• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Miami Game Postponed Again

The only reasonable solution I see is for bowls to sponsor games at neutral or home sites that are a reasonable drive for two teams from different conferences. Just have to get around conference ties.

Duke’s Mayo is a workable neutral site for any number of teams. I think it will stay.

The Sun Bowl could be Maryland vs. Virginia in Charlottesville.

Not a neutral site in DC? Not College Park?

It begs the question, what actually makes a game a bowl game? Location? Sponsor agreeing to give their name to it? Teams involved? They’re all exhibitions so the Sun certainly could lend their name to another game in another location and keep their streak intact. Points to the ultimate meaninglessness of it though.

BTW if ever there were a year for us not to be behind the eight ball in terms of (perceived) low fan attendance/travel capabilities, it would be this year. Even if in reality we always hold our own.

BTW if ever there were a year for us not to be behind the eight ball in terms of (perceived) low fan attendance/travel capabilities, it would be this year. Even if in reality we always hold our own.

Yeah. I was thinking that this would be our year for the Sun Bowl. I was disappointed to see it get canceled.

It begs the question, what actually makes a game a bowl game? Location? Sponsor agreeing to give their name to it? Teams involved? They’re all exhibitions so the Sun certainly could lend their name to another game in another location and keep their streak intact. Points to the ultimate meaninglessness of it though.

Bowls are a luxury on many levels and something that could ultimately be scaled down or sacrificed without losing the integrity of the sport.

Yeah. I was thinking that this would be our year for the Sun Bowl. I was disappointed to see it get canceled.

Bowls are a luxury on many levels and something that could ultimately be scaled down or sacrificed without losing the integrity of the sport.

Bowls do have meaning to the teams and players who go to them. For the teams it is a recognition of a good to great season, depending on the bowl. It is one last chance for college football players to play a game with their team mates. Many college football players will not play an official football game again in their lives after they complete their college careers. It is an opportunity for the team to travel to a place they might not get to otherwise (Sun Bowl potentially for Wake, as a for instance.) Players get some nice bowl swag. Always good to get stuff at the end of the season.

It's bragging rights for team and fans. Also an excuse for a December trip, to hopefully a nice location.

For the coaches, it is 20 more practices, 20+ more days doing what they love doing: planning for a game and teaching their players. Those 20 practices are also huge for laying a foundation for the next season. By the end of the season, teams don't really need 20 practices to get ready for one more game. Some of the pr-bowl practices can be used to seriously look at the development of younger players and see where they might be as players in next year's team.

For the coaching staff, the 20 practices may be the best thing about the bowl game. It's equivalent to the spring practice sessions, with a live game/scrimmage against another team at the end.

Yeah. But that’s a luxury. These are challenging times.

“Bowl games are great for the extra practices” is the “Die Hard is a Christmas movie” of college football takes.

College players love bowl games - they're allowed to receive up to $550 worth of swag. Nobody loves free shit like college kids.

“Bowl games are great for the extra practices” is the “Die Hard is a Christmas movie” of college football takes.

And even so, it doesn't make much difference this seasons with many teams playing regular season games as late as Dec. 19

Back