watching it now. Not sure that we will fair so well against ACC teams, but it was nice to see we have a lot of dudes who can shoot. It's been a long time since that has happened. Hope we get to play. All in on Forbes so I'll watch every game I can this year. Watching him actually coach for 40 minutes was as exciting as anything.

Well damn, this is the first game I have seen on the schedule and planned to watch in roughly 10 years. I missed the Del St. game but am watching it now. Not sure that we will fair so well against ACC teams, but it was nice to see we have a lot of dudes who can shoot. It's been a long time since that has happened. Hope we get to play. All in on Forbes so I'll watch every game I can this year. Watching him actually coach for 40 minutes was as exciting as anything.

+100

This is the first time in years that I have:

1) Cared enough to even bother to be cognizant of our schedule to know when and whom we played;
2) Planned to watch the game;
3) Looked forward to watching the game;
4) Expected to have a good time watching the Deacs;
5) Expected the Deacons to win handily over an overmatched opponent;
6) Expected to be in a good mood after watching the Deacons play basketball;
7) Not expected to later regret having smashed yet another TV remote in a fit of rage while watching the Deacs play basketball;
8) Not expected to have to later coax the dogs out from under the bed after the game, where they have been cowering in fear of my loudly cursing Danny Manning, Name Redacted, and/or various dumb hero-ball plays by poorly coached players; and
9) Not expected to later regret having wasted two perfectly good hours watching the Deacs get embarrassed yet again, and being ashamed of how I angry I allowed them to make me.

In short, it's good to have hope again. I sure hope it lasts.

Last edited:
+100

This is the first time in years that I have:

1) Cared enough to even bother to be cognizant of our schedule to know when and whom we played;
2) Planned to watch the game;
3) Looked forward to watching the game;
4) Expected to have a good time watching the Deacs;
5) Expected the Deacons to win handily over an overmatched opponent;
6) Expected to be in a good mood after watching the Deacons play basketball;
7) Not expected to later regret having smashed yet another TV remote in a fit of rage while watching the Deacs play basketball;
8) Not expected to have to later coax the dogs out from under the bed after the game, where they have been cowering in fear of my loudly cursing Danny Manning, Name Redacted, and/or various dumb hero-ball plays by poorly coached players; and
9) Not expected to later regret having wasted two perfectly good hours watching the Deacs get embarrassed yet again, and being ashamed of how I angry I allowed them to make me.

In short, it's good to have hope again. I hope sure it lasts.

This. All of this. Every single bit of this.

Yes love it all. Still no word so looks like game is still on for 7.

Back