• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Miami Game Postponed Again

I don't think so. Players and coaches will work this out, play a few more regular season games, and, with some luck and good fortune, get a bowl invitation.

For recruiting, reputation building and team development, Clawson, coaches and players want to keep the bowl streak going if there is any reasonable way to do so.
If we were to bag the season now (which we won't), the AD would still spin it as "x years in a row bowl eligible", which we kinda-sorta would would be with a 4-3 record.

I remember a number of years ago a year-end summary to the Deacon Club members listed every team that had been nationally ranked that year (some of them for only a week or two, including one IIRC that was nationally ranked preseason and lost its 1st game and was never ranked again), and the number of wins against ranked teams over all sports that year, regardless if a) the opponent was ranked when we beat them, or b) if the opponent was ranked at the end of the year.
All AD's do this stuff, so Wake is probably par for the course in spinning the "success" of its athletic program.

If we were to bag the season now (which we won't), the AD would still spin it as "x years in a row bowl eligible", which we kinda-sorta would would be with a 4-3 record.

I remember a number of years ago a year-end summary to the Deacon Club members listed every team that had been nationally ranked that year (some of them for only a week or two, including one IIRC that was nationally ranked preseason and lost its 1st game and was never ranked again), and the number of wins against ranked teams over all sports that year, regardless if a) the opponent was ranked when we beat them, or b) if the opponent was ranked at the end of the year.
All AD's do this stuff, so Wake is probably par for the course in spinning the "success" of its athletic program.

"Bowl eligible" is not the same as "went to a bowl." Also, bowl eligible doesn't earn the extra practice days that bowl participation gets for the team.

"Bowl eligible" is not the same as "went to a bowl." Also, bowl eligible doesn't earn the extra practice days that bowl participation gets for the team.

Plus every team is technically bowl eligible this season anyway.

Actually, only Ron Wellman did that stuff.

Jimmy should get on the phone and try to schedule ECU for a game. Good for both sides and it will get us closer to 6 wins.

Jimmy should get on the phone and try to schedule ECU for a game. Good for both sides and it will get us closer to 6 wins.

The reason we aren't playing this week is because of Covid tests on our team. We can't schedule another game.

Sorry if posted in another thread.

Clawson held a presser today, and said that he expects WF to play again, and the plan is to play on December 12.

Also:

- WF does not have "many" positive cases, but because of contact tracing, a bunch of players are out under our COVID protocol.
- WF had no positive tests for three months, until this week.
- If no further outbreaks occur, WF plans to hold practice on Saturday.

Things can change, but sounds like, if there are no further outbreaks, WF will play ND on December 12, and then another game on December 19. Probably, L'ville.

Last edited:
And Miami is postponed again.........

Sorry if posted in another thread.

Clawson held a presser today, and said that he expects WF to play again, and the plan is to play on December 12.

Also:

- WF does not have "many" positive cases, but because of contact tracing, a bunch of players are out under our COVID protocol.
- WF had no positive tests for three months, until this week.
- If no further outbreaks occur, WF plans to hold practice on Saturday.

Things can change, but sounds like, if there are no further outbreaks, WF will play ND on December 12, and then another game on December 19. Probably, L'ville.

Now it's at Louisville on December 12 and FSU at home on December 19. No Miami or ND.

Welp, at least that's an easier schedule to close out the season.... so there's that.

6-3 would be nice.

Let's see what happens.

IF we do play the next two, I'll take Louisville/FSU over Miami/ND 7 days a week and twice on Sunday!

So let's say we finish out 5-4/6-3; what are the potential bowl game landing spots now that several have already been cancelled?

Bowl games are great and all, but it's not going to be all that fun this year and stayin in a bubble for another 10 days for an exhibition game might not be that apppealing. If we get to 6-3 I guess we'd be a lock though. I think the Mayo Bowl on 12/30 would be a strong contender against a sub-.500 B1G team and it wouldn't be difficult from a travel standpoint. That assumes the ACC will do the right thing and not let a bowl take a sub-500 ACC team like Va Tech, over us.

Getting both Clemson and ND into the playoff will help our bowl chances substantially.

Bowl games are dropping like flies and I predict that to keep happening. The NCAA and ACC Tournaments were covered by insurance, so I'm sure most, if not all of these bowls have insurance that will cover their stadium, promotional, and staffing fees due to pandemic. The Sun Bowl cancelled yesterday for the first time since 1936, the domino effect should have been activated by that news. So far 5 Bowls with ACC tie-ins have gotten the axe. I don't think we are going bowling even with a 6-3 record gentlemen.

El Paso has major problems with covid deaths right now. Charlotte has two NFL games scheduled in the next month. Same goes for Atlanta, Tampa, and Jacksonville.

The biggest risk for bowl games right now is they line up an opponenet who can't play at the last minute.

The only reasonable solution I see is for bowls to sponsor games at neutral or home sites that are a reasonable drive for two teams from different conferences. Just have to get around conference ties.

Duke’s Mayo is a workable neutral site for any number of teams. I think it will stay.

The Sun Bowl could be Maryland vs. Virginia in Charlottesville.

Bowl games are dropping like flies and I predict that to keep happening. The NCAA and ACC Tournaments were covered by insurance, so I'm sure most, if not all of these bowls have insurance that will cover their stadium, promotional, and staffing fees due to pandemic. The Sun Bowl cancelled yesterday for the first time since 1936, the domino effect should have been activated by that news. So far 5 Bowls with ACC tie-ins have gotten the axe. I don't think we are going bowling even with a 6-3 record gentlemen.

So far only 4 ACC bowls have canceled- Sun, Pinstripe, Fenway, Holiday. If no others cancel and both Clemson and ND make the CFP, then we should go to a bowl game.

Back